Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am buying the 1.6 TDI, I thought I should know what kind of care to give your turbo.

I know of people who let the engine heat up for a few minutes before letting the turbo kick in, and then let it run still for a few minutes before shutting down the engine.
And then I know people who just don't care.

Does it really make a difference? What do you do, if anything?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but all of these preventative measures are designed to deal with heat, and getting rid of it from the turbo. I had always assumed that this was largely an issue for petrol turbo engines, especially high pressure, high performance ones which generate a lot of heat around the turbo bearings. This is why folk let them idle after a run, to allow oil to cool the bearings, to avoid them drying out. Some petrol turbo engines have an auxiliary electric oil pump which kicks in when you shut down for just this purpose.

The reverse of this is that low pressure turbos (as fitted now to most petrol engines) and turbo diesels tend to run at lower temperatures, plus of course the latest fully synthetic oils are much more resistant to breaking down, so this is all less of an issue.

I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong though!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think you put it very nicely and thats exactly the reason for letting the engine idle after hard use . Letting the engine run a little on start up gets oil round the turbo before it spins. Modern oils and bearings are far better than the ones in the blown turbos running at high pressures in the Cosworth Sierra's of the 80's . Turbos are now much more robust and not revving the nuts off the car all the time and changing the oil when it is due is all you really need to do.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's good to know.

I guess you can always be extra careful and have all sorts of rituals to preserve your car, but this one just seems a waste of time, literary.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Rituals are good, and running the car for a minute every time you stop would do no harm, even if it is not strictly needed.

My main car ritual concerns brakes. Most modern disks are made of soft steel compound, and can rust rapidly if not taken care of. Every time I wash a car I always take it for a run long enough to dry off the brakes, and I try never to park a car with wet brakes. This has paid off with my Porsche which is now 4 years old and still on its original disks, something almost unheard of as Porsche disks corrode at an alraming speed otherwise. I will be treating the A1 in the same ritualistic fashion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.