Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of interest, what car did you drive imediatelly before you had your new A1 ?
How do they compare ? Why did you choose an Audi A1 ?

For me, I drove a Land Rover Defender 110, so it is a complete change. The only similarities are the four wheels and an engine ! I wanted a car that wasnt going to cost a fortune to run and looked good. As this is my 6th Audi they seem to be in my blood and as soon as i saw one i knew i wanted one.
Simon. :geek:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
We had a shortlist of DS3, Mini Cooper D and the A1. Went to see the A1 first and never got to see the others.

Traded in our S-Type Jag, as something had to go and it wasn't going to be the TT ;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
another audi... a big engined a6, had to trade it in due to the running costs - fuel, tax, servicing and insurance (im only 20!)

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Seat Ibiza Mk4 1.4 SE which I happened to notice on Ebay at the weekend, owned by some guy in Leeds!

Technically the exactly same car underneath as the Audi A1! Just not as upmarket!

I wanted an Audi (or a VW brand car)- no alternative.....dad had one, granddad had one....never broke down..

I had a drive in a DS3 for giggles after ordering my A1 last year - was very plasticky

Even went as far as the Audi factory in Germany to get an early viewing :p

·
Registered
305 Posts
taconite2 said:
I had a drive in a DS3 for giggles after ordering my A1 last year - was very plasticky
yes i noticed this... the dash is just plastic plastic plastic, and some more plastic for good measure

the mito is just boring and the polo is pretty much identical to the a1 without the cool flip screen

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a Mini Countryman Cooper D, it was a pile of crap, had it five months in all and the dealer had it more than me. We chose the A1 due to delivery time as my local dealer had one in stock.
I can't believe how well built they are compared to a Mini.
Better customer service as well.
Never by a Mini or a BMW they are awful.

·
Registered
305 Posts
cappy said:
I had a Mini Countryman Cooper D, it was a pile of crap, had it five months in all and the dealer had it more than me. We chose the A1 due to delivery time as my local dealer had one in stock.
I can't believe how well built they are compared to a Mini.
Better customer service as well.
Never by a Mini or a BMW they are awful.
the mini was the only car i didn't test drive in the upmarket supermini category as i completely forgot... i was really annoyed as i thought i had missed out, but glad i went with the a1 now!

·
Registered
108 Posts
My previous car was an A3 S-line Black Edition 1.8 Tfsi. Good car but hard ride and I could not get on with the Stronic 7 speed and now much happier with my A1 Manual

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
jollyretard said:
taconite2 said:
yes i noticed this... the dash is just plastic plastic plastic, and some more plastic for good measure

the mito is just boring and the polo is pretty much identical to the a1 without the cool flip screen
I would go as far as say the cheaper VW/Seats/Skodas were better build quality!

·
Registered
305 Posts
taconite2 said:
jollyretard said:
taconite2 said:

I would go as far as say the cheaper VW/Seats/Skodas were better build quality!
than an a1? really? i haven't had any niggles with my interior... it seems bullet proof to me haha!

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
No the DS3 :p

·
Registered
305 Posts
taconite2 said:
i was going to say! but yes even a vw fox looks better put together than a ds3 and thats 10k less!

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
jollyretard said:
taconite2 said:
i was going to say! but yes even a vw fox looks better put together than a ds3 and thats 10k less!
haha - French cars for you :) shame because if they nailed little things like that it would justify its price!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had three minis first one had water ingress and then heavy condensation which used to freeze on the inside, the second one had rattles from the dash, then the Countryman had rust, stereo squeal, door rattle knock, interior rattle, two interior mirrors, rear washer that came on with the fronts and the interior map lights came on, on their own!

Great quality not!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Will be part-exing my Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXI 3-door, 08 plate. Been a very good car (reliable, well built, stylish, if common as muck nowadays!), but I never really loved it like the Clio I had before that.

But this is entering a new league! I cannot wait to get my hands on the A1!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a 170 TDI Scirocco with the DSG gearbox. I've had a couple of Sciroccos and they are fantastic cars and there's a good online community like there is with the A1.

I've down-sized to save myself money and the quality of the A1 was clear when I first saw one (all those items of kit from 'big' Audis impressed me when compared with other small cars).

I will miss the kick up the backside I got when I put my foot down in the Scirocco, but to be honest I'm not a fast driver and I'm a bit tight so lower monthly payments, no road tax and better fuel economy are very appealing to me! :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Last two cars have been a4 2.0 tdi 170bhp,one avant and one saloon.Great cars but with higher fuel prices etc had to go for a1 which can say has been great,do miss the acceration but now the a1 is bedding in it is just as much fun plus saving about £130/year road tax :lol: :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I traded an A3 sport for a Merc C220i and didn't like it at all so traded it for A1 Sport 1.4 TFSi which has turned out to be the best car I've ever owned and I have owned around 20 different models over 32 years of driving. :roll:

1 - 20 of 100 Posts