Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just a quick question to all of you who have your cars already.do any of you experience the car not tracking straight and pulling to the left and even more so when passenger is in the car and increases with more passengers to the point you're compensating even more steering angle to the right. This is our second A1 and they both do and did the same I think its probably set back or castor angles of the front wheels. Any ideas would be appreciated

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can't say i have noticed this!
I had done just ove 2000 miles now over both motorway & rural roads and never noticed it.

Judging by your name "fasteddy" are you sure it's not your driving style :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha no definitely not as I said this is our second A1 and remember this happening to a mk2 Golf GTI I had in the 80s

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well I think its the road camber as it does sometimes on A -roads but no more than other cars. On the M-way get in the middle lane and it tracks perfectly straight

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We'll its not the camber of the roads,we also used to have a Polo GTI in which had the same problem but was manufactured with loose front cross member bolts so we tied a rope on the nearside end of crossmember and pulled it forward slightly so that the visible gap between tyre and bottom edge of sill was equal and tightened up the bolts and hey presto the car drove straight as a dye. So the question is does the A1 have a crossmember in which what was achieved with the Polo was setback and castor was rectified easily

·
Registered
108 Posts
No, mine is absolutely fine after 2800 miles. I would suggest dropping into your dealer and get the tracking checked.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Ill know what they'll say and it'll be all measurements are within manufactures tolerances and modern cars today cant be adjusted for setback and castor angles thus that why we did what we did with the Polo

·
Registered
84 Posts
Cant hurt trying at the dealership. Also check your tyre pressures. You may find they may be down on the left....
just trying to cover all bases

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm currently in dispute with my dealer and Audi about a similar issue to this. As it's still ongoing and may yet be resolved, I'll not go into all the details just now.
However, one of the difficulties I'm facing is that mine is allegedly the only complaint of this nature from any of the A1's sold in the UK to date. Basically I can detect a significant pull to the left at all speeds and on all straight roads. It is particularly obvious at motorway speeds. An example of this is when driving in the fast lane, if one loosens grip on the wheel, the car will almost immediately change lanes and continue to do so at which point it is wise to re-tighten your grip. Steering geometry has been checked so it's something else that's causing it. My car is a 1.6 TDi. Not sure if it's just my car, just the diesels, some of the diesels or all A1's that display this and would be interested in forum members feedback on their cars.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mine goes as straight as an arrow at all times. I'm chuffed with this as our Galaxy pulls annoyingly to the left. Sorry to hear your problem and hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mine goes a little to the left too. I'm from Portugal and we drive on the left side of the car... Funny thing is that it still happens when I take someone on the passenger seat, so its not a weight balancement problem (nevertheless I weight about 65 kilos lol).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check your tyre pressures... If they're bother lower on the left than the right it'll cause more traction making it drag to the left.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Funny thing is i had a test drive in the sport and the s line,i dont rememer which model it was but one of those i noticed the steering wheel wasnt quiet straight..i thought at the time it had maybe been kerbed or tyre pressure wasnt right..

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Must have been the sport ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi There,

Just joined to let people know that I have the same issue with my new Audi A1 - its pulling to the left very strongly. I haven't been able to enjoy driving it since I have had it for 2 weeks.

Its back with the dealer and they said that they cant find anything wrong with it.

Im so disappointed, do you think I am within my rights to ask for a new car? I reported it within one hour of getting the car and they asked me to wait a week or so until they go the equipment to align it correctly.

Im worried if it goes over 30 days I'll lose out on getting a new car.....

Any help / comments would be appreciated

Alignment / tracking / tyre pressue has been checked

·
Registered
142 Posts
SadA1Owner said:
Hi There,

Just joined to let people know that I have the same issue with my new Audi A1 - its pulling to the left very strongly. I haven't been able to enjoy driving it since I have had it for 2 weeks.

Its back with the dealer and they said that they cant find anything wrong with it.

Im so disappointed, do you think I am within my rights to ask for a new car? I reported it within one hour of getting the car and they asked me to wait a week or so until they go the equipment to align it correctly.

Which model a1 do you have ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
SadA1Owner said:
Hi There,

I think you should put the problem in writing to the dealer, and explain that if they cannot rectify the problem with the equipment when they get it - that you reserve the right to a replacement vehicle. Think you need to protect your rights in case it turns out to be a problem vehicle.

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for your replies.
In answer to your questions, I have an Audi A1 1.4TFSI, White, Fog Light & Heated wing mirrors. (Mileage under 500km)

The car is still in the dealers and they can not find why its pulling to the left, but they have confirmed it is in fact pulling to the left. I will take your advice and put the complaint into a letter to the dealer.

I just hope they have not screwed up the chassis alignment during production???

·
Registered
126 Posts
SadA1Owner said:
Hi,

Thanks for your replies.
In answer to your questions, I have an Audi A1 1.4TFSI, White, Fog Light & Heated wing mirrors. (Mileage under 500km)

The car is still in the dealers and they can not find why its pulling to the left, but they have confirmed it is in fact pulling to the left. I will take your advice and put the complaint into a letter to the dealer.

I just hope they have not screwed up the chassis alignment during production???
Good luck - let us know how you get on. Don't forget if they do sort it out properly for you it may be worth asking for some compensation for your trouble - even if they only give you some freebies.

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

Thanks all for the feedback. Someone sent me a private message. I can't reply because I am a newbie though :(

I am in Ireland and will let you all know how I get on,

Cheers

1 - 20 of 81 Posts