Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
xenon headlights...

I've just been for a drive to tescos in the courtesy car and ***OMG*** I've never seen in the dark so clearly!

I originally didn't get them as I saw them as a pretty cosmetic option which I couldn't justify throwing money at - but I've made a big mistake....!

Basically if you have the spare cash - get them!

out of interest - the going home lights on function is that standard on these lights? I don't think it has the light and rain sensor package..

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
taconite2 said:
xenon headlights...

I've just been for a drive to tescos in the courtesy car and ***OMG*** I've never seen in the dark so clearly!

I originally didn't get them as I saw them as a pretty cosmetic option which I couldn't justify throwing money at - but I've made a big mistake....!

Basically if you have the spare cash - get them!

out of interest - the going home lights on function is that standard on these lights? I don't think it has the light and rain sensor package..
Buy mine Taco!!! Haha ;)

·
Registered
921 Posts
With Xenons the 'going home' function uses the fog lights.
If your courtesy car has an 'Auto' position on the main lights switch then it has light sensor.

·
Registered
90 Posts
With standard lights the "going home function" also use's the fog lights

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chelmersteve said:
With Xenons the 'going home' function uses the fog lights.
If your courtesy car has an 'Auto' position on the main lights switch then it has light sensor.
It has the auto switch yes...which extra is this?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Its lights and rain sensors - it comes with the Xenons on some versions but with others its part of the Comfort Pack

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Weird there's no rain sensor on this one...

·
Registered
921 Posts
How can you tell?

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It doesn't change speed in the rain....

Where's the sensor?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mine will come with rain sensors :D I made sure of it.
Comes as part of the electronic climate control and the Xenon light package but not the Xenon plus headlights (on their own) so it depends what you order.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gadgetgirl said:
Mine will come with rain sensors :D I made sure of it.
Comes as part of the electronic climate control and the Xenon light package but not the Xenon plus headlights (on their own) so it depends what you order.
It was more the coming home light function I was after knowing which packs it's on :)

Rain sensor is lazy :p you were given arms/hands for a reason lol

·
Registered
921 Posts
Sensor is on screen side of rear view mirror mount,
Only changes speed when the wiper switch is in the 'intermittent' position and then it depends on how sensitive you have the setting. With rain sensors the little lever that sets the intermittent speed normally, becomes a sensitivity setting for the 'intelligent' wipers.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I had a play with this on the drive to work this morning, I'll look for the sensor...

Does it get affected by dirty windscreens etc?

·
Registered
350 Posts
You need the XE1 or XE2 Xenon light package which includes 8NG and 4GP (8NG/4GP is the light and rain sensors with coming home light function and also the sun band on the windscreen).

The electronic climate control also includes 8NG and 4GP.

But the PX4 Xenon headlights plus option doesn't include 8NG and 4GP.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The packages vary from version to version - different on Sport from S-Line, and different on Sport S-tronic from Sport Manual.

To be honest I don't leave my wipers in the 'auto' position for fear of insects or something setting them off dry and getting a scratched screen. Tend to just put them into 'auto' when its raining. Haven't noticed any problems with dirty windscreen affecting the sensor.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gadgetgirl said:
You need the XE1 or XE2 Xenon light package which includes 8NG and 4GP (8NG/4GP is the light and rain sensors with coming home light function and also the sun band on the windscreen).

Woo exactly what i was after thanks a million! :D

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chelmersteve said:
The packages vary from version to version - different on Sport from S-Line, and different on Sport S-tronic from Sport Manual.

To be honest I don't leave my wipers in the 'auto' position for fear of insects or something setting them off dry and getting a scratched screen. Tend to just put them into 'auto' when its raining. Haven't noticed any problems with dirty windscreen affecting the sensor.
I'll have a look at lunch I'm curious now. my friend had one on his car (not audi) and he said it could sometimes stop working if anything gets in front of it eg dirt

·
Registered
350 Posts
taconite2 said:
gadgetgirl said:

No problem... I'm quite clued up these days on optional extras...

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
gadgetgirl said:
taconite2 said:
gadgetgirl said:

No problem... I'm quite clued up these days on optional extras...
Was gonna say! If the current job doesn't work out join Audi :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts