Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Had my S1 just over a week now last Tuesday it started to develop a squealing noise I think from one of thr rear wheels but only when pulling off & keeping to really low speeds a little embarrassing if you are stuck crawling in traffic.

I phoned my dealer last Friday to report this they said that as been as car was new maybe it was just bedding in & the best thing was to take it for a good long run which I have just done over the past few days I took the car on a 300 mile road trip at first I thought it had solved the problem but no the noise started again when I was stuck on M5 today in tail backs.

I really do not want to have to return it back to dealers for inspection as it is just such a pain but looks like I have no choice just wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem on their new S1 ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got my S1 Sportback about a week and a half ago, 27 March. I have also marked a strange noise from the left back wheel area when I'm driving really slowly or parking. Sounds a bit like it's coming from the shock/suspension, but I'll listen out for it again on my way to work this morning.

Not all to sure if mine is a squealing noise, but I'll report back this afternoon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the same noise at low speeds and when I would push the brake the noise would go away. When I changed my winter wheels for the Summer wheels I cleaned all the calipers and hubs and I haven't heard the noise since.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have had the same identical noise issue with two new S1's

The first was an MY14 which arrived with minor bodywork damage so agreed with the dealer for me to use it (until a new same spec S1 arrived from the factory) It had the 'sporadic squealing noise' occasionally when a low speeds - I put it down to pads braking in or possibly a trapped stone somewhere between the guard and disc - Was trading in so never bothered to get it checked out - The bad news is that it was still doing it "occasionally' when I swopped the cars over @ 9,000miles

My new MY15 has done this from the start and sounds like its coming from the nearside rear. Have been round the block a few times with the service manager on board but 'predictably' :roll: I was unable to reproduce it. The service manager checked but could not find any Audi AG reference on his database so we agreed that I would monitor it.

As there are a few of us with the same issue it's probably worth showing this thread to the dealer for them to investigate

Who's going first? :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yep,same here,slow speed,quick touch of the brake and disappears,then returns!
Been in touch with dealer,they added to bring the car in, but haven't had time yet,
just hope it's not causing any damage, will be booking it in, when I am on holiday
w/c 13/04/15.

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
I have 5800 miles on mine and it has been doing for the last ~800 or so. It was actually in the dealers the last 24 hours (for other issues), but I forgot to mention this to them. Mine sounds like its the drivers side rear, and it does it when crawling at like 0.5mph - usually I only hear it briefly as I come to a slow stop or very gentle pull away, but in slow moving traffic it gets very irritating! I can't find any correlation to hot/cold or after a lot of braking or indeed after not braking for a few miles.

Mine's got to go back in at some point in the next few weeks once they have the parts they had to order (damaged door card from delivery also requires a new armrest as they are plastic welded together at the factory - had door card but not armrest! so armrest now ordered), so when it goes in for that I will attempt to reproduce it for them - sods law it won't do it of course!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just under 10k on my S1 but haven't heard anything yet. That said I haven't had window down with radio quiet for a while. Will try and see if I can hear anything

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trust me you would hear it it can be quiet loud although the past few days has got a little less only the occasional low squeal.

This a really frustrating problem as not sure when & when it does not occur plus taking my car back to dealers after less than 2 weeks will be a ball ache considering i have waited 9 months for it not sure what to do as as i said is very sporadic & generally does not seem to affect the car apart from the embarrassing occasional noise :oops:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know someone who has this problem with their S1 along with someone who has had multiple RS cars that also suffer from the same problem.

I have only had it happen once on my car, sounded like it was coming from the front right, thankfully it hasn't happened again and so could have just been a stone trapped or something.

From what I have heard Audi doesn't seem too interested in the problem, but hopefully some of you get it sorted.

·
Registered
132 Posts
s1pete said:
Yep,same here,slow speed,quick touch of the brake and disappears,then returns!
Been in touch with dealer,they added to bring the car in, but haven't had time yet,
just hope it's not causing any damage, will be booking it in, when I am on holiday
w/c 13/04/15.
Car has been in today,while I waited,
The technician drove with me,and of course no squeal!
On the ramp it went,added that everything was fine,he sprayed brake cleaner
to all brake components, we will see!? :x

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
Mine hasn't done it recently. It seemed to be a 1000 mile only occurrence!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just had my S1 professionally valeted by H2O have to say although expensive they did a fab job!

Now since the valet the squealing seems to have disappeared so far so good maybe a good pressure wash of wheels removed the matter causing the problem fingers crossed give it a full week & report back .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hmm - mine came back briefly after 4 'quiet' weeks

Just very odd that Audi say they haven't received any reports from any S1 owners

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine has been doing it less recently, almost as if each washes fixes it bit by bit. Will keep checking it over time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
3500km on mine and this has just started, it also has just started getting cold here i wounder if it could be related?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is a strange one been nearly 10 days since its valet but its is still there albeit a lot less than its initial episode .

The biggest problem is getting it to do it if i get it booked in to dealers as we all know its sods law that they would check it out & would not be able to find a fault.

My only point is as been as there seems to be quite a few with this problem on our S1,s surely Audi should be very aware of this annoying fault by now !

·
Registered
403 Posts
Metalmicky said:
My only point is as been as there seems to be quite a few with this problem on our S1,s surely Audi should be very aware of this annoying fault by now !
Nope, they have only sold just under 500 S1's in the UK according to How Many Left and mine like a few others doesn't do it. I would imagine no way near enough for Audi to worry about yet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I took mine in to the dealer tomorrow two weeks ago and they had the car for 3 days. They updated about twice a day and after 2 days they still hadn't found the source of the squealing noise at the left rear area. They removed the suspension and did a ton of other things and nothing solved the problem. Then on the morning of the 3rd day they called me and said they found and fixed the issue. They mentioned it had something to do with the styrofoam box that holds the jack, but they didn't want to go into detail as to what exactly it was and I didn't want to push so I just left it as it was dead quiet.

However after about 3 days it started popping it's head out again. I opened the boot and lifted the floor and wiggled that styrofoam box and it seems that might be the issue of the squealing. Will check to get capture a video with my GoPro tomorrow, haven't had time, been crazy busy, but I'll check if I can find a fix.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hmm - weird - are they really saying that the jack styrofoam is making a sporadic noise? - why on earth would they not want to explain? Have to say that it does sound like BS to me

I suppose the best way to check if they are right would be to temporarily relocate the whole thing to the back seat for a while

1 - 20 of 25 Posts