Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just fitted the insulation kit to bonnet,the car is now much quieter,and more importantly has removed the very hot spot on the bonnet above the alternator area,as reported earlier,managed to get 10% discount of the stealer,but will be contacting customer services as i feel this should be fitted as standard,122Tfsi S-Line. :cool:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Hmmmm quieter, I like the sound of that, how much was it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
triplefan,with the 10% off it was £27.29,before ,you could barely put your hand on the hot spot,it now gets hardly warm,also under the bonnet the material does not get hot,works really well. :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Thanks for that, sounds like a worthwhile cheap and easy mod

How does it attach, any problems fitting it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
triplefan,2min job,tailor made fit with 2no plastic clips supplied,looks the business,know there is a picture on here somewhere. :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you have the part no for it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Brilliant thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi
I'm interested in the bonnet insulation you've fitted. Where did you get it from? How does it fit? Can you post a picture please. I too have a very hot spot on the bonnet so this could be useful. Did you approach Audi to ask their advice?
Steve

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve Southern,Got it from Audi,its fitted to the A1 tdis and the 185bhp models,just clips in place,dealer did not seem bothered,have written to customer services,part no on here ,pics see page4/5 A1forum,MY AUDI A1 185"KITT". :cool:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
A1LDU said:
its fitted to the A1 tdis
So it is :oops:

Oh well that's saved me £30 and 10 mins :lol:

·
Registered
445 Posts
The heat is coming from the turbo,but I have a couple of concerns about fitting insulation ,one being will it cause the turbo to overheat and could the insulation catch fire.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tim,as I said before,after a good spirited run,the material hardly seems warm to touch,and i am sure the painted bonnet was not designed to be a heat sink. :cool: PS have written to customer services re this,will post,if i ? get reply.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I asked my Audi dealer in Liverpool for their opinions on fitting the insulation under the bonnet. Here's the response from their service technical dept and what they advise;
"I would be cautious about placing insulation underneath the bonnet because the A1's have been specifically designed to take the heat coming from the engine and do not have lugs or positions underneath to allow the velvet to secure on to, which could result in the insulation falling off on to the drive belts."
Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
Steve_Southern said:
I asked my Audi dealer in Liverpool for their opinions on fitting the insulation under the bonnet. Here's the response from their service technical dept and what they advise;
"I would be cautious about placing insulation underneath the bonnet because the A1's have been specifically designed to take the heat coming from the engine and do not have lugs or positions underneath to allow the velvet to secure on to, which could result in the insulation falling off on to the drive belts."
Steve
I find their reply a little weird cos... this insulating part is included in the design of the car!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Absolute RUBBISH,The kit is fitted to all tdis and 185,all A1s have the same bonnet,Got a phone call today from customer services,my case is being looked at,and my dealer is arranging a refund of my money. :?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.