Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment, my A1 still has that nice waxed gloss that the dealership prepped it with. Raindrops just form beads on the surface and roll off!

What premium car wax/polish does anyone recommend for home application? (I have always washed my cars by hand).

I want something that keeps a really lasting gloss on the paintwork.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have always used the Autoglym range of products when I used to wash and polish the parents' cars, and then my own. However, I fancied trying something different last year and bought the Meguires "smooth surface clay kit" from Halfords to finish the job (still using Autoglym shampoo etc or going to the hand wash first).

Go to http://www.halfords.com and type "Meguires" in the search box.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The 'smooth surface clay kit' sounds very harsh from looking at the web site - more like a colour restorer to remove oxidation rather than a polish.

There are some very expensive carnauba wax products that the people who do car shows use.

Personally I don't use polish. The last cars I've had had the Autoglym treatment and I wash them using either the Autoglym shampoo or ArmourAll Car Wash. Leathering it off gives a fantastic finish.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ive always used turtle wax products , aww its been ages since i waxed and polished a car

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's Autoglym for me every time with the occasional use of Carplan colour wax

·
Registered
142 Posts
i use showroom shine on my a3,just spray on rub about then buff off with a clean cloth,no scratching (can only purchase online) ,water beads off, no effort to clean,just dont put it on your windscreen..
i sometimes pull up at the back of a car park putting time in then end up cleaning the whole car,smells nice too..
:D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Depends what sort of money your willing to spend, ive used Cherry Glaze in the past which is a decent price, but would always go for Carnauba Wax, but that is fairly expensive for a little pot but it is very very good stuff

·
Registered
107 Posts
In fact you shouldn't really use "polish" on a new car. :shock: Most "polishes" are actually a mixture of waxes, sealants and abrasives. You know the white powdery stuff you get on your duster when you buff it off? ... well that's finely ground up chalk, and it is there to scour the dirt off the paintwork. This may be OK in an older car where you need to remove a fine layer of road film, but you should not really be using any abrasive on a brand new car where the paint is micro-clean anyway. All you are doing is abrading the top layer of paint needlessly.

"Wax" on the other hand is just that, it leaves a shiny layer of wax as a sealer against dirt and pollution, with no abrasive action. The ideal thing is to wax your car as soon as you get it, and this protects the paint.

The whole car detailing thing becomes ridiculously obsessive (just check out some of detailing forums to see what I mean) but knowing the fundamental difference between a "polish" and a "wax" is worth knowing!

As a rule of thumb ... if it's cheap and Halfords sell it, it's probably a polish. If it's expensive and hard to find, it's probably a wax. :lol:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Carnauba ( and elbow grease) seems to be the universal answer to WAXING (Thanks John H for that explanaition) . Autoexpress got this very wrong in a test they did a while back comparing polishes a waxes in a single test.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Halfords sell turtle wax products :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Has anyone used Supagard. They sell it on the Bay for under £10 . They claim it's the same stuff as dealers charge a fortune for. Any good??

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had my protected with Autoglym Lifeshine, Dealer threw it in as part of the deal, after a hard bargain.
Really happy with it, along with the protection it came with a big bag of Autoglym products that would cost a fair few quid too.
You can pick up the lifeshine application on ebay quite cheap and apply it your self, you wont get the autoglym lifetime warranty unless a dealer applies it to the car though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What does the warranty give you . While trying to find if Supagard was any good I read that lots of people had tried to claim on their Supagard warranty but exclusions made it practically useless. Is the Autoglym better??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts