Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody else getting wet windows inside the car? I have not used the car all day and went to use it about 7pm and the windows were quite wet all over. Front and back. So wet you could not see out. Not used the air con either.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yes! Happened to me on Tuesday. Have had a damp smell on and off since I got it. Washed it on Sunday, out in it Tuesday morning then parked on the drive in the sun in the afternoon and at teatime the car was misted up inside and the inside of the back window was streaming wet. Got it booked in on Wednesday this week for investigation.

·
Registered
151 Posts
No, not me.

Have you checked the carpets in the footwells for dampness? You usually only get steamed up windows when the car has a problem with water ingress (i.e. from rain over the previous days).

·
Registered
921 Posts
Have checked carpets, footwells etc but no wetness apparent. As you say, the symptoms suggest water build up somewhere. The streaming wet inside windows has only happened the once in the 2 months since I've had the car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weird Chelmersteve. It has happened in mine about 5 times. Thanks lady_Sadlybroke will check that tomorrow. They get really wet. Never had this in other cars. If you could let me know what they say Chelmersteve that would be good. Will have to get mine booked in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are we talking about intense condensation that the heated screen can't clear? If so I have seen this with previous cars. It's worth checking out with Audi for sure but I think it's a symptom of the super sealed cars we drive these days.

For me it has usually occurred after a day in which the inside of the car gets warm (sunshine, heating on, a few short runs and there is a drop in outside temperature. The moisture in the air inside the car then condenses on the cold windows.

You need to use the aircon/climate most of the time. It's there to dry the air out not just to keep an even temp or cool down in the summer. When it's very foggy inside you need to wind the windows down first and let the warm moist air out and some fresh air in for a few minutes.

Like I say it'll be interesting to see what Audi say but I think it's just down to basic physics. The aircon will be up to the job as I've seen VAG testing their cars in the Nevada desert!

·
Registered
60 Posts
The demO I test drove had this problem. I had to either have the heater on or windows open. Assumed it was just that there was a build up of moisture during transit but I've never had this before with a new car. You shouldn't have to drive with the window open in 2011!

·
Registered
921 Posts
I keep the climate control on all the time.
The back window was streaming with water, its a sort of super version of what happens if you leave the heater on recirculation mode when its a bit humid and everything mists up.
I was wondering if water had got in the heater/aircon box and not drained out or if the car wasn't venting properly - there's supposed to be a flow of air through the car under normal circumstances. Much as Teuchter says above.
Whatever, its something I've not seen previously on the many new cars I have owned.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Not had any problems with mine.I have the fan on 1 all the time ,heater on half after about 20 mins and air directed to windscreen.Only run air con once a week in winter.I have only needed to use the rear heated window a couple of times,I think the switch is a bit too low down.

·
Registered
811 Posts
tim said:
Not had any problems with mine.I have the fan on 1 all the time ,heater on half after about 20 mins and air directed to windscreen.Only run air con once a week in winter.I have only needed to use the rear heated window a couple of times,I think the switch is a bit too low down.
+1

·
Registered
151 Posts
tim said:
I do exactly the same with my heater controls, but I haven't even tried the aircon yet. I agree with you Tim, the heated rear screen button is a bit low. I sort of have to lean backwards to see it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Everyone with this moisture problem should report it to Audi straight away. If there is a problem It needs to be addressed quickly. At the least they must be made aware of this. Dont forget early days of a cars production recalls do happen. Remember early models can sometime become guinea pigs for later models if improvements are required. Get your cars in and get them checked. Audi will need to know any issues we are finding especially If we as forum members are experiencing the same problems. It's us at the end of the day will be able to help them. By us with holding our findings won't help. 

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you type into google -- > condensation problems in new cars < -- it comes up with many having the same problems.In all types of cars..Ive never experienced this and hope i dont when i get my a1..
<NOT GOOD>

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I am going to call Audi lunch time today. Something is defo not right. Windows inside were wet today too. Not soaked like before but quite wet. Could not see out. Bit of a nightmare!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yes it would be good if you could all ring through to audi and report this problems that much water inside our cars ,can only lead to bigger problems down the line with corrosion on terminals and a constant damp feel and smell.
This is why i joined the forum to sort out niggles before they become a big problem.
Make the call guys and gels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had this in previous cars. I normally stick a dehumidifying pack in the car for a month or so, and the problem is gone for good.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.