Audi A1 Forum banner

Tyred!

13K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  SPIKE 
#1 ·
Having a senior moment - clearly no spare wheel but read that I can now organise a spacesaver if I want through the dealer????

Anyone know the reality? Is it puncture repair or can I get a spacesaver in the hole?

#3 ·
As standard a repair kit is supplied - this is on the grounds of weight saving, rather than space saving (to help keep emissions rating down). I would be surprised if, on the petrol versions at least, a spacesaver didn't fit in the well in the luggage area floor. However, as JR suggests, best bet is to check with your dealer.

#5 ·
I had the misfortune to have a puncture earier this year in my Porsche. It was a serious one too, caught a nasty chunk of metal in my tyre which deflated totally in less than half a mile, which stranded me on a dual carriageway, one evening. The car does not of course have a spare (back and front are different sizes for one thing) and I was not enthusiastic about using the gunk and pump.

Much to my surprise it worked amazingly well, and by following the instructions I managed to get the trye back up to full pressure and drove home, albeit carefully. In the morning the tyre was still fully inflated.

I am now a convert to the "gunk and pump" system, rather than carrying a spare. Changing a wheel at the side of a busy road is a difficult, dirty and dangerous business, and the puncture reapir kit is very probably a better, quicker and safer option in the now quite rare event of a puncture. I won't be buying a spacesaver for our A1.

#8 ·
John H said:
I had the misfortune to have a puncture earier this year in my Porsche. It was a serious one too, caught a nasty chunk of metal in my tyre which deflated totally in less than half a mile, which stranded me on a dual carriageway, one evening. The car does not of course have a spare (back and front are different sizes for one thing) and I was not enthusiastic about using the gunk and pump.

Much to my surprise it worked amazingly well, and by following the instructions I managed to get the trye back up to full pressure and drove home, albeit carefully. In the morning the tyre was still fully inflated.

I am now a convert to the "gunk and pump" system, rather than carrying a spare. Changing a wheel at the side of a busy road is a difficult, dirty and dangerous business, and the puncture reapir kit is very probably a better, quicker and safer option in the now quite rare event of a puncture. I won't be buying a spacesaver for our A1.
hi ,im just reading back on some old threads,
Can i ask did you use all the gunk and pump (as u call it).
how much are new canisters of this stuff
can they repair a tyre after its had this stuff in them ?

#9 ·
yorky40 said:
John H said:

hi ,im just reading back on some old threads,
Can i ask did you use all the gunk and pump (as u call it).
how much are new canisters of this stuff
can they repair a tyre after its had this stuff in them ?
Yes I used all of it, the Porsche bottle is about a litre, and costs £36 to replace, although the Audi bottle looks smaller and may cost less. They say you cannot repair a tyre once it has been gunked, but this is not strictly true. You can repair it, but only if you meticulously clean all the old gunk out of the tyre, and clean the puncture hole. Very few tyre places are willing to go to this much bother, which is why you will be told it can't be fixed.

#10 ·
My A1 came with 2 cans of the gunk stuff and I've got a spacesaver spare under the boot floor as well.

#12 ·
Audi make 2 sizes of space saver tyre for the A1, have a look on ebay for prices, pictures, etc. If my memory serves me correctly the Sline model uses the larger one.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
There is no spare with the S-Line - you buy it afterwards. There are two sizes available - 16 in (for cars with 16in or 17 in wheels) and 18in - the 16in one is £134 inc VAT from your dealer - lower prices are available on-line but by the time you add shipping they end up much the same. or even more.
The spare sits over the top of the battery then you can finish things off with a foam plastic tray that covers the wheel and interlocks with a smaller tray to the left (if you don't have Bose)
P1000819a.jpg
P1000817a.jpg

Attachments

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Previous post continued
P1000818a.jpg
P1000816a.jpg
P1000812a.jpg

Attachments

#16 ·
The 16in is £134 and the 18in £187 - both are spacesaver / emergency use only. Price difference is presumably 'cos its bigger and it also has to do service for cars (not A1s) with 19in wheels. You'd never get a 5th alloy and tyre for that money, nor would you be able to stow it.

#21 ·
The tray that sits over the wheel comes separately - was about £38 when I got it. I already had the one the left as part of the stowage pack - I should think that is available separately too. The only thing you get with the wheel is the retaining screw.

#23 ·
Sorry to resurect an old thread, but I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

I've purchased a spare wheel for my A1 and I'm interested in getting the 2 storage trays that fit in the bootwell like pictures in this thread that Chelmersteve posted.

I asked the Nottingham Audi dealer about it and they don't seem to know of the existance of these 2 items.

Does anyone know the part numbers or have any links to places that currently sell them? I've tried a bit of googling, but I'm not sure what the proper name of them is, and I just end up getting results for lots of 3rd party solutions or Audi storage bags.

#24 ·
#25 ·
Thanks, that web site was helpfull.

I went to the Nottingham Audi dealer and ordered it, I gave them both parts numbers on that website that were labled with number 4 of them, as it's not clear what the difference is from that diagram.

They looked at it, knew that I wanted to fit it over the spare wheel, and ....wait for it...ordered the wrong one. So they are re-ordering the correct one for me.

For anyone else that needs to know in future.

8X0012169 Is the storage tray for cars with a spare wheel fitted. It's not as deep but fits over the spare wheel without impeding on the main boot floor. It looks like the one pictured in that diagram on that web site.

8X0012171 Is the deeper storage tray and only fits if you do not have a spare wheel. it does not look like the one in the diagram at all.

8X0012170 is the smaller storage tray that fits to the left of the spare wheel and should fit in either cars with or without the spare wheel.

#26 ·
Audi will probably want insane money for a space saver wheel, and the gung provided in the spray can, is only designed for minute punctures less than 5mm in size.

On the BBC series "Watchdog" they tested the effectiveness of the tyre weld spray.

The man from the RAC, carefully explained that it was only really effective on small punctures, such as picking up a nail or piece of glass.

Once the damage to the tyre exceeds 5-7mm in diameter or length, using the tyre weld is not advisable.

They did not say, that it would not work, but more severe punctures were very reluctant to maintain tyre pressure once the tyre weld was used.

Also when the solution in the can is applied to the inner wall of the tyre, the tyre then becomes useless, it cannot be patched or repaired, its got to be thrown away.

I did my homework,and discovered an early 18in Audi TT space saver, has the right fitting for the A1.

There are quite a few of them on ebay, and i ended paying less than £40 for a unused example.

Due to its age, i had it examined by my local garage, and they gave it a clean bill of health.

Unless you have the Technology pack hard drive and accessories fitted in the boot, the Audi TT wheel fits in the boot well like a glove.

I did not enquire with Audi,how much a new A1 space saver would have been, but hundreds of pounds not £35 delivered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.