Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought i would share this as i tried it today and seems to work great.
I normally hate cleaning wheels, it's a messy job and can take ages to do a good job with all that brake dust and dirt.

I used some baby moisturising wipes... One wipe for each wheel will do, then used a spare micro fibre cloth to wipe any excess away. They now look as good as if they have just rolled out of the showroom! :lol:

Now, i am looking for ideas to clean inside the wheel rim! I couldn't be bothered to clean there today... I'm also not too keen on those wheel brushes as they may end up scratching the wheels paint.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another picture of my A1 being cleaned with snow foam by my little princess! I have trained her well! :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi,

I clean the wheels on my TTS with:

Bilberry Wheel cleaner diluted 10:1 and sprayed on (outside and inside of the wheel) and left to dwell, then wipe off with a wet sponge.

Then I clean the inside with an ez detail brush:

The EZ Auto Detail Brush is made of soft, Nylon Nylex bristles that gently loosen dirt from metal surfaces without scratching or dulling the metal. The bristles have a memory design which allows them to always return to their original shape. They are resistant to chemicals so you can use any kind of cleaner with the EZ Auto Detail Brush. Vinyl is bonded to the tip of the brush and a non-scratch sleeve covers the space between the handle and the bristles so that no part of the brush can scratch. The contoured handle is easy to hold and features a rubber knuckle guard. A vinyl coated flexible stem allows the brush to conform to every curve on your bike or vehicle.
The EZ Auto Detail Brush measures 4.5" wide and 18" long. However, the bristles flatten to allow the brush to fit virtually anywhere. Use the EZ Auto Detail Brush to clean between spokes, grills, pipes, around bumpers, mufflers, engines, between the forks, by the chain, and anywhere else that conventional cleaning tools will not fit.

Then I use a power washer to clean the wheels inc brake discs etc, then dry with microfibre cloth.

If I wash the whole car I don't dry the wheels and cover the car and wheels (again) in snow foam, leave to dwell, wash car with a jet wash on low power. Then wash it again with chemical guys citrus bodywash (diluted) with lambswool mit using the two bucket method.

Rinse again, drying off with microfibre super drying towels, then polish with autoglym (everytime its washed about every two weeks).

PS A1 185 on order due build week 31.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Forgot to say:

I also use Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tyre Gel on the tyres.

Best
David

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the details.

I may just get one of those EZ brushes... I have a ton of Detailing gear in the shed, Chemical Guys, Victoria, Sonus, etc but the gear doesn't come out that often! :oops:

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spookuk said:
Forgot to say:

I also use Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tyre Gel on the tyres.

Best
David
Ahhh, yes i have some of that... Smells like bubble gum!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Definitely gonna try the Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tyre Gel. I've been looking for a great tyre dressing. Does it do the business guys?

Matt

·
Registered
574 Posts
spookuk said:
Hi,

I clean the wheels on my TTS with:

Bilberry Wheel cleaner diluted 10:1 and sprayed on (outside and inside of the wheel) and left to dwell, then wipe off with a wet sponge.

Then I clean the inside with an ez detail brush:

The EZ Auto Detail Brush is made of soft, Nylon Nylex bristles that gently loosen dirt from metal surfaces without scratching or dulling the metal. The bristles have a memory design which allows them to always return to their original shape. They are resistant to chemicals so you can use any kind of cleaner with the EZ Auto Detail Brush. Vinyl is bonded to the tip of the brush and a non-scratch sleeve covers the space between the handle and the bristles so that no part of the brush can scratch. The contoured handle is easy to hold and features a rubber knuckle guard. A vinyl coated flexible stem allows the brush to conform to every curve on your bike or vehicle.
The EZ Auto Detail Brush measures 4.5" wide and 18" long. However, the bristles flatten to allow the brush to fit virtually anywhere. Use the EZ Auto Detail Brush to clean between spokes, grills, pipes, around bumpers, mufflers, engines, between the forks, by the chain, and anywhere else that conventional cleaning tools will not fit.

Then I use a power washer to clean the wheels inc brake discs etc, then dry with microfibre cloth.

If I wash the whole car I don't dry the wheels and cover the car and wheels (again) in snow foam, leave to dwell, wash car with a jet wash on low power. Then wash it again with chemical guys citrus bodywash (diluted) with lambswool mit using the two bucket method.

Rinse again, drying off with microfibre super drying towels, then polish with autoglym (everytime its washed about every two weeks).

PS A1 185 on order due build week 31.
you do the same as me r u on another site about detailing by any chance?

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
l88wey said:
Definitely gonna try the Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tyre Gel. I've been looking for a great tyre dressing. Does it do the business guys?

Matt
Yeah, it's some good gear! Smells nice!

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mojito said:
Another picture of my A1 being cleaned with snow foam by my little princess! I have trained her well! :lol:
Hope you gave her some extra pocket money for that Mojito :)

Baby wipes trick for the wheels sounds right up my street. All the brushes I've tried in past have worn out or snapped in two pretty quickly, but maybe I'm too agressive with them. My cars get cleaned monthly at most, so when wheels do get a clean there's a lot of crud to contend with. Could easily cope with a weekly wipe of the wheels though.

Am tempted to invest in the power washer/snow foam set up, but only if it is quicker than hose method - I don't expect miracle results so is it possible to get away with spraying on the foam and jet washing off, or do you still need to give it a traditional shampoo as well?

p.s. Text found on the packaging of well known brand of baby wipes.... "No harsh chemicals so won't upset baby's skin" followed by "Keep out of the reach of babies and children". Hmmm.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The words to remember are:

You can't rush a good job !

Using snowfoam etc will at least double the washing time and you should still use "shampoo" afterwards, then polish !

The whole idea of Snowfoam is to remove the loose dirt particles before you wash your car, this is to reduce the chance of scratches / swirls on your paintwork, works well on my 2 and half year old Phantom Black.

Microfibre drying towels (super absorbing) really speed up the drying process wrt to the old "Chamois" method.

Shop around for detailing websites I sometimes use cleanyourcar.com and there are a few tips on there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks Spookuk - guess it was too much to hope for that things would be that easy. Got myself a microfibre drying towel today (only a cheapo to start with) and agree it's a vast improvement on a chamois.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You cant eliminate the old Chamois, if anyone has ever used the Autoglym Aquadry Chamois you will know what I mean they are great, the microfibre drying towels are good yes, but the Aquadry is a perfect companion to washing your car!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts