Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my A1 since 17th Jan (still early days - Lovin' It) and have covered 900miles with average MPG of 53 (slightly disappointed but I can live with this, better than 43 :D) BUT what I'm really interested in a second opinion on is how others are getting on with 'Stop - Start'.

Around 20mins of my 50 Mile Per Day trip are spent sitting in traffic *yawn* and part of the appeal of the A1 was being able to 'Stop - Start' but I've noticed that this function only works when the outside temperature is above 6degrees* …It's not my dear little A1's fault we have been having cold weather recently and It's only short term (I hope)…

But is anyone else experiencing the same?

*Note - The dealer did advise it would need to 'warm up' with a certain amount of miles which I certainly understand but sometimes even after 10/15miles my A1 won't have any of it!

·
Registered
284 Posts
There are several reasons for which the Stop/Start feature stops working:

-Long mileage and engine is hot and therefore it is not shut down, this applies to the turbo also.
-Air conditioning is depend on the compressor and therefore depedent on the engine. If the engine stops the temperature will rise/fall dependent on the outside temp and the car to stabilize the temperature will start or keep the engine running to keep the inside temp at your preference;
-And some more others factors I'll try to explain later on, but in most cases you just need to shut off the AC and it will stop in traffic.

·
Registered
445 Posts
it does seem to be a bit hit and miss I drove for 30 minutes and then got into city traffic but start stop would not enable but on the way home it worked.On the inward journey the outside temp was 4 so i presume this must have stopped it working.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine hardly ever activates. My usual work trip is only a couple of miles and rarely has the outside temp and engine temp been high enough for it to work. I think it doesn't work on inclines either.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was pondering the benefit recently as unless there's heavy traffic I do my best to look ahead an anticipate the gaps etc. None of that racing to the red light stuff. With that in mind, the published mpg figures might not be so achievable as the stop start function is never getting a chance to work it's magic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well good to hear i'm not the only one!
When it works..It's perfect&yesterday it was 12degree's so happy stop-starting whilst sititng in a jam waiting for the lights to change.
I think like everyone i've just got to wait untill the weather improves and the car is better 'run in' :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.