Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just fitted box to my 1.4S-Line,awesome!!.Before fitting,carried out some timed runs,using digital speedo and stopwatch and a friend,three runs 50-70 in 5th gear,averaged 9.15s,ditto 60-80 9.45s.

With Box Fitted,
50-70 5th gear average 7.8s
60-80 5th gear average 8.4s
Considering my car has only done 300 miles,I Think this could improve,as the mileage increases,fitting was easy ,would suggest removing the engine cover for access to cam plug.I noticed when coming off the duel carridgeway on to roundabout,the surge of power in lower gears was very impressive with a very smooth delivery.Very pleased,now going off for some more fun driving. :D :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Awesome!! Sounds great :) can you get a new 0-60 time please.

Also if you dont mind me asking, how old are you and how much did the insurance go up :) i was quoted £214 for mine which makes it harder for me to afford the box as well!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nipz said:

Also if you dont mind me asking, how old are you and how much did the insurance go up :) i was quoted £214 for mine which makes it harder for me to afford the box as well!
Shop around for insurance, other forums I sell on have had threads regarding this subject, some folk changed companies and ended up paying less with the box than they were paying before without it.

I'll try to get a few names of the companies that were cheapest. Alan many thanks for your feedback, I hope the car will be alot more fun now. :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
TMC said:
Nipz said:

Shop around for insurance, other forums I sell on have had threads regarding this subject, some folk changed companies and ended up paying less with the box than they were paying before without it.

I'll try to get a few names of the companies that were cheapest. Alan many thanks for your feedback, I hope the car will be alot more fun now. :D
My insurance isnt up for renewal until August :( paid for it in full so wouldnt be able to get any money back etc. Plus they were the cheapest for me being 20 anyway :(!! I will just have to save harder :)

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Try the A1 Insurance scheme we run. Up to 50bhp gain from tuning and no increase in premium!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Jae said:
Try the A1 Insurance scheme we run. Up to 50bhp gain from tuning and no increase in premium!

Do they count named drivers no claims bonus? as that is all i have at the moment as this year is the first year i have had my own insurance. Admiral count this which is the only reason i can get insured for a reasonable amount on my A1.

·
Registered
537 Posts
A1LDU said:
Just fitted box to my 1.4S-Line,awesome!!.Before fitting,carried out some timed runs,using digital speedo and stopwatch and a friend,three runs 50-70 in 5th gear,averaged 9.15s,ditto 60-80 9.45s.

With Box Fitted,
50-70 5th gear average 7.8s
60-80 5th gear average 8.4s
Considering my car has only done 300 miles,I Think this could improve,as the mileage increases,fitting was easy ,would suggest removing the engine cover for access to cam plug.I noticed when coming off the duel carridgeway on to roundabout,the surge of power in lower gears was very impressive with a very smooth delivery.Very pleased,now going off for some more fun driving. :D :D
Yes 0 to 60
and 0 to 100
MPG??
Thankyou for the info sofar.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not intend to do 0-60 or 0-100 for the time being,rather put some more miles on the clock,I am certain its going to be a lot quicker though,and personally i think 0-60 times are pretty pointless,in the real world,which is why i went 50-70 etc.Just got back from a longer drive and its even better than I thought,a smooth delivery of power,in all gears,seems like driving a different car,this is how the A1 should have been from the start.You will Love IT.!!! :D :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ok when you feel like it could you do a 0-60 to keep us all happy :D

Seams like an awesome box!

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
We will when we have summer tyres on! Cannot get enough traction with winters.

·
Registered
537 Posts
A1LDU said:
I do not intend to do 0-60 or 0-100 for the time being,rather put some more miles on the clock,I am certain its going to be a lot quicker though,and personally i think 0-60 times are pretty pointless,in the real world,which is why i went 50-70 etc.Just got back from a longer drive and its even better than I thought,a smooth delivery of power,in all gears,seems like driving a different car,this is how the A1 should have been from the start.You will Love IT.!!! :D :D
I understand no probs,
Keep us informed when you have run your new car in and then maybe you can give it a go.

It is the 0 to 100 mph i am interested in most.and the MPG. driving normal.
The Cupra will do 0 to 100 in 16 secs.would be nice if it could get close to that , as in standard form i have worked it out that the 1.4 s-line should take 23 secs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That sucks.

I'm going to Munich next weekend to drive a RS5, and I really want to test the 4.6 sec 0-60 :) Let's hope it's fitted with good tires.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
RS5 is a quattro so it should be ok on winters. Don't forget that winters are speed rated, the RS5 will be circa 240 or 270 kph max

·
Registered
512 Posts
E172Essex said:
Does fitting the TMC invalidate the warrenty :?
I would think it would partially void, if not fully void, your warranty if it wasnt fitted/approved by Audi...

Question for TMC - Say I connected a TMC box and used it until my first service period, then removed it for the servicing, can Audi tell from reading the ECU that a tuning box had been fitted?

Cheers,
Andrew

·
Registered
145 Posts
No the box once removed cannot be traced in any tests we have carried out, we even tested a car with the box fitted and nothing showed on the ECU. Also it can't invalidate your warranty, it would be illegal for Audi to refuse to repair say a faulty electric window or wiper motor because you have a tuning box fitted as the two things can't possibly be related, the issue would only be if you were making a warranty claim for an item that was proved beyond doubt to have been damaged as a direct result of fitting the tuning kit. Remapping is a different matter though as you are altering the makers original programming of the vehicle, the box only makes changes whilst connected, once removed the car returns to its factory state.

·
Registered
512 Posts
TMC said:
No the box once removed cannot be traced in any tests we have carried out, we even tested a car with the box fitted and nothing showed on the ECU. Also it can't invalidate your warranty, it would be illegal for Audi to refuse to repair say a faulty electric window or wiper motor because you have a tuning box fitted as the two things can't possibly be related, the issue would only be if you were making a warranty claim for an item that was proved beyond doubt to have been damaged as a direct result of fitting the tuning kit. Remapping is a different matter though as you are altering the makers original programming of the vehicle, the box only makes changes whilst connected, once removed the car returns to its factory state.
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Deff investing in one of these, once my bloody s line turns up!!! Hopefully this week!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Seems to be alot of folk waiting on the cars arriving...

·
Registered
512 Posts
TMC said:
Yeah, apparently mine is in uk but stuck at the port as they haven't released it to the pdi centre yet :(

I just keep getting told different dates....

·
Registered
145 Posts
shakeystevo said:
TMC said:
Yeah, apparently mine is in uk but stuck at the port as they haven't released it to the pdi centre yet :(

I just keep getting told different dates....
They say patience is a virtue, sadly its one I lack :?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts