Audi A1 Forum banner

Wipers

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  flyco 
#1 ·
Anyone noticed that if you switch the engine off and leave the wiper stalk in any of the on positions, the next time you start off again the wipers don't start too? You have to flick them off and then back on again

Only moderately annoying on a wet day (everyday here)

:D

#2 ·
Hi, didn't want to start a new thread again, but it looks like I've noticed this too? Can anyone else confirm? It seems quite annoying as every other car I've driven doesn't need the wiper switch to be reset if it's been left on. Also applies to the rear wiper. So on a rainy day I have to reset the wiper stalk in order to turn them on again...grrrr

Is it part of the design or have the programmers at Audi just forgotten about this?

#3 ·
Yes - I noticed this today also. I also noticed that as you slow and become stationery the speed of the wipers slows. So, if you're driving up to traffic lights with wipers set a second speed setting (constant) then it drops down to intermittent when you stop. Quite a neat touch!

#7 ·
Sorry guys, I think you're missing the point here, yes, the wipers go intermittent when you stop, if they are on the constant speed - my '95 BMW compact did that.

But when I finish driving, i.e. switch off and remove the key etc, leave the wipers ON at any setting and come back to the car later with the stalk at the same position, they will be off and I need to flick the stalk to another setting and back to 'reset' them back on again. The same applies to the rear wiper. Even though it has been pushed back to ON, it won't turn on again unless I press it for a wash/wipe or pull the stalk and push it back to the on position.

Sorry if my original post was badly phrased :oops: , but I hope this clears things up and you all give it a try

#9 ·
A! hopeful said:
does this happen with the automatic wiper system?
Yes. Dont really find it a problem though.
Like FamilyA1uk said. Rather they didnt wipe a dry screen , or worse - a frozen screen after a wet last journey the night before.

Just flick em back to off and on again. No big problem.

#10 ·
yes it happens with the auto windscreen wipers as well. as was mentioned before its probably to make sure it doesn't wipe a dry windscreen...

#12 ·
Ah, fair enough about the wipers not wiping a dry screen. Just seems a bit confusing though when they're left in the intermittent setting and I come back later, need to turn them on and find them wiping continuously. But I suppose its for the right reasons, albeit quite an obscure one in my opinion.

#14 ·
Although I understand both sides of the discussion I have to say that I would prefer the set up as it is, i.e. you have to reset the wiper position first before use, especially when the windscreen is iced up.

#15 ·
Mine does it too. Not a problem for some, of course, but for those of us who do a lot of quick short journeys, turning the car on and off in a short period, it's very annoying. I'm an instructor and students have them on, we stop for a chat, go again and the damn things stay still. Learners just start squinting through the windshield, face getting closer and closer to the wheel to see better. It's only when I ask if they can actually see through all the water do they realise.

#16 ·
kodama said:
Mine does it too. Not a problem for some, of course, but for those of us who do a lot of quick short journeys, turning the car on and off in a short period, it's very annoying. I'm an instructor and students have them on, we stop for a chat, go again and the damn things stay still. Learners just start squinting through the windshield, face getting closer and closer to the wheel to see better. It's only when I ask if they can actually see through all the water do they realise.
:lol: You will soon need duel control wipers.

Find more frustrating is the dial on the top of the lever (that adjusts intermittent timing). Seems to be wasted (or not working) on cars with auto wipers.
Mine does nothing. Auto sensors adjust speed and intemitancy depending on how much its raining anyway.

Also when wipers fully on and you stop. The wipers stop also. Isnt this a bad idea as will reduce visability at a junction etc?

#18 ·
kwakaman said:
kodama said:
:lol: You will soon need duel control wipers.

Find more frustrating is the dial on the top of the lever (that adjusts intermittent timing). Seems to be wasted (or not working) on cars with auto wipers.
Mine does nothing. Auto sensors adjust speed and intemitancy depending on how much its raining anyway.

Also when wipers fully on and you stop. The wipers stop also. Isnt this a bad idea as will reduce visability at a junction etc?
I don't have auto wipers, but I find the int speed dial only really makes a difference between the two fastest settings. The first and second bar don't seem to increase the interval, or they do it by barely any, compared to the third and fourth. I thought for auto wipers the dial increases or decreases sensitivity, like on BMW's auto wipers?

And with regards to the wipers stopping (reverting to the next lowest speed) when you stop - I find it generally works well as its usually when I'm moving that I need the wipers to work continuously anyways. Helps them last a little longer and I remember having this feature even on my '95 BMW Compact.

What I now find a bit annoying is the fact that it takes a couple of seconds for the screenwash to be pumped through the pipes until it exits the washer jets. On every other car I've driven, the water comes out instantly or near enough instantly, but on the A1 it takes at least a full second or two. I would've at least expected it to 'hold' automatically if it was going to take so long for the water to come out of the jets! Other than that the OEM wipers are extremely quiet and effective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.