Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
I never got round to contacting Audi about it, didn't want the hassle of having to take it in.

I've bought a clay bar kit and am going to see if I can remove them myself. I will post details if successful :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been on the Fiat 500 forum and looks like it is a common problem,seems like the cause is iron particles from brakes that settle and rust on the surface looks like a clay bar should sort it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
shakeystevo said:
I never got round to contacting Audi about it, didn't want the hassle of having to take it in.

I've bought a clay bar kit and am going to see if I can remove them myself. I will post details if successful :)
You still need to inform audi of the prob. I've noticed it on mine now after 2 weeks on the rear bumper. Nowhere else on car yet. But I will be informing them if it next week. At the end of the day it could be a potential recall prob if it's bumpers as they painted elsewhere. No clay bar will be going on my new paint work for a while. That's what we all have warranty for. AUDI NEED TO KNOW.  there are too many of us with same problem

·
Registered
127 Posts
tim said:
Been on the Fiat 500 forum and looks like it is a common problem,seems like the cause is iron particles from brakes that settle and rust on the surface looks like a clay bar should sort it.
Mine are in the middle of the rear bumper where tailgate shuts so brake dust up there I don't think that's the issue here 

·
Registered
512 Posts
New cars go through various places before they reach the dealers, vast majority of which are in industrial areas.

So you can imagine all the different fallouts etc etc...

A decent clay bar should sort it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Here is what mine look like:

Sorry for the bad photos but you have to get close to see them :) there are about 1mm

·
Registered
512 Posts
Nipz said:
Here is what mine look like:

Sorry for the bad photos but you have to get close to see them :) there are about 1mm
Your look worse than mine Nipz. Mine are circular and a bit smaller. Have them in several places too :(

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mine are next to wheel arches and on the flat part around the boot :(

Is this something to worry about? Should i be seeing my dealer to get them painted?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've got them again on my second A1. But last time, they were pale yellow spots and were right in the paintwork. This time, they are a deeper gold, more flecked - and they polish off quite easily.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Lady_SadlyBroke said:
I've got them again on my second A1. But last time, they were pale yellow spots and were right in the paintwork. This time, they are a deeper gold, more flecked - and they polish off quite easily.
I spent ages polishing my car today and sent time on them and didn't budge :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Look up a product on google called carpro iron x, vids on youtube show you can just spray on all contaminated areas iron particles turn the chemicals purple and just wipes off, seen a lot of detailers using it on detailingworld you can buy a bottle for £13 from polishedbliss.

·
Registered
127 Posts
lee3482 said:
Look up a product on google called carpro iron x, vids on youtube show you can just spray on all contaminated areas iron particles turn the chemicals purple and just wipes off, seen a lot of detailers using it on detailingworld you can buy a bottle for £13 from polishedbliss.
Maybe worth looking at. If no joy from Audi

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am concerned that anyone should use a clay bar on their new paintwork. Whilst it will not harm the paint it will remove a micro layer which is not something you would normally do on new paint. It is designed to restore older paintwork. I would suggest that you escalate this issue with Audi. Clearly there are a lot of cars in different parts of the country, all with the same problem, which clearly points to the manufacturing process. You have all paid a lot of money for Audi quality so let them resolve this under warranty.

If you do not report this to Audi they can't put thing right.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi

Although mine seem superficial this time around - I will raise it with my dealer, since I have noticed a different paintwork problem whilst cleaning the car over the weekend.

- I seem to have a patch (about 2cm x 1cm) where there is uneven paint layers - right on the edge of the offside rear wheelarch. Its obviously not 'damage' after it left the factory - a strange sort of peeled area under the top lacquer which you can feel more than you can see. Its like an area where the paint didn't take properly.

- So I might as well mention the gold flecks too - although most of them are gone now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same issue on an White S3, have clayed the car regularly (every 6 months ish), this removes the dots and makes an excellent job of the paintwork but the dots soon return, dots tend to appear behind the front wheels and along lower sills which would suggest they are either from the road, the discs or the pads?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts