Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spotted that TMC Motorsport has become a sponsor of our forum,and you can enter there site via the sponsors tag. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes indeed, we are now sponsoring the forum :D I can't start any threads to promote our products (forum rules) but I can answer anyone to the best of my ability with any questions regarding tuning any diesel TDi or petrol TSi/TFSi engine, we have products for all of them.

Please do not ask me to compare our products to other companies as I can't do that. I can only say that our product is of the very highest quality and fully digital (no resistors in a box).

Thanks
Daron
TMC Motorsport

·
Registered
145 Posts
Rather than listing every model I will gladly give figures for each model requested or you can look up figures from the website http://www.tmcmotorsport.com/CarProducts.aspx

Please don't use buy it now from the website as forum members will get discounted prices.

We do cover every turbo charged model of A1 in both petrol and diesel. Is there a specific model you would like figures for?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yes the 1.4 tfsi s-line.
Also what in your estimation , would you think this power and torque increase would do to the 0 to 60 and top end speed.
Standard is 8.9 0 to 60 and 126 mph. top end.
Cheers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The 122bhp version gets 154bhp and +50nm with the box, the unit will work on brand new cars with security locked ECU's without making any permanent alterations to programming, by removing the box the car reverts to original. All connections are original plugs and fully waterproof.
We have modified the looms and as of next week you will not need to connect the box to the battery for 12v supply and only two other connections to boost sensor and manifold air pressure sensor are required making fitting very simple. Also from end Feb the units will have adjustment on them for power level.

All units come with 30 day money back guarantee and 3 year product warranty, engine warranty is available at an additional cost but in my opinion is not needed, the product is extremely safe and reliable.

·
Registered
145 Posts
GPL said:
Yes the 1.4 tfsi s-line.
Also what in your estimation , would you think this power and torque increase would do to the 0 to 60 and top end speed.
Standard is 8.9 0 to 60 and 126 mph. top end.
Cheers.
The Fiat Tjets with similar bhp are seeing around a second faster to 60 but this is measured with Vi Monitor or similar not pinpoint accurate measuring gear.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Look like a worth while tuning option - think I will give it a go when mine comes in two weeks.

Just been looking over your website too, the VI Monitor caught my eye (useful to monitor turbo boost). Is it compatible with the A1?

Andrew

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why is powerboxes in general getting so much negative reviews?

I'm interested in installing one, but as you can imagine, I'm very scared for my beloved new Audi A1, so I'd appreciate a honest answer regarding this subject, with pros/cons. And with the improved figures, is there a risk of damage to the engine?

I'm thinking of finishing the break-in period before I do anything.

·
Registered
145 Posts
shakeystevo said:
Look like a worth while tuning option - think I will give it a go when mine comes in two weeks.

Just been looking over your website too, the VI Monitor caught my eye (useful to monitor turbo boost). Is it compatible with the A1?

Andrew
Hi Andrew, VI Monitor works with any car with OBD2 socket so anything from around 1999. It uses the OBD2 (diagnostic socket) to gather information from the engine as well as using GPS, it actually looks like a little sat nav unit and its alot of fun, I wouldn't say they are pinpoint accurate but fairly close and fun to use, it will give you BHP and 0-60 times as well as G sensor and various engine data and can also clear fault codes on most cars.

Cheers
Daron

·
Registered
145 Posts
eriks said:
Why is powerboxes in general getting so much negative reviews?

I'm interested in installing one, but as you can imagine, I'm very scared for my beloved new Audi A1, so I'd appreciate a honest answer regarding this subject, with pros/cons. And with the improved figures, is there a risk of damage to the engine?

I'm thinking of finishing the break-in period before I do anything.
The thing is just like remapping there are good highly skilled companies out there doing a good job but also numptys running around in vans doing remaps for £150 which are rubbish and will likely damage your engine, you get what you pay for. The same applies with tuning boxes, you can buy cheap ones which are little more than a 2p resistor in a box covered with resin, I've seen these and can even post pictures if you want to see, all this does is connect to your temperature sensor and give an incorrect reading to tell the ECU the engine is stone cold so it keeps adding extra fuel, you will get an increase in power but the engine is over-fuelling especially at tickover making it run unevenly, you need to avoid these.

