Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Audi think the a1 is competing with the mito/mini/ds3/polo however ive talked to a few people now and none of them bothered to consider the above...

So i thought it would be interesting to see what other cars people considered before making the "right" choice to buy the a1 :lol:

personally i looked at the 1-series (couldnt offer me a cheap diesel) and the insignia (drinks fuel too quickly) before realising the a1 fit my requirements!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I looked at the Skoda fabia monte-carlo, ds3 and fiesta. Each had there good points but the a1 was the clear winner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Looked at a number of other cars.
Had a sit in and researched
Skoda Fabia VRS, Citreon DS3, VW Polo GTI, BMW 1 Series, Ford Feista

Test Drove
Alfa Romeo Mito Cloverleaf, Mini John Cooper Works

And of course the A1,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
BMW Z4, newer versions as I love the metal roof. Fuel economy (or lack of) put paid to that.
VW golf GTD, not bad but Golfs are way too common and not particularly exciting.
TT Tdi, I'm coming from a TT so ultimately wanted something different.
Audi Q5, couldn't really justify as I have no need for a 4x4.
Merc E class coupe, first choice for looks but drives blandly and is actually quite a dull drive.

All the above are the same or a little less to what I already pay a month, which ultimately is no good as I felt the need to be more economical.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,965 Posts
The A1 is the only new car i considered... Nothing comes close to what i wanted in a new car. Great residuals, £0 RFL, great build quality, high mpg, 5 year service deal.

It's a winner imo. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,965 Posts
Oh, i did want a white TT TDI, like Sahar (Swg79) ... But my eldest daughter would not fit in the back! :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Mojito said:
The A1 is the only new car i considered... Nothing comes close to what i wanted in a new car. Great residuals, £0 RFL, great build quality, high mpg, 5 year service deal.

It's a winner imo. :)
Couldn't agree more! Even wanted a White tt tdi too, although no kids for me to consider! And u remembered my name!! ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Swg79 said:
BMW Z4, newer versions as I love the metal roof. Fuel economy (or lack of) put paid to that.
VW golf GTD, not bad but Golfs are way too common and not particularly exciting.
TT Tdi, I'm coming from a TT so ultimately wanted something different.
Audi Q5, couldn't really justify as I have no need for a 4x4.
Merc E class coupe, first choice for looks but drives blandly and is actually quite a dull drive.

All the above are the same or a little less to what I already pay a month, which ultimately is no good as I felt the need to be more economical.
if i could have afforded it i would have gone for the golf gtd... but for an extra thousand you may as well get the proper petrol version... the gti!

this is were you start going around in circles though! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Test drove X1, Freelander 2 my11, Fiesta Zetec S. All good cars, but the A1 TDi was a clear winner for quality and running costs. Would have loved the X1 or Freelander, but could not justify the purchase or running costs. Fiesta came close, but let's face it... very good car overall, but not an Audi.

J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
jollyretard said:
Swg79 said:
BMW Z4, newer versions as I love the metal roof. Fuel economy (or lack of) put paid to that.
VW golf GTD, not bad but Golfs are way too common and not particularly exciting.
TT Tdi, I'm coming from a TT so ultimately wanted something different.
Audi Q5, couldn't really justify as I have no need for a 4x4.
Merc E class coupe, first choice for looks but drives blandly and is actually quite a dull drive.

All the above are the same or a little less to what I already pay a month, which ultimately is no good as I felt the need to be more economical.
if i could have afforded it i would have gone for the golf gtd... but for an extra thousand you may as well get the proper petrol version... the gti!

this is were you start going around in circles though! :lol:
Ha ha tell me about it! It was hard not going "sod it" and going for a dearer car, I'm really excited about my A1 so I think I've made the right choice. And totally right, new GTi is lovely, especially in White.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fdpxfunix said:
Fiesta came close, but let's face it... very good car overall, but not an Audi.
couldnt agree with you more... my old man has a 2010 fiesta zetec 1.6 tdci which i am constantly borrowing... although a great car... you can tell it is ford quality all over, that isnt a bad thing, but for most people like me... when your downgrading from an executive car due to fuel and tax costs... the fiesta is a step too far, this is why the a1 really does make sence
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Swg79 said:
new GTi is lovely, especially in White.
YES! especially with the bigger alloys and xenons...

ok we need to stop this NOW or we will end up talking ourselves into trading the a1 in :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
jollyretard said:
Swg79 said:
new GTi is lovely, especially in White.
YES! especially with the bigger alloys and xenons...

ok we need to stop this NOW or we will end up talking ourselves into trading the a1 in :lol:
Ha ha yeah it needs the 18s, xenons, tech pack...etc! Shame it comes in at over 30k new! Not worth it for a golf. Anyway back to the A1, which I don't even have yet :-(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Swg79 said:
jollyretard said:
Swg79 said:
new GTi is lovely, especially in White.
YES! especially with the bigger alloys and xenons...

ok we need to stop this NOW or we will end up talking ourselves into trading the a1 in :lol:
Ha ha yeah it needs the 18s, xenons, tech pack...etc! Shame it comes in at over 30k new! Not worth it for a golf. Anyway back to the A1, which I don't even have yet :-(
:lol:

yes... and at 30k you may as well go for the golf r as it has all this kit as standard... it just goes on forever :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
The A1 is the wife's car so the contenders had to be 'stylish' according to her. So Fiesta, Corsa were out.

We considered Mini (too common), Fiat 500 (too cheaply made, not really that fun of a drive) and the Polo (too common as well, no leather).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
chrischr said:
Fiat 500 (too cheaply made, not really that fun of a drive
I'd have to disagree with you there, last year i was driving around in a fiat 500 sport... yes it was made from the worst materials ever... and felt like it was about to fall apart, but i can honestly say, it was one of the most exciting cars ive ever driven... the only way to describe the car is; its a go kart!... great little thing, not that i would ever buy one for myself!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Only a 1 series really, thought about it for quite a while. BMW salesman didn't really listen when I said I wanted a 5dr diesel and kept talking about a coupe (bizarre) - what's equally bizarre is that the Audi salesman talked me up from a sport to an s line with loads of extra's and i didn't bat an eyelid!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Initially was set on the Honda Jazz, given very good previous experience with Honda reliability; however, I just didn't like the look of it in the flesh and I wasn't impressed with fuel economy, which was an important consideration.

This led to the Polo Bluemotion or the Fiesta; nightmare trying to get my son in and out of the back of the Fiesta, never mind the properly awful driving experience, so the Polo it was going to be. Had one as a courtesy car from our local garage (1.2 rather than Bluemotion) and enjoyed the drive and the feel.

And then I saw the A1...comparable fuel economy, comparable price for a similar spec. Took one for a drive as a comparison and fell in love.

Waited to find out if our bigger car was being written off as this would necessitate compromising for what we could get delivered fairly quickly; no write-off but my husband was so smitten that he took the day off work to take me back to garage and order what I wanted.

Can't wait for it to arrive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
VW Golf Match Bluemotion: too boring

BMW 1-series: had 2 before and wanted a change

MINI Countryman: did test drive it but quickly realised it was as cheap and plasticky and the other MINIs I've had plus it was horrible to drive (and look at!)

Also looked at Alfa Guiletta which I did like but felt a little Astra-like.

Finally went for the A1 after popping in off the cuff to look at an A3. Saw the A1 in the corner of the showroom and I was drawn right to it! Made my mind up in... ooh... 5 seconds!
 
1 - 20 of 306 Posts
Top