Audi A1 Forum banner

Telephone controls are a bit confusing!

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  JoshS1 
#1 ·
I can't get used to the controls for ending a telephone conversation. It seems to me that if you initiate a call using the steering wheel buttons, or answer an incoming call on the steering wheel - you can end it and hang up with the steering wheel left scroll button - fine.

...but if you begin a call using the voice control or MMI buttons, or if you answer using the MMI buttons, you can't then end the call on the steering wheel. Even though the DIS for the steering wheel is showing you a raised telephone and detail of the active call, the left scroll button on the steering wheel which usually ends a call, doesn't!

..the upper left function button of the MMI controls isn't a natural place for a button to end a phone call and I end up faffing around trying to close the call when I would really rather not be taking my eyes off the road! It probably doesn't help that I wear varifocal lenses.

I've read my handbook quite thoroughly but whilst it explains the voice control, MMI and DIS - it doesn't completely explain how they mix & match (or not!).

For me the easiest and safest way to start a call is on voice control, but ending the same call is not so easy. Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone know if I am doing it wrong?

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't really think the upper left function button is that hard to find while driving :), but I agree it's not the perfect solution.

Nonetheless, I don't remember having any trouble ending a call with the steering wheel.
I'm going to check, but I don't remember it behaving any different whether you start the conversation from the steering wheel, the voice control or the MMI.

What happens when you started a call from the voice control or the MMI, you have the phone menu in the DIS and you scroll up or down with the left scroll button?

#4 ·
On the centre unit you have 4 option buttons around the main wheel upper left, lower left, upper right, lower right, i think the top left will disconnect a call, but i know what you mean about trying to disconnect once connected from a voice call. i had an awkward moment on someones voice mail trying to disconnect the phone, i think i have also worked out how to end a call on the steering wheel as well now, click to the right a few times on the dis and the phone menu comes up, then scroll to end call and click the centre scroll wheel.

#5 ·
I will try a bit of scrolling, to see if I can reveal the option to end the call via the DIS.

The handbook does describe how to handle a second and even a third call! I don't think I am ready for that yet.

Thanks.

#6 ·
To end the call if it you are not on the phone tab on the DIS all you have to is scroll across to the phone tab and from there it will show you - End Call, mic off and something else. Press the left wheel button in and all done :)

#7 ·
I agree, I have ordered a new A1 and have one on an extended test drive, love the car but the phone controls are weird, why didn't they just have a call/end call button on the wheel like every other manufacturer???

Also on the MMI is there anyway to just display the station you're listening to along with text rather that a list of stations??

On a plus note, the 1.4 140 CoD S-Tronic is an absolute hoot to drive, goes like stink!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.