Audi A1 Forum banner

still need convincing..

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  entiendo 
#1 ·
ok so i 'm getting closer to trading down from my TT.. i don't want to buy new and wait so that rules out getting another white car (have ibis now) so only Daytona as an option.

have many come from a TT and is it a painful change?

seen a A1 with following spec for 19k, what do we reckon?

registered jan but only 20miles (been a shown car)
Xenons / LED DRL/ auto light wipers
Comfort pack
acoustic parking
Cruise Control
Climate Control
Technology pack/ sat nav /AMI /Bluetooth
Electric mirrors
Door sills with aluminum inlays
LED interior light pack
Aluminum interior trim
Luggage Package
18" alloys 7-Twin Spoke Design Alloy Wheels

only thing missing is the Bose which i really wanted...

See less See more
#4 ·
Doesn't look like a bargain to me. In a weeks time it will have the appearance of being one year old (60 plate compared to a 61 plate) so I bet the dealer is desperate to get it off his books. Ok, it's in effect brand new but it's age means it's Market value is much less than list price. If you plan to keep it for a few years then it will be a super deal but if you want to sell it on in a year or two you'll be out of pocket. Assume it will be worth 50% of list price in 2 years time, say £10k so it will cost you £9k over 2 years. I think you might find a downgrade from a TT difficult and may soon get twitchy feet and look for a change. Remember, dealers don't give bargains, they know exactly what they are doing and have not mis priced it.

#5 ·
The list price for the spec is over 21.5k new so 8 months old 2.5k less but without the mileage Can't be that bad?

I don't get the point your making, i,d lose far more on it if I had got it new?

#6 ·
Hi Dynamo. It's a funny one. The mileage says it brand new, the registration plate will say it's a year old, so yes you're getting a 'brand new' car for a great discount on list price but in my opinion its not a bargain because a one year old car should be sold for a hefty discount. That said it would be a great motor and should bring lots of joy so if it feels right go for it. They are great cheap to run cars. All the best.

#7 ·
Dynamo said:
The list price for the spec is over 21.5k new so 8 months old 2.5k less but without the mileage Can't be that bad?

I don't get the point your making, i,d lose far more on it if I had got it new?
Seems a good deal... Grab a £250 private plate and people will think it is a 61 plate ;)

#8 ·
I had a 6 month old TT (Ibis too) and downgraded to an A1 (forgetting the fault-prone 1 month of Alfa-romeo ownership).

You'll already know that the cabin space is very good in the A1 so no real feel of a small car compared to the TT. The only thing I miss in all honesty is the quattro. I'm not saying I need it, but I miss the 'feel'. Otherwise I would be as bold as to say that my A1 is more exciting than the TT. I think this is partly due to the expectation that a TT will perform. I also had this in my Lotus, people expect a certain performance, whereas the A1 (albeit a 185 with TMC) provides a nice little surprise to onlookers when the foot is down.

I personally did not rate the Bose in the TT mk2, I had it in my TT mk1 years ago and then it was good. I had a custom setup in my TT mk2 which outperformed the Bose easily, so I wouldn't worry too much on that front. I've got Bose in the A1 and it's good, albeit annoying with a lack of custom EQ.

The TT was more of a head-turner probably (black wheels, black windows) but I miss it less than I thought I would.....

Hope that helps.

#9 ·
It's not being sold as brand new, the price is 19k but this can surely be knocked down.

when you look at the used market all the A1's are holding because 99% are at dealers, maybe it makes you think oh I may as well buy new.

when do we round 8 months up to a year.

#10 ·
Dynamo said:
have many come from a TT and is it a painful change?
Hi,
Not yet but on the way from an 09 plate TTS Roadster ( Stronic & Magnetic Dampers )to an A1 185. I did not find a small car feel to the A1 (test drive) and its performance while not earth shattering is acceptable and the ride is a million times better than a Cooper S and was comfortable on all road surfaces ( A , B & Motorway).

It's all about what you can afford, I took early retirement in April 2008 aged 52. So its time for me to slow down and reduce my outgoings i.e Servicing (buy fixed with A1), Insurance, Fuel & Road Tax. If I was still working I would by a Porsche Cayman / Boxster (again) as the TTS stronic is now overpriced at around £37K.

Now is the time to buy as there may be plated stock to move before 1st sept and salesmen still have target boards if you look in the offices.

Remember its not want they want for their A1(19K) it's the price to change and the deal you can do i.e free Servicing / warranty etc.

#12 ·
You say Daytona is an option, that is only available on the S-line, so if it's an S-line I paid 20.5K for a 1.6TDi, items below are over and above my spec but I do have the connectivity pack.

Comfort pack £600
acoustic parking £305
Cruise Control £235
Technology pack/ sat nav /AMI /Bluetooth £1175
Aluminum interior trim £100
Luggage Package £95

Just over 2.5k of extras, could be a good deal depending on which model it is

#15 ·
I've pretty much got the options you've listed plus a couple of others with the exception of the technology pack for £20k OTR. This included the servicing, tank of fuel etc.

At a £19k starting price you will get the servicing & tank of fuel and guess need to try and get it down a bit more.

The only drawback as noted by others is its age but that'll only impact you if you're looking to get shut soon and to be honest even then, it's very high spec anyway.

Put it this way if I knew that car had been available before I ordered mine last week I'd have went for it and probably said £18k take it or leave it. It's rare to have a spec like that ready to take away straight away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.