Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so interested in the A1. I have been looking for a new car for ages, and the A1 seems the best in terms of style, residuals and quality.

I don't have much money to spend as I'm only 25 and am not exactly well-off, but I could probably just about swing a base level SE.

However, I have been into 3 dealerships in the past few days, and have been completely ignored in all of them. In one, I actually had to approach a salesman in order to ask for a brochure. I then attemped to enter into a conversation with him, in order to find out more, but he was completely not interested.

Another salesperson in another, just walked straight past me, not even a hello...and approached a couple who walked in after me. I mean, I have to say, have found their snooty attitude quite ridiculous.

I still want the car though. So...does anybody have any suggestions of a dealership in Scotland, who would be friendly and interested in my business?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Adam14 said:
I am so interested in the A1. I have been looking for a new car for ages, and the A1 seems the best in terms of style, residuals and quality.

I don't have much money to spend as I'm only 25 and am not exactly well-off, but I could probably just about swing a base level SE.

However, I have been into 3 dealerships in the past few days, and have been completely ignored in all of them. In one, I actually had to approach a salesman in order to ask for a brochure. I then attemped to enter into a conversation with him, in order to find out more, but he was completely not interested.

Another salesperson in another, just walked straight past me, not even a hello...and approached a couple who walked in after me. I mean, I have to say, have found their snooty attitude quite ridiculous.

I still want the car though. So...does anybody have any suggestions of a dealership in Scotland, who would be friendly and interested in my business?
We are almost similar in many ways then :) except the Audi dealer was extremely nice. I am from Northern Ireland, so can't exactly recommend anything for you. It probably comes down to certain dealers and people that work there.

Hope you get more help :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Carlisle Audi, just south of the border have always been good to me.

And the person who walked past you to see another customer, it is possible they were already known by the dealer. Many customers have a dealer from an earlier visit.

If you want service, try and phone the dealership beforehand, tell them what you want and when you walk in the door they already know your serious, maybe already have a test drive booked. Dont forget bring your driving licences, paper and plastic.

Good luck and have fun,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Depending on where in Scotland you are, we had no bother getting some assistance in Aberdeen despite both walking in looking our usual weekend scruffy selves and dribbling over all the expensive stuff like kids in a toy shop. It took a few minutes, as being the weekend it was relatively busy, but it was only about 10-15 minutes after walking in that we were being sent off in the 1.4 for a test drive.

I incorrectly initially suggested we wanted the SE (me getting my models confused, as we wanted the 1.4 which is only with the Sport afaik) and he warned that there was a very long waiting time, but there was no suggestion he wouldn't have been interested in taking our order if we'd wanted to go ahead.

Equally quick getting the order and finance processed. The only thing I was a little surprised by was the lack of any attempt to upsell additional extras, etc, but we were fairly clued up in advance about the spec (bar colour), so perhaps he just got the feeling we'd already made our minds up on that one.

They've also been great at keeping us updated at each stage (build date / build date brough forward / completed, awaiting shipping thus far). I've had to email them a couple of times about other things, and again the reply has always been quick and helpful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I'm 26, and get a similar level of service. Thing is, I work in Architecture and dress well, always try to be polite, but I have tattoos and piercings which usually means instant 'discrimination' when I visit the likes of Audi/BMW. Interestingly, I always get great service at Mini :)

The best thing I've found, while a little vindictive, is to shop elsewhere, and then if you ever get a callback from the 'snooty' ones, make it perfectly clear that you've just bought a car from another dealer franchise. I find they love that.

Having said that, Listers Audi Stratford were fantastic with me. Treated me just like anyone else.

One thing I will note however, is to remember the SE is a very basic car. Barely an Audi. I considered one too but realised it really is just the very cheapest way of buying into the Audi world. In reality you could get a far better equipped car for the money, just without the rings in the grille.

That margin does diminish somewhat as you go up the range, some of the higher priced models are really quite incredible but if you're stretching your budget even on the lowest spec, maybe try some other cars.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I found the same attitude at Southampton Audi so took my business to Basingstoke. However, that said it isn't just Audi that have this attitude. I had similar experiences with VW, BMW and Seat. Even at Basingstoke Audi I initially made an enquiry about a new A3. The sales guy I spoke to on the phone booked me in for a test drive. Then he left me a voicemail the day before the test drive saying that they couldn't get the model I wanted to test drive so he'd cancelled it! I wouldn't of minded test driving a different spec A3! I called him back and left a message but he never returned my call. So I went into the dealership a couple of weeks later and bought an A1 from his colleague.

Sign of the times in this country I think where service standards are concerned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Understand what that feels like matey. I went to buy an Audi A1 in Preston not far from where i live and the sales staff were rude. I then decided to drive 70 miles down the road to my hometown of Stoke where i got a totally different response.

·
Registered
574 Posts
youll find its not just you or your age ,me am an "oldie "but tend to run around in hoodies or baseball caps and jeans ive been to different dealers for various cars been to MG,DATSUN ,MAZDA,BMW (who were the worst)HONDA you name ive been there and a lot of them walk past me in fact i think they think im a tramp but my local Audi were wonderful i walked in the door had a quick look at few cars a very nice chap called Kevin asked if he could help me withing 20 mins i had done the deal ,the whole place is nice and friendly couldnt praise them enough tbh

·
Registered
45 Posts
Adam14 said:
So...does anybody have any suggestions of a dealership in Scotland, who would be friendly and interested in my business?
The closest dealer to me is Edinburgh Audi, so I sent them an e-mail about a week ago to check what engines/specs of demonstrators they had available. As I type this I've still not received a response.

