Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has or will be soon changing their 501 side light bulbs to LED or whiter versions? Same again really with the headlights?

Plan on putting LEDs in mine along with Phillips blue vision.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm planning to change mine also to LED's but I will be changing the headlights to HID bulbs and ballasts . Not strickly legal as you need washers and self level but I'll run the risk for much improved headlights.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Don't forget to swap them back when it's finally time for your MOT. I believe they're adding HIDs to the instant fail list next year.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
That only refers to Xenon like lights. It's always been a fail (xenon lights are not permitted without headlight washers) - just never enforced! Led side lights are not part of HID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The blue visions are legal bulbs they are just a lot whiter and sportier.

I would never try and retro fit a HID kit!

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you replace your side light bulbs with LED bulbs you will get a red warning light come up on the dash informing you that a bulb has failed!

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is one area ive never looked at? swapping light bulbs and covers etc , but must admit the other week i saw a car like mine with what looked like to me led fog lights , so this like some of you have mentioned? is what the person must of done , fitted the led lights.

Urd think the manafactures would start offering these as a option wouldnt you? do fancy the thought of changing a bulb and having a flash warning light on the speedo

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have LED sidelights in my current car and I get no warning lights :|

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well for me if got to change the sidelight bulbs to led maybe I will change is like a white version. But I am planning to change also the sidelight bulb into a led I decided to change a white version. It is look much beautiful than other light bulb if you change it into a led bulb.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I ran LED side lights in my Mini without issue and also in my Galaxy. Fitted the after market HID's to the Galaxy again with no issue. You can buy resistors and will fit these if necassary, I'm a electrical engineer so this no issue for me but you need to be careful not to damage the existing wiring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to sound like im repeating what somebody else has asked.... but would it be at all possible if someone cound provide me with a dummy's guide to changing the headlights and daytime running lights in an Audi A1 1.6 TDI Sport (Without the Xenon option). And also what lights people recommend to change them to? I am basically looking for a much brighter / whiter light.... and preferably road legal.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
445 Posts
dan.mcneill1 said:
Sorry to sound like im repeating what somebody else has asked.... but would it be at all possible if someone cound provide me with a dummy's guide to changing the headlights and daytime running lights in an Audi A1 1.6 TDI Sport (Without the Xenon option). And also what lights people recommend to change them to? I am basically looking for a much brighter / whiter light.... and preferably road legal.

Many Thanks
There are instructions in the manual,I think you have to take the headlamps out to get to all the bulbs.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hey Nipz.

Pick my S Line up Tue/wed if all goes well.

I have blue vision bulbs with side lights ready to go in same night I get the car :)

I'll post pics don't worry lol

Andrew

·
Registered
811 Posts
shakeystevo said:
Hey Nipz.

I have blue vision bulbs with side lights ready to go in same night I get the car :)

Andrew
Andrew - have you got blue vision side lights? If so can you post a link if purchased online? Thanks

P.S. Pics before and after if possible! :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
mrfaize said:
shakeystevo said:
Hey Nipz.

Andrew
Andrew - have you got blue vision side lights? If so can you post a link if purchased online? Thanks

Bought off eBay, I'll try n dig out the link.

The 501 bulbs came with the main h7 bulbs, not sure if they will fit yet....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
shakeystevo said:
mrfaize said:
shakeystevo said:
Hey Nipz.

Andrew

Bought off eBay, I'll try n dig out the link.

The 501 ones 100% don't fit. The A1 uses w21w bulbs for side lights. I guess it's because they are bigger with more light.
The 501 bulbs came with the main h7 bulbs, not sure if they will fit yet....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts