Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well finally got round to ordering the correct bulbs for the A1. Went for the XTEC's as they've been recommended by the forum members. Took a few before/after pics:

Before:

After:

·
Registered
63 Posts
were they easy to fit?

do you think the main beam bulbs need upgrading to? or do they give off a white light already?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have to say they're not too difficult to fit, more fiddly than anything else. But as long as you have some experience with a screwdriver and are patient, it's no problem.

Having seen the dip beam next to the DRLs, I would say that they could do with being changed to a ''whiter'' bulb but as it's supposedly summer here and the days are long, i'm not too botheres about it yet!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think I will buy the Xtec for my A1 too, and what do you think it will be a nice main bulb?
I read somewhere that the white hammer plus 50 are cheap and very good, any ideas on it?

·
Registered
574 Posts
looking good mate i need to get around to doing mine too got them ages ago just not had time the only thing i had time to do was nick the aerial from my wifes car and put it on mine ill picture up later

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The XTEC replaces the DRL (daytime running lights which are on all the time)/sidelights (same bulb) but for your dipped beam, you would have to get an H7 bulb - LED headlights aren't available for dip beam I think, unless on some luxury cars, I haven't changed the dip/main beam on mine yet but will do as it comes into the darker nights later in the year. Hope this explains it a wee bit better :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jehuknight said:
Am i right in thinking these are the LED bulb? Have you found that you need a resistors to stop the D.I.S showing a fault?
They are indeed an LED bulb but because they draw the same current as a standard as filled bulb, there are no errors on the DIS, no resistors needed either, just plug in and play ;-)

Some cheaper eBay LED's will produce the bulb error though

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I fitted my Xtec LED's and Osram Night Breaker plus bulbs too on 17 June. No problems found.......so far.

:D :p

·
Registered
63 Posts
so XTEC W21W T20 7440 11 SMD HIGH POWER LEDS are the right ones for my A1? :ugeek: ... just checking before I purchase! ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
BigDeuce451 said:
Those are the right ones. Come on Dude, pull that trigger and make the purchase!

Don't be scared.

OK OK purchased :geek: ... will be funny if they trun up before my car does :lol:

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
LSGAudi said:
OK OK purchased :geek: ... will be funny if they trun up before my car does :lol:
argh you gonna have cool headlights - please don't park next to me in tescos :p

·
Registered
63 Posts
my bulbs turned up today :D ... now i just need the bloody car to turn up :lol:

they are weird looking, nothing like im used to seeing :shock: ... hope they bloody work too! :?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
LSGAudi said:

they are weird looking, nothing like im used to seeing :shock: ... hope they bloody work too! :?
Just remember, before putting them into the headlight unit, make sure they light up. If not, turn them 180 degrees; should work then. If not lighting up which ever way you turn them.......yeah........you got a dud one. You'll be ok though. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BigDeuce451 said:
LSGAudi said:

Just remember, before putting them into the headlight unit, make sure they light up. If not, turn them 180 degrees; should work then. If not lighting up which ever way you turn them.......yeah........you got a dud one. You'll be ok though. ;)
Yeah, I got them both wrong first time round

1 - 20 of 38 Posts