So I sent an e-mail to Stirling Audi as they aren't too far away. I got a prompt response, arranged a test drive for the next day and have now ordered an A1. Salesman William was very helpful and didn't try to pull any fast ones like so many salepeople I've dealt with over the years. If you aren't too far from Stirling I'd recommend giving them a go.

Generally I've always found that dealers treat you a bit better if you arrange in advance to go in to test a car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow and I thought I was the only one who had experienced a poor dealer experience.

I am in West Yorkshire and went to 4 different dealers (same group-synter) and was amazed at how rude and uninterested the salespeople were. I thought maybe it was because I'm young but then I went to the last dealer (not local) I was prepared to endure and received good service and ordered my A1.

Word of warning though, I was so frustrated at one dealer I spoke to 3 different salespeople. Even after 3 salespeople at the dealers and getting nowhere the sales manager came out and literally had a go at me in front of the salespeople-excellent sales technique!

·
Registered
574 Posts
ABN1C said:
Adam14 said:
So...does anybody have any suggestions of a dealership in Scotland, who would be friendly and interested in my business?
The closest dealer to me is Edinburgh Audi, so I sent them an e-mail about a week ago to check what engines/specs of demonstrators they had available. As I type this I've still not received a response.

So I sent an e-mail to Stirling Audi as they aren't too far away. I got a prompt response, arranged a test drive for the next day and have now ordered an A1. Salesman William was very helpful and didn't try to pull any fast ones like so many salepeople I've dealt with over the years. If you aren't too far from Stirling I'd recommend giving them a go.

Generally I've always found that dealers treat you a bit better if you arrange in advance to go in to test a car.
yep sorry ment to say stirling Audi ask for Kevin tell him i sent you hes a nice guy

·
Registered
2 Posts
ABN1C said:
Adam14 said:

I can second that having just picked up my new A1 this morning.

I originally went to Edinburgh Audi, my nearest branch, didn't particularly warm to them or their service.

Went to Stirling Audi (which is the same group) and couldn't have been treated more differently.

The service and attitude of the staff was really good, not pushy at all, helpfully when required, and kept me in the know throughout.

I dealt with a salesman called Tom and can thoroughly recommend both him and Stirling Audi.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So that's three votes for Stirling Audi then! It's really good to see that all three people recommening Stirling have dealt with different salespeople and still had the same good experience.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The A1 was not top of my list but it was good service from Audi that made me decide on the A1.The alfa dealer was trying to force a silver Mito on my wife even after she told him she did not like silver cars,Seat dealer did not know about the offers advertised on the website.I deal with a lot of salesmen and reps with my job but I would not pay the majority of car salesmen with washers! But the staff at Cardiff Audi were in a different league.I only bought a 1.4 sport
and traded in my daughters old Fiesta but never looked down on.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Audi really need to buck up their ideas on this one. With the A1 they are reaching out to the likes of clients they would not have dreamed pitching cars at in the 1990s. I ordered my A1 from my third dealer. A guy I had spoken to at Hull Audi previously about a used TT never returned my calls, then I had Dulwich Audi answer my test drive request of a 1.4T A3 they had on used stock with a Sportback 1.6, so I went to West London (to try the 1.4T). Even then I was promised a call back on a Saturday morning after the sales team's meeting, and didn't get one, so just made the journey and went in myself.

P1sses me off no end.

PS: Anyone missing the Audi dealers of old should try Dulwich Audi. It's a tiny dealership in the village. My Dad bought a used S4 saloon from guy called Jed in February. Nice little place.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yh i had the same problem here, although I cant answer your question and recommend a dealer in Scotland. I would also like to express my feelings on how the dealers treat us the buyers. I originally was going to buy from Stoke Audi (where we had our A3 from), but the sales person wasn't the least interested in a part ex or the Audi A1 at all. In the bought from Nottingham Audi which is part of the Sytner group, they were a little more interested, but the sales person who dealt with me was very pushy and very snobby. Not recommending either here. I do also agree with BMW dealerships being absolutely dissgraceful, my parents were after a 1 Series and the dealership were so ignorant they walked away and bought and A3 instead!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
After being ignored, yell loud enough for everyone to hear you "IS ANYONE GOING TO ACKNOWLEDGE MY PRESENCE, OR DO I HAVE TO BUY AN AUDI FROM ANOTHER DEALERSHIP?" Then go to the Managing Director office and tell him what happened and tell him you will not buy an Audi from his dealership. Also let him know you will be calling Audi Corporate offices to let them know how dissatisfied your are with their dealership and.......make sure you do it. Make an appointment with another dealership and tell them "I wish to test drive and purchase an Audi A1, would my money be welcomed there?" Tell them you're not coming there to be messed about and you have little tolerance for bad service. Remember your the one who is in charge. You set the tone for the service you receive. ;)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts