Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen many (any?) discussions on the Start-Stop feature on the Audi A1. I know other cars have it, but it is entirely new to me and I am wondering if I will love it, or whether I will end up cancelling it every time I set off!

Although most of the reviews have mentioned the fuel economy, I don't think think anyone has really said anything about what its like to have the car stopping in traffic etc,. and whether or not it is annoying or really quite seamless.

So, what is it like? Good, or bad?

·
Registered
219 Posts
The A3 1.4T that I test drove out of the showroom earlier this year had the feature. It's very clever but I wasn't extremely impressed. I guess that not having had this before, if I decide I can hear/feel when the engine is starting up each time, I'll probably turn it off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have it on my BMW 1series and it is ok. When at lights and you are out of gear and foot off clutch the car turns off. The second you touch the clutch it restarts. You can either keep your foot on the clutch or turn it off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How does it operate on the S-tronic? And I wonder how it affects pulling out of a junction into fast moving traffic....my A2 can be quite hesitant pulling away from a standstill which can be quite scary on busy roundabouts!

·
Registered
921 Posts
I would think foot on brake and into N when you stop will kill engine, foot on brake and into D restarts it.
If you don't want it to kill the engine, stay in D with foot on brake or turn istop/start off.

You're not going to be using stop/start at a roundabout are you? Surely its more likely to be when stopped in traffic or at traffic lights, so pulling away shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
442 Posts
ive got it on my mini , you switch it off if you want too. I tend to switch it off , i know this technology is good but my biggest worry is ? what wear and tear is this doing to the starter motor?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Chelmersteve said:
I would think foot on brake and into N when you stop will kill engine, foot on brake and into D restarts it.
If you don't want it to kill the engine, stay in D with foot on brake or turn istop/start off.

You're not going to be using stop/start at a roundabout are you? Surely its more likely to be when stopped in traffic or at traffic lights, so pulling away shouldn't be a problem.
I would hope not. The reason I asked was that the WhatCar review of the Alfa Mito with dual clutch transmission, which WhatCar claim is one of the best systems they've come across in a small car, has stop-start and suffers from being quite sluggish at start-up which, according to WhatCar, can make pulling away into traffic more fraught than it should be.

From what you say, the Audi system shouldn't have a similar behaviour.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I've not experienced either of the stop/start systems, its going to be very a case of 'suck it and see,' however I've not seen any criticism of it.
The manual Mito is sluggish pulling away though - I hated it when I had a test drive. In its 'Normal' mode I had to give it so much throttle just to get it moving.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ive have stop start on the mini cooper im using now which ive had for 18 months since new and done 78k miles and the mini before 12 months old and 55K miles which i use for driving tuition.
Ive not had any problems with it and got used to it and my pupils have no problems either.
I average 52mpg overall teaching but have no idea if switching stop start off would make diff to fuel consumption.
Ive been teaching now for 18yrs and found that ive averaged similar mpg on all previous cars( peugeot 306,206,207s,corsas,fiestas,megannes) throughout these years.
My thoughts are from experience that its not made massive diff because my older cars achieved similar mpg with older technology.
Hope A1 manages better mpg for me

·
Registered
21 Posts
It seems AutoCar have the same complaint with the sluggish start-stop in the Alfa Mito making life difficult when joining a busy road.

The only description I could find of the Audi A3 S-tronic start-stop system is:

"The start-stop system turns the engine off as soon as the vehicle comes to a stop; the engine stays off as long as the driver depresses the brake pedal. As soon as the driver removes their foot from the brake pedal, start-stop turns the engine back on - quietly, conveniently and quickly."

No mention of putting the car in Neutral.....

On the A3 there is button on the dash to disable the start-stop but I haven't seen a similar button anywhere on the A1 dash.

I guess its a case of wait and see.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
The desription is for the S Tronic models. The manual cars have to be placed into neutral. The pick up on the A1 is great, not a great deal of lag when restarting, but you do need to change your driving style for the manual.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Jae said:
The desription is for the S Tronic models. The manual cars have to be placed into neutral. The pick up on the A1 is great, not a great deal of lag when restarting, but you do need to change your driving style for the manual.
So does this mean that the S Tronic model will switch off the engine whenever the car comes to a standstill with brake applied, unless start-stop has been deactivated?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I regularly drive an A3 with the start/stop and it really is no big deal.

It is strange at first, stopping at a traffic light and feeling the car shutting down. You feel it, you hear it, there's no way you miss it! But as soon as you press the clutch pedal, engine starts, fast and very smoothly. If you aren't racing, it takes the time you take engaging first gear.

If you are worried with pulling away quickly, just press the clutch a little earlier for the engine to be running when you really want to start driving again.

Small detail: when the car shuts down and you turn it on by pressing the pedal, it won't shut down again if you release the pedal. It just stays on until you start driving, reach a certain speed and stop again. And it won't shut down after small maneuvers like parking or driving in reverse.

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Probably as it is a high performance A1 and not aimed at the ECO customers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
wish I didn't have start/stop...I always turn it off but sometimes forget to press the button when I start the engine...wish there was a way to switch it off forever.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
oldman said:
I understand that the 1.4 TFSI 185bhp does not have the start-stop system, Anyone knows the reason? Thanks.
As far as I knew all A1s had this. Can a 185hp owner confirm?

Mr Oak Eater said:
wish I didn't have start/stop...I always turn it off but sometimes forget to press the button when I start the engine...wish there was a way to switch it off forever.
Read about VCDS on the forum I'm sure someone said there's a setting to swtich it off. Do you really want to waste expensive petrol though? :p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts