Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I would just like to say that I have bought many extras and accessories for my A1 Sport 1.4 tfsii but by far the best has been my TMC Tuning Box.
I was like many others at first a little sceptical if the box would be worth while but boy o boy was I wrong.
The performance of the car is out of this world compared to the car in standard form.
Acceleration is amazing and the torque in higher gears is fantastic making over taking a breeze at any speed.
I would like to thank Daron from TMC for all his help with installation and advise on testing the performance improvements after installation.
If any one is still in 2 minds please PM me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks, that is a useful post as I have been thinking it for my 1.4tfsi. I was wondering if it is worth running the car in for a few thousand miles before getting the box?

Also did your insurance recognise TMC specifically or do they quote for generic tuning boxes? I'm just wondering what they might want to know as I will need an insurance quote before purchasing a tuning box.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I did run my car in first for 2000 miles, I have declared the TMC Box to my insurers and had to pay a small additional premium but it was a small price to pay for the extra driving pleasure.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I could not agree more,it is a completly different car to standard,fitted my box at 250mls,just had new map installed,and now its even better,smoother etc,who needs a 185bhp when you have this option. :D 1.4 S-Line,amalfi white,black badges,Black team dynamics imolas,6mm spacers,Tmc box,next job,black rear valance and front splitter,black engine designation decals,and the stubby ariel. :D PS Hope to post pics this week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
sounds good, i'll go look for one myself....

·
Registered
539 Posts
Couple of questions ... how easy is it to install anyone got any pics ?

Any difference on fuel econonomy ?

And how much faster is it 0 - 60 then ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The unit is very easy to install and takes around 10mins max, Fuel economy is better if driven normal and only slightly worse if ragged. Not interested in 0-60 speed as this will differ with conditions but all you need to know is that you will have a lot of fun and virtually unlimited torque in higher gears.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I find with the standard spec (122) that it is not bad up to about 80mph , but after that it is quite flat and average.
Would i notice a big differance in this after fitting the TMC unit.??
With no one doing timed runs to 100 mph ??
i do know it takes 23 seconds in standard form going on the vids we see on the net.
Shame no one has put a vid of a TMC box on the net yet.
Tempted to try a box but would like to see some kind of figures if possible first.

·
Registered
512 Posts
GPL said:
I find with the standard spec (122) that it is not bad up to about 80mph , but after that it is quite flat and average.
Would i notice a big differance in this after fitting the TMC unit.??
With no one doing timed runs to 100 mph ??
i do know it takes 23 seconds in standard form going on the vids we see on the net.
Shame no one has put a vid of a TMC box on the net yet.
Tempted to try a box but would like to see some kind of figures if possible first.
Ditto, am still wanting to see the dyno outputs for the 1.4

·
Registered
27 Posts
My current insurance company wont quote with any kind of engine mod on the car (will be shopping round when it comes to renewal).

I'm aware you should declare but i've read elsewhere certain remaps can't be read and they need to reset it to be able to read it which therefore wipes the remap anyway. Not sure how true that is but would be interested to know how easy it is for anyone to tell you've remapped??

Cheers

·
Registered
305 Posts
A1Chris said:
My current insurance company wont quote with any kind of engine mod on the car (will be shopping round when it comes to renewal).

I'm aware you should declare but i've read elsewhere certain remaps can't be read and they need to reset it to be able to read it which therefore wipes the remap anyway. Not sure how true that is but would be interested to know how easy it is for anyone to tell you've remapped??

Cheers
pretty sure the tmc box is untraceable

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
If you dont make insurance company aware just make sure if you crash you gain conciousness to remove tmc chip haha

·
Registered
305 Posts
Bartlett88 said:
If you dont make insurance company aware just make sure if you crash you gain conciousness to remove tmc chip haha
haha yeah!

although my mate had a cooper s and it was tuned to the eyeballs, huge bodykit, illegal lights - the full chavtastic works!... he hadn't declared anything to his insurance company, then he drove it through a barrier completely writing it off in the process, when the insurance company inspected the car, no questions were asked and he got the full payout (direct line btw)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Its going to be around 150-200 extra on insurance...still worth it?

I dont even own it yet and i'm slowly building a stock of parts lol

·
Registered
537 Posts
Is Darron about, i have pm him ,but nothing back yet , and i am ready to order the tuning box,
or can i do it through the company website, and still get my discount.
Cheers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry GPL been flat out PM reply sent. Sorry for the short delay,

·
Registered
145 Posts
Your box will be with you tomorrow. Youll need to have someone in to sign for it.

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Bartlett88 said:
:lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm Gutted my insurance, renewed at the end of March, won't let me have one (this is through Tesco but I'm not sure who the actual insurer is).

Whilst I was talking to Tescos I did get a quote for a 1.4T 185 s-line which didn't seem too bad so it's off to the dealer soon for a test drive to see if I can live with the suspension and the cost.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts