Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an A1 1.4 TFSI Sport 16". I was wondering how firm is the sport suspension for city driving on UK roads? Is the substantially dynamic suspension better?

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi

I have a 1.4 tfsi sport on 16". I find the suspension set up is fine. It is firm but by no means harsh.

I can't comment on the A1 dynamic suspension as I have never tried it out. However my last car was an '09 A3 se on the standard suspension, and that was quite a bit softer. I prefer the A1 though.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
scalawag said:
Hi

I have a 1.4 tfsi sport on 16". I find the suspension set up is fine. It is firm but by no means harsh.

I can't comment on the A1 dynamic suspension as I have never tried it out. However my last car was an '09 A3 se on the standard suspension, and that was quite a bit softer. I prefer the A1 though.
I agree.....True Dat! ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi

I have the Sport TDI on 17inch alloys and having road tested this model and wheels with the 'sports' suspension i opted for dynamic. The sport with 17inch alloys on the demo car was quite stiff, even with 3 people in and there was the odd rattle on the car and thump over our ever worsening roads!

Even the dynamic running on 17inch alloys could not be described as soft but the ride is good and i have not shaken the car so much that anything rattles or knocks!!!-yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Following a bad experience with 'sport' suspension on a SEAT, (It made me sick to drive it! I got rid after 6 months.)
I have opted for dynamic suspension on my, yet to appear, Sport A1. Having said that, the demonstrator was a Sline and that was tolerable during our half-day test drive. I think that the profile of the tyres has much to do with ride, but 15"/55's are not an option on the Sport. So I've done as much as I can to keep my fillings in place. If you have old bones like me, opt for dynamic. Like so much else, it's an age thing.

P.S. If the moderator is reading, how do I change my password?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have a 1.6tdi Sport with sport suspension and I regret not having ordered dynamic suspension.
Im running on the 16's (215/45) and the ride is stiff like like a rock! And also, very bouncy!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have a Sport ,16" wheels with dynamic suspension the ride is just right.I suspect many of the complaints of rattles are due to the firm ride of the A1.If you dont want a hard ride then go for dynamic.

·
Registered
263 Posts
First post - so Hi All!
I have 1.6 TDI Sport with 16" wheels on order, until now I was pretty sure I could live with Sport Suspension but having read above I'll probably try to change it to Dynamic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Zero|Cool said:
I have a 1.6tdi Sport with sport suspension and I regret not having ordered dynamic suspension.
Im running on the 16's (215/45) and the ride is stiff like like a rock! And also, very bouncy!
+1

I did not want to wait for 4-5 months, so got an ex-demo car, 1.4TFSI Sport.

Before buying, I test drove about 4 different A1s in different combinations of engines, tyre-size, etc, and I felt I would be OK with Sports suspension. But that was the roads near the $tealers.

The roads around my area in London are pretty poor, and because of the clattering (and couple of rattles that have developed as a result), I do wish I had the option of Dynamic suspension.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, and there are people who are happy with the Sports suspension, and 17" and 18" wheels.

But for London driving, I know a lot of people are opting for softer ride quality for whichever car they buy, as the roads ain't getting better any time soon :roll:

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Hi, I have gone for the A1 1.4 TFSI Sport with the 17" Bi-Col Alloys. Would you recommend staying with the Sports Suspension or should I have the Dealer change it to the Dynamic Suspension.

Currently have a VW Polo TSI SEL On 17" ... Any Idea of how it will Compare Ride wise ?

·
Registered
284 Posts
MM087 said:
Hi, I have gone for the A1 1.4 TFSI Sport with the 17" Bi-Col Alloys. Would you recommend staying with the Sports Suspension or should I have the Dealer change it to the Dynamic Suspension.

Currently have a VW Polo TSI SEL On 17" ... Any Idea of how it will Compare Ride wise ?
Simples, Polo's usually have dynamic. If you like the softness of the Polo then get dynamic on the A1.
Cool thing I noticed with a friend who owns an A1 with 17' and dynamic suspension is that his ride is softer than mine despite the fact that im running with 16'. So I guess that the suspension really makes the difference and not so much the tyre size as I previously thought. :(

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm gonna study what's the difference between them both and see if it is possible to retrofit the dynamic suspension!
I was told that the only difference between them is the height so maybe swaping some of the components is an easy fix?

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Hi, Thanks for the info ... I like the ride of the Polo however my Dealer has told me to stick with the Sport Suspensions due to me upgrading to the 17" Alloys. Is the best advice or should I change ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have the same car, wheels etc. Went for a stock car on sports suspension but if I did it again would go for dynamic.

Its fine on good roads, but on the vast majority of roads around the Nottingham area there's no such thing as a good road and it tends to fidget, bounce along etc. Payoff is it corners like on rails but on balance a nicer ride would be better.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Eeeekkk ... Decisions. Stick with the Sport or Go with the Dynamic ? I Think I need to go Drive an SE (Which has the Dynamic and a Sport) Back to Back. Only Problem i guess the SE With the Dynamic won't have the 17" Alloys i have Specified

1 - 15 of 15 Posts