Good quality tuning boxes like ours and a few others are very advanced, we use micro-processors to calculate alterations to performance at varied levels whilst the engine is running, so not a constant signal from idle to redline, ours also has multiple signals being controlled simultaneously with different maps so we can alter fuelling, boost pressure and timing independently just as a remap would do. In fact with the latest VAG ECU's being security locked you can no longer write new data to them through the OBD port so anyone remapping them has to open the ECU and solder some cables inside which will immediately void your warranty, this has made for a huge investment by the advanced tuning box companies to offer similar gains as would be had with a remap but with the advantage that none of the cars own equipment is interfered with or changed permanently therefore avoiding warranty issues.

The negative reviews you talk of I imagine are for these cheap boxes, if you search Google for TMC tuning boxes you will find only glowing reviews, I ensure every customer gets 110% support and customer service and a top quality product built to last the lifetime of the car. There are no downsides with our product, it doesn't increase power to dangerous levels and in 11 years of this business I have never had a vehicle damaged by a product I've sold. You can fit the units from brand new as I did on my own car and many others do as well.Thanks
Daron

·
Registered
512 Posts
TMC said:
shakeystevo said:

Andrew
Hi Andrew, VI Monitor works with any car with OBD2 socket so anything from around 1999. It uses the OBD2 (diagnostic socket) to gather information from the engine as well as using GPS, it actually looks like a little sat nav unit and its alot of fun, I wouldn't say they are pinpoint accurate but fairly close and fun to use, it will give you BHP and 0-60 times as well as G sensor and various engine data and can also clear fault codes on most cars.

Cheers
Daron
Thanks for the info, does it read boost pressure??

Also, are the tuning boxes safe to keep removing and re-plugging in?? I.e if you go for your service and/or MOT you would remove and and then plug it back in when done. I am just a bit conscious that it might affect the ECU...

Andrew

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Andrew, no it doesn't read boost pressure it controls it. You can plug the box in and out as often as you like and the boxes even come with an adaptor so you can remove the box but leave all the cabling in place.
It will not affect the ECU, when removed the ECU returns completely to standard.

·
Registered
512 Posts
TMC said:
Hi Andrew, no it doesn't read boost pressure it controls it. You can plug the box in and out as often as you like and the boxes even come with an adaptor so you can remove the box but leave all the cabling in place.
It will not affect the ECU, when removed the ECU returns completely to standard.
Thanks TMC - I'll pm you closer to when my car arrives (around 2-3 weeks) for a price :)

Andrew

·
Registered
179 Posts
Interesting post, I noticed you mentioned end of Feb a revised unit which enables adjustment of power.

Would it be possible to elaborate a little on that?

I have been holding off doing this to my car as I was curious to see what Superchips Bluefin offering would be on power figures.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
145 Posts
hm1975 said:
Interesting post, I noticed you mentioned end of Feb a revised unit which enables adjustment of power.

Would it be possible to elaborate a little on that?

I have been holding off doing this to my car as I was curious to see what Superchips Bluefin offering would be on power figures.

Thanks,
Mark
Hi Mark, its nothing too complex, basically we will put standard maps in and there will be either dials or switches to alter those maps up or down, it just gives a little more flexibility but ultimately not a higher overall figure than the current boxes get.
Bluefin works via the OBD plug and its currently impossible to load maps in this way on all the security locked ECU's, someone may eventually crack it but right now the ECU has to be physically opened.
The second issue you run into with remaps on cars inside warranty period is that every time it goes to the dealer workshop for servicing or warranty work they will flash new software in which erases your remap and you have to get it done all over again, fine if the remap place is a few miles away but not if its a few hundred miles round trip :cry:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Having read all the posts on this subject,I am now certain this is the way forward for my 1.4 S-Line,You have answered all the points i had in mind,will be ordering,when the new loom is ready. :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
A1LDU said:
Having read all the posts on this subject,I am now certain this is the way forward for my 1.4 S-Line,You have answered all the points i had in mind,will be ordering,when the new loom is ready. :D
They will be in early next week. Remember anyone thinking of ordering if you don't like it or think its excellent value for money just post it back for a refund.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi TMC - I've been reading this thread with interest. My TDi comes in 2 weeks. 2 questions from me. 1, what will the power boost do to fuel economy? 2, how easy are they to fit? My skills extend to checking oil and water and nothing else. Lack of ability here is really putting me off. All the best.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts