Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been noticing louder booming or labouring sound coming from my 1.4 s-tronic in 6th and 7th gear this last 2 weeks.
Can some of you guys check your Revs for me at 40 mph.
My Revs seem very low indeed now at this speed in 7th gear.
My revs are just under 12 hundred at 40 MPH that sounds and feels very low and labouring now.
Cheers.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Car is worse today , it has got no power now, feels like the turbo is hardly working and gear change is all over the place, just booked it in for wednesday.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can't help but would take straight to Audi to be safe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good Lock! hope that is not a big thing, Keep us posted!!! I run mine yesterday at full throttle and it show grate response, Specially if I drive it in S (more revolutions and faster)!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I reved it up a bit at standstill which i do not do as a norm , but i thought i would have a listen with the hood up , and i could hear the turbo working,
Not sure what going on , but something is a miss, and has happened over a 2 to 3 week period.
This labouring in the top gears is terrible makes the car almost vibrate at 40 mph in 7th gear, 6th is nearly as bad.
You put your foot down and it feels flat till you push more and the box changes down,

Has anyone checked there revs at 40 mph in 7th yet please.mine reads just under 12 hundred revs.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Know the problem. See my entry of 21st July. Still no helpful replies.

1.4 TFSI S Tronic Upshift
by Fraser » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:52 pm

Living in the notoriously slow driving country of Norway, I find that the upshift, especially from 6th to 7th kicks in way too soon, leaving the engine grumbling unhappily at very low revs. Is there any way the shift settings can be raised by a couple of hundred revs?Fraser
A1F Newbee

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has yours got worse since you have had it mine changed about 3 weeks ago, and is very bad now.
Terrible to drive yesterday
Going into the dealers tomorrow, i guess they will hook it up to the diagnostic machine.
Not impressed with Audi cars at all
My car looks great and drives nice and smooth and quiet on a run, before these problems, but the noisy gearbox and rattles from the interior driving around town ruin it.
I think i should have stuck to japanese makes to be honest.
Feel like selling it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update on mine.
Took the car in on wednesday, it is a short run down the motorway to get there.
I was doing 60ish and thought i would try the power out, floored it without going into that last bit of kickdown , and nothing happened the gearbox did not change down at all , backed off brought it back to 60 mph again did the same floored it nothing again stayed in 7th, i thought good atleast the mechanic will know what i am trying to show him drove the car normal till i got to the dealers and waited for the mechanic to go out and test drive it with me, that was about 30 mins later. we drove the car around for about 30 mins and it performed as normal for the first time in 3 weeks on all sort of roads and speeds??????????????
So we took it back to the garage and he pluged it into the diagnostic machine all was normal
He said if it plays up again drive it straight round to them so they can olug it in again, which is fair enough.
When i left the garage i went for a 50 mile run in it motorway and A roads in was back to normal
If you floor it at 60mph it changes down to 4th.
Got it back home and opened the hood to have a look round, noticed that the heat sheild bolts over the turbo and around the turbo where loose, and then underneath the manifold to turbo joint one bolt was missing and the other bolt was hanging on by the skin of its teeth.the other 2 bolts where tight.
Rang the dealers up and booked it in they replaced and tightend bolts replaced and tighted all the heat sheilds around the manifold and turbo.
Said thsat we both could detect it blowing from anywhere.
Took the car back out for a run , still felt normal
Went out the weekend did 250mile was fine for about 150 mile then this slugish gear change started again when changing down, and the labouring sound is back and it changes into 7th at 38 mph feels horrible again.

I have also took some Revs verses Speed figures i would like to compare with you S-Tronic owners please.
mph = Revs = in 7th Gear.
40 = 1150
64 = 2000
96 = 3000

Cheers.

·
Registered
619 Posts
GPL I would insist that it needs to be fixed - you paid for your car, you want it to function without worrying if it will start juddering or stop working. You might expect this from a second hand french car... but not a brand new audi.

Also I would just say you are in a very small minority - I wouldn't write Audi off, I think you have just been handed a slightly less functional car

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need it to get really bad again before i take it in, but what i really need is these figures from the rest of you guys so i can compare them to mine please.
Cheers

·
Registered
921 Posts
I think you're looking for the wrong comparisons. The relationship between revs and road speed is fixed by the gear ratios. It won't vary from one 1.4 S-tronic to another (unless your gearbox has got the wrong cogs in it which seems a bit unlikely)
What causes labouring is being in too high a gear. As I've said before mine doesn't go into 7th below about 38-40 mph - can't even select 7th manually below that sort of speed either.
Think what you need to look at is at what speed yours changes into 7th and if its labouring, does manually dropping one or two gears allows it to pick up. It could be that your gearbox is getting wrong information from one of the sensors and that is causing it to change up too soon.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think without getting some figures from you guys i will need to go and have another test drive then, at the dealers.

Mine changes into 7th at that speed , but what revs are you guys seeing at 40 mph in 7th gear mine is only 1,150 RPM.
The inside of my car sounds terrible at that speed in 7th because the revs are to low and the engine is labouring
It went ok for about 300 mile now the problem is back again.

·
Registered
921 Posts
According to info from the web, the 7th gear ratio is 0.65 and the final drive ratio 3.43. Using these figures and assuming standard 215/40 R17 tyres, the theoretical speed at 1150 rpm is 36.5 mph, or at 40 mph the revs should be 1260
Given the accuracy of speedos, that equates pretty much with your experience.

It's also pretty much in line with my 2200rpm @ 70 in 7th

(Calculated 31.72 mph / 1000 rpm in 7th, measured 31.82 mph / 1000 rpm in 7th)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is better info thankyou,
i know it is only going to need a couple of hundred increase in revs to stop the labouring.
With this 7th gear being so long it does not take much of a differance for the engine to labour at 40 mph.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts