Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I keep getting TPLI fault coming on on ignition. Get warning alarm sound then the words pop up on the dash then disappears straight away. Car only has 600 miles on the clock. Beginning to think maybe I shouldn't drive anymore. Think I'm cursed with dashboard lights!!!!!! Any suggestions?? Have I brought yet another dud?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ruthiisixx said:
Hi. I keep getting TPLI fault coming on on ignition. Get warning alarm sound then the words pop up on the dash then disappears straight away. Car only has 600 miles on the clock. Beginning to think maybe I shouldn't drive anymore. Think I'm cursed with dashboard lights!!!!!! Any suggestions?? Have I brought yet another dud?
Ruth,

Will help if you say what engine your car has, petrol or diesel? What sort of journies do you do?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have searched everywhere and no menntion of what you are suggesting! What are the symptoms? Car runs rough? Can you take a photo of the message?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hi

Simple answer, if it was me, is to ring your dealer.

·
Registered
592 Posts
This is where an OBD reader would come in handy.
Every known fault, well 99.9% of faults associated with a modern vehicles, have error codes associated with them.

If your A1 flashes up a light to warn you your car has a problem, plug in a OBD reader, and you can pinpoint the exact reason for the car playing up.

The TPLI fault may have several related causes, or just one.

Isolate the code or codes, read up about the cause on the many related websites, and then confront the Audi dealership with what you have learnt.

Approaching the dealership with little knowledge or idea of what's causing the problem, is asking for an inflated repair bill.

Your taking their word that the hefty repair bill is justified, the cause of the problem may be very simple or more complex.

Ive only ever had one error code issue with a any of my cars, it was a fault with the turbo activator on my Mercedes Smart.

It was a costly fix, but at least i knew the repair was justified.

An OBD reader costs just under £15, and is money well spent.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Peter1963 said:
Approaching the dealership with little knowledge or idea of what's causing the problem, is asking for an inflated repair bill.

An OBD reader costs just under £15, and is money well spent.
Two points Peter - 1, The O.P states the car has 600 miles on it, it's most probably going to be a warranty claim, so no inflated bill. 2, A little knowledge is a dangerous thing it's ok having a code reader, but the skill is in interpreting what information it's giving you in context. A sensor can be faulty without knowing it's faulty & not generating a fault code for you to see. & there are still many components that are purely mechanical & don't have sensors fitted.

& as to this - 'Approaching the dealership with little knowledge or idea of what's causing the problem, is asking for an inflated repair bill.'. As you've mentioned in the past how you've worked in the motor trade, that comment gives us some idea of what that establishments working practices were like!!. :lol:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Everything you say is indeed true, but the Smart ForTwo CDi which i bought new in March 2010, developed a horrendous problem associated with the turbo charger activator being placed too near to the engines exhaust manifold.

The problem was only associated with the newer 54hp models, which included mine.

Liverpool Mercedes carried out a so called repair on my car, and it was fine for around two months, but the problem returned.

The problem was so acute, that a particular hill in Mid Wales near Dolgellau would cripple my cars performance, even in first gear and limp mode, the car would not get to the top of the hill.

I knew what the problem was, due to the error code that appeared on my dashboard.

The second time the fault returned, my car was out of warranty (Mercedes gave a feeble two year warranty on the Smart)so i had to cough up £261.

The problem was solved, but knowing what the problem was ensured that the meaty bill was justified.

OBD readers certainly have their place in every motorists garage.

Imagine walking into any dealership with a recurring fault on your car.

Most of us have little knowledge or experience working on car electronics, so having some idea of what is causing your car to misbehave is a good thing.

Not every dealership is honest, customers are constantly being over charged for work that is not alway's justified.

How are we to know, that the work carried out was absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I have the same problem as well, even took it into Audi and they thought it was to do with the tyre pressure as the code for that is TPMI or something similar. Anyway they said it would have to come in when it says TPLI Fault it on the dash, which as you know it only comes up for a matter of seconds so there's no chance of getting it to come on at the same time as when they look at it :( :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently had this issue with TPLI fault flashing up but only sometimes in starting the car. I figured it must be something to do with the way I am starting the car. So, rather than getting in and simply starting the ignition right up, I turn the key, wait until the check lights go out and then start the ignition. Problem solved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts