Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that the stop start function sometimes has a funny turn. Every now and again the function does not work for the whole journey, regardless of how frequently i stop at junctions, lights etc. I have also noticed when it does this it smells incredibly hot when i get out. Also when i start the engine at the begining of one of these episodes it takes longer to start from cold.
Now I can do the same journey when it isnt doing this and does stop start, and there is no hot smell and all seems well.
I did wonder if it is something to do with the brake energy regeneration thing generating more energy. I am not going to worry too much about it until it gets annoying or does it all the time.
Any thoughts anyone ?

G

·
Hi Simonski

I haven't taken ownership of my A1 yet, but this doesn't seem right to me - especially the part where you state that 'it smells incredibly hot'. I wonder if an electrical component that isn't functioning properly and thats what the smell is, does it smell like burning electrical parts or a really hot engine? Either way,I'd take it back to the dealership and get them to have a look at it, explaining what you have on here.

HTH :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Assuming you have a diesel, I think it is more to do with the regeneration of the DPF, which is probably why it smells hot when you get out. There is a software update concerning DPF regeneration.

If you have a petrol, I'm buggered :lol:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When i got to work tonight there was a cosiderable amout of smoke coming from under the bonnet. I couldnt see exactly where it was coming from, but it was at tbe back of the engine by the turbo. Although the engine was extremely hot the temp gauge wasnt reading high. I have read here that other diesel owners have had smoke eminating from under the bonnet. Think it might need a coat of looking at !

·
Registered
8 Posts
I came on to look for answers to this very same problem.

I have an 11 plate 1.6 TDI Sport, which has covered just under 1100 miles. Tonight I also noticed the car was extremely hot after a short journey (20 minutes on b roads and a 20 minute wait with start/stop on, outside the chippy). Due to the heat and smell I popped the bonnet to investigate, and noticed towards the rear of the engine bay, heat/smoke rising from the direction of the turbo etc.

I also decided to check the oil, of which there was none (I put this down to the fact the engine had been in use and wouldnt have settled back down).

The regeneration to clean out the PDF filter sounds possible, but I'm not sure if the filter would clean it after such a short distance, and whether I actually drove in a manner to trigger the process? (under 2000 rpm for 15 minutes according to the book?).

If anyone can shed anymore light on this, I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps it is supposed to do it then.
I am going to have to check the book for info on this PDF.
What is regeneration to clean the PDf filter ?

G

·
"I also decided to check the oil, of which there was none (I put this down to the fact the engine had been in use and wouldnt have settled back down)."

I'm no expert guys but you should be able to see an oil level on the dipstick even with the car warm. I'd check the car when sat level and cold, and make sure its at max level.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Chunky Monkey said:
"I also decided to check the oil, of which there was none (I put this down to the fact the engine had been in use and wouldnt have settled back down)."

I'm no expert guys but you should be able to see an oil level on the dipstick even with the car warm. I'd check the car when sat level and cold, and make sure its at max level.
Yes, there should still be a reading of oil on the diptick even straight after use. You can't rely on this as a oil level test but I would be concerned if there wasn't any at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.