Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Depends on who you take it to, had a large bolt thorough a 500 mile old tyre and used a can of tyreweld, one firm wouldn't even look at it, another repaired it no problem

·
Registered
10 Posts
True enough, Its a bit of a grey area the tyre (no pun intended), when it comes to repair, replace, or inner tube it.

My local place its always the inner tube, re-balance etc, take it to another one a tad farther away and its always a repair job, the latter now being my first port of call.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Whatever you do dont keep driving on it for too long. The goo is only supposed to help you limp at reduced speed to get it fixed.

I suspect most tyre companies will replace the tyre, after all if they repair it and it doesnt hold together, who are you going to sue when the worst happens.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
bob_s said:
after all if they repair it and it doesnt hold together, who are you going to sue when the worst happens.
Would you not get any puncture repaired? It's just a tyre with a hole in it :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
triplefan said:
Would you not get any puncture repaired? It's just a tyre with a hole in it :D
A normal puncture I would get repaired, nails or screw in the middle of the tyre sort of thing. If a tyre has had all the goo gunk inside it I am unsure how any repair would hold. Would they have to cut out the goo and then make a repair. Will the solvent used to hold any grommit in place work with the tyre goo.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I think it does come down to whether the tyre company are prepared to clean the inside of the tyre. When repairing a tubeless tyre with a plug, there is a large head to it, the tyre is abraded inside with a powered wire brush, which should take it back to clean rubber.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If you have the tyre pressure loss sensor system on your A1, you must replace the sensor unit if you've used the tyre repair goo. This is according to ElsaWin repair (Audi) manual v3.90.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.