Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a new 1.6TDI SE A1 a couple of months back and was wondering what the options were for winter wheels? Audi didn't seem to be of much use technically when I phoned them to ask - they said there was a winter alloy wheel pack available, gave me the price and that was it.
Anyone any idea what would be suitable? - I live in the middle of nowwhere and suffer badly during the winter, I now swear by Vredestein snow tyres.
I have steel wheels for the wife's golf with which I swap over in winter and was considering buying a set of cheaper alloys/tyres for the A1 from Mytyres.co.uk but I don't want to buy something and discover that they are an incompatable size.... Couldn't find much when I searched the net.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
921 Posts
If you do a search on here you should find loads of posts from last winter re winter wheels. Some bought steel wheels off ebay etc

·
Registered
63 Posts
dprovan said:
I have purchased a new 1.6TDI SE A1 a couple of months back and was wondering what the options were for winter wheels? Audi didn't seem to be of much use technically when I phoned them to ask - they said there was a winter alloy wheel pack available, gave me the price and that was it.
Anyone any idea what would be suitable? - I live in the middle of nowwhere and suffer badly during the winter, I now swear by Vredestein snow tyres.
I have steel wheels for the wife's golf with which I swap over in winter and was considering buying a set of cheaper alloys/tyres for the A1 from Mytyres.co.uk but I don't want to buy something and discover that they are an incompatable size.... Couldn't find much when I searched the net.
Any suggestions?
Got my last lot of winter tyres from MyTyres ... they were from Fulda and were excellent! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The wheels you want need to be 5 x 100 and have a centre bore of 57.1 which are common sizes for early Golf's, TT's etc

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had Conti WinterContacts on my TT Mk2 and they were also excellent. I'm sorting out my winter wheels/tyres for my A1 now as it happens as I don't want to leave it until the last minute which I've been guilty of before.

·
Registered
138 Posts
kalibre46 said:
I had Conti WinterContacts on my TT Mk2 and they were also excellent. I'm sorting out my winter wheels/tyres for my A1 now as it happens as I don't want to leave it until the last minute which I've been guilty of before.
I wonder if there might be a group buy in here somewhere? I'll be looking into winter wheels/tyres in September after I get back from holiday.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Firstly apologies for being a bit thick on this one! :oops: I've just spent the best part of 2 hours reading the forum, and there's some great info on the older threads, but then when I get on eBay I seem none the wiser!

I'm basically looking to buy an reasonably inexpensive, but still decentish looking, set of alloys that I can then get some winter tyres on; my problem is I don't want to buy the wrong ones as there are so many different fittings etc. I don't want to get into buying wheels and then getting spacers, so ideally looking for something that will fit straight on, as things are complicated enough for me :lol:

I read that the winter wheels are 6Jx16 ET 30 // 195/50 R16 88H and the summer 7.5Jx17 ET 36 // 215/40 R17 or 7Jx16 ET 34 // 215/45 R16.

So I can basically go for a 15 (which i dont fancy) 16 or 17 inch wheel and I know I need a 100 x 5 bolt pattern (PCD). That's the big i get :lol:

The bits I'm not sure on are the 6J/7.5J (the width of wheel I believe) and the ET (how far in or out of the arch the wheel sits) - there are loads of options when I've looked on eBay for old golf, mk1 tt and early a3 wheels and like I say just want to make sure I buy the right thing. If someone can explain a bit more on these two bits as to what will fit and what wont it'd be really helpful?!

Any help would be much appreciated as would ideally like the get it sorted soon given we'll no doubt be getting the bad weather again in the not too distant future........sorry to remind you :cry:

Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
christam said:
kalibre46 said:
I wonder if there might be a group buy in here somewhere? I'll be looking into winter wheels/tyres in September after I get back from holiday.
Im still struggling with this so might still be looking in September at this rate so keep me updated :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
A first consideration to make is whether you are ever likely to use snow chains or not e.g. skiing holiday abroad. If so, then you need to take the 195/50 R16 tyres/wheels, because the others are too wide and do not have enough clearage for the chains in the wheel arches. If you are driving in snow, then narrower tyres are actually better than wider ones!

Another point to mention is that salt on the roads attacks alloy wheels causing them to tarnish. Alloy wheels which are intended for winter use have different coatings and alloy composition to those which are designed for summer use, so they are more resistant. The original audi winter wheel/tyre combination are winter alloys.
Finally, do not forget the load rating needed for the tyres! The A1 is actually very heavy for its size and needs quite high load ratings. This severely restricts the choice of tyres, since there is a limited number of winter tyres which have the right size and high enough load ratings.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lots of good info, another quick related question...

I have the tyre pressure monitor option (one of the few options I went for) - would this be something that is effected by going with a set of winter alloys (from Mytyres for instance)?
Not sure how the system works - whether there is a sensor in the valves or if it works things out using some other method? I don't really want a warning light on the dash all winter...

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for that Shef, wont be using chains - hoping that winter tyres will be enough but snow in Leeds was bad last 2 years :)

Just seen some VW wheels quite close by that might be a cheap option on fellaby

They're:

PCD IS 5X100
ET 42
6 1/2 J
TYRE SIZE IS 205 55R 16

From reading i've done and my understanding, or lack of it, they'd be ok and would fit without spacers and could get winter tyres ok?

Cheers

·
Registered
679 Posts
Chris

I have a set of TT Mk1 alloys with tyres 16inch 205/55/16 for sale if interested £200 ideal for winter wheels.
They have 2 brand new Falken 452 on them & pirelli p6 tyres with about 6mm of tread on the other 2.
Pm me & i will get you some pictures

·
Registered
27 Posts
Will check emails tonight mate, can't get on at work today :roll:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Kalibre,

I think you have overlooked the fact that there are no manufacturers offering 18" winter tyres in the size you would need for your A1 ;-).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi dprovan,

The typre pressure monitor is an indirect system which monitors variation in the rotation speed of the wheels using the signals from the ABS sensors. It does not use sensors mounted on the wheels themselves. It's no problem to change to winter tyres, since you can recalibrate the system yourself at the press of a button ("reset" in the centre console). Its all explained in the manual!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks - kind of worked that out after looking through older posts/info on the net - I should've looked at these (or indeed the manual) before I posted.
I've ordered up some wheels with winter tyres from mytyres last weekend and I'll see how it goes (hopefully won't need them for a few months....?).

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
intlmouse said:
Does anyone know the offsets for the sline 18 inch 7 double spoke alloys?
7.5J x18 ET39.5

1 - 20 of 41 Posts