Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spot the difference lol......and its not the shoddy numberplate blanking :lol:

Maybe not to some peoples liking but I think its the one thing that was missing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
There is a reason Audi dont place it on the Front / Back - it's not "technology" like the quattro / S / RS is ;) S-Line is a Trim level ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why is the S-line badge on your front grill?......Is it not supposed to be on the side of the car towards the front?.....I thought the quattro and Rs badges are put on the front! :?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The S Line badging on the grille is on various other Audi models, here in the UK anyway.

May have been older ones, but was still added.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yorky40 said:
youve fit this yourself yes >? as its not on the pics in your gallery..
i like things to be nice and uniform,not to my liking..
Yes, added last night. You can buy the kit for it, fits nicely into the grille without it looking messy.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I bought one with a couple of v-shaped pins on it (the right 72mm size) - but its not tight enough to fix in - how did you make it stick in - or is yours one of the ones with posts and rear brackets/bolt-through ones (which I've only seen the wrong size - 90mm) ?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MDPlatts said:
I bought one with a couple of v-shaped pins on it (the right 72mm size) - but its not tight enough to fix in - how did you make it stick in - or is yours one of the ones with posts and rear brackets/bolt-through ones (which I've only seen the wrong size - 90mm) ?
Ahhh, it wasn't an easy task. Time is required to get right lol.

The V pins are not long enough to secure to the grill.

Firstly, mine is attached to the underside of one on the horizontal slats. To do this you need to remove the badge from the plastic bracket and turn it upside down and re-stick. You will find it fits much better into the grill.

Now the tricky bit. at first I thought about getting some v clips made slightly longer, however I decided to glue it to the bumper. Now standard super glue or resins won't work and it will damage the high gloss plastic. I used a product (which I have had experience with) called Sikaflex. It's a compound that drys to a rubber type state which us great as it remains that bit flexible when hitting bumps etc. The compound is black and has instant grip when applied. So I used small amounts on the bracket and attached it. 12h to dry and hey presto, it's done.

Good thing too is that the badge can be removed and the compound removed from the grill with no issues.

Like I say, it's tedious to do but done right you'll have no bother.

Do not buy the one with large oval type brackets as these don't have anything to fix to in the grill ( they are more suited to a honeycomb type grill)

Hope this helps, if you want any further info give me a shout.

Andrew

·
Registered
274 Posts
I suppose clear silicone sealant might do it - given time to cure and something to stop it running away whilst it does it - that stuff.

I think I see what you mean - the "underside" is flatter than the angled top - and from your photo it does almost seem to be "on" one of the bars rather than between them. Did you leave the clips on for something to bind to or remove them for flat-plate to flat-ish-plate ?

Why they've not fitted them I don't know - all other S-Line models have them - and like you say, it looks wrong - trim-level or not, it should be there - or be removed from all the other models.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm might do, not sure how good it will stick. bare in mind its going to hit full on by the wind and rain etc...

Its secured to the underside rather than between the grill. I removed the clips them so it was as flat as possible.

I think they have removed the concept of adding them to the newer S Line models, and as Jae points out, have the engine technology instead. But I do agree its the thing missing, but thats my personal preference.

If you do decide to glue/bond it to the grill, take your time and choose the right stuff for the job. anything less and you run the risk of damaging the grill and I bet a new high gloss S Line grill from Audi isnt cheap!!

Just for your info, this is the stuff I used (got it from Screwfix Direct):

http://gbr.sika.com/en/solutions_products/01/01a001/01a001sa02/01a001sa02100/01a001sa02102.html

Its the one at the bottom "Sikaflex-552"

Andrew

·
Registered
274 Posts
shakeystevo said:
That's the stuff, £7 may seem a lot for the fact you only use some the size of a pea, but worth it ;)
I may have a play with clear silicone one friday night if I'm not using the car the next day - put some in and wedge it - though as you say, it might come off under wind stress or general road vibrations.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi All,

Does anyone know how easy it is to remove the front grille?

Looking at it there only appear to be a few torx screws at the top, and I imagine a couple of clips hidden away.

I also wanted to add an s-line badge to the front grille, but went for this one as I think it would look good set back into the grille:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-S-Line-Sline ... 336442dc98

If its not easy to remove I will just have to find a way to use zip-ties!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would stay away from this type. There isn't a way to secure it correctly and the badge is a lot bigger than the normal s line badge

·
Registered
537 Posts
How is your ebay site mine has not been right now for atleast 2 weeks, page all over the place , and cannot use various options., are they having problems , sorry to change subject a little.

·
Registered
68 Posts
shakeystevo said:
I would stay away from this type. There isn't a way to secure it correctly and the badge is a lot bigger than the normal s line badge
I actually like the fact that it is a bigger logo, especially as I want it set back in the grille. It fits perfectly between the slats.

As far as fitting it goes, the grille is laid out in such a way that the fixing that comes with the logo will work perfectly and will allow it to be very secure. the posts on the back of the logo fit between some of the vertical slats, and once in it will not rotate adding to the security. The only issue I have is that the grille needs to be taken off to fit it!

I do not want to start glueing anything to my grille, have seen the mess that this can make, and would rather not buy a replacement grille. This is especially an issue when I regularly have to park in an area where badges/aerials often go walkabouts from cars. I can just picture the damage someone ripping it off would do...

GPL said:
How is your ebay site mine has not been right now for atleast 2 weeks, page all over the place , and cannot use various options., are they having problems , sorry to change subject a little.
Mine is working fine to buy, but not tried selling anything for a while

·
Registered
53 Posts
Does anyone know how easy it is to remove the front grille?

Looking at it there only appear to be a few torx screws at the top, and I imagine a couple of clips hidden away.
Any news? :?:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts