Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys/gals

I have a tdi, is it normal or not to see steam coming from the oil dipstick hole (when dipstick removed) when the engine is running? I think my car might be a pup as it has already had a new clutch and flywheel after 150 miles!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
921 Posts
Why on earth would you remove the dipstick with the engine running? The dipstick is for checking the oil level and you can't do that with the engine running.
There's normally closed loop crank case breathing and taking the dipstick out with the engine running opens it up to the atmosphere so, yes you would expect to see fumes or vapour. I expect the engine started running a bit differently too - you shouldn't do it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As above! Under normal operation the crankcase gases go through an oil separater and then the gases return into the intake side. So opening the dipstick with the engine running will vent out the gases (with oil particles in).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Who the hell checks their oil when they have the engine running, Its just stupid!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
:lol: WTF? Why not just take the valve cover off the engine while you're at it. If you like looking at steam, I'm sure you'll see alot of it then.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I know you it's not good taking the dipstick out while it's running. Its just the car started making a right racket and I opened the bonnet and steam/exhaust gases were coming from the valve cover (blow by?) I switched off quickly, restarted and noise went so that's when I checked the dipstick for oil level. Car has been fine ever since except for smelling inside. Going to keep an eye on it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts