Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met up today with a friend who is seriously thinking about getting an A1, partly based on my glowing review.

He asked what I would change about mine with hindsight or what should definitely be considered when ordering. There's not much I would change since I'm really happy with mine and I did spec it quite highly but my list was:

1. Get electronic climate control. My biggest error - I really don't like the cheaper-looking manual controls

2. Armrest is a bone of contention in my household. Whilst it (and the storage space) is useful, it does make the handbrake more difficult to use

3. Folding mirrors - not a huge issue but I think I should have opted for them

4. Technology package - I took this but now wonder if I could have been a bit smarter by taking the components I actually needed

This was definitely not me being negative, just trying to pass some on some things to consider.

Any thoughts? Might also help the prospective buyers browsing the forum.

·
Registered
274 Posts
A lot of people seem to regret (or ordered before audi would let them) not ordering the Xenon/LED's - and seem to have problems trying to rectify.

·
Registered
442 Posts
1. Get electronic climate control. My biggest error - I really don't like the cheaper-looking manual controls
Must admit thought these made the interior , so made sure these were towards the top of my list

2. Armrest is a bone of contention in my household. Whilst it (and the storage space) is useful, it does make the handbrake more difficult to use
Didnt appeal to me.

Just hope they fold on locking!!

4. Technology package - I took this but now wonder if I could have been a bit smarter by taking the components I actually needed
Didnt appeal to me.

Sometime regret not ordering the Audi sound system.

This was definitely not me being negative, just trying to pass some on some things to consider.

Any thoughts? Might also help the prospective buyers browsing the forum.[/quote]

·
Registered
41 Posts
A1BCFC said:

Not to be too smug :oops: but we've just ordered our car and opted for the climate control and folding mirrors and haven't bothered with the armrest.

I agree that the electronic climate control does look nicer - the dealer actually had a daytona grey s-line in stock but it didn't have the ecc so we opted to wait for one to be built. Just a bit upset that the mirrors don't automatically fold on locking though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
jbrazier said:
A1BCFC said:

Not to be too smug :oops: but we've just ordered our car and opted for the climate control and folding mirrors and haven't bothered with the armrest.

I agree that the electronic climate control does look nicer - the dealer actually had a daytona grey s-line in stock but it didn't have the ecc so we opted to wait for one to be built. Just a bit upset that the mirrors don't automatically fold on locking though.
:shock:
Cant see the point of not having automatic folding mirriors. Sometimes you just want/need to jump out the car and not worry about pressing more buttons.
I will have the Climate control and armrest when built.
By the way mine was ordered last Sunday and promised for the end of March. Is that a record.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
daytonasliner said:
Sometime regret not ordering the Audi sound system.
Good point. I would upgrade to Audi or Bose system as well but the budget didn't stretch...!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Only things I wouldn't have had are the Luggage / Stowage packs and perhaps the DAB radio.
When I ordered I was constained by what Audi would let me have and analogue radio was expected to be phased out sooner than is the case now. My starting point today would be a Sport - much more flexibility to get the car I want although there are still some constraints about what you can order with what.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am happy with my Spec, if i were to order again I would add the heated seats option to mine and thats about it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Been there before,Had a new Boxster in 03 with 11K of extras ang was really peed off that we didnt spend an extra £300 on folding mirrors!
I would rather take the pain of finding the extra at the time of ordering than regretting it after delivery.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes I specked this - it was a definate for me when ordering.

Like this. My Dad doesn't like them. Usful for keys/ phone/ fuel receipts etc.

Ordered these. Shouldn't have bothered. I've only folded them once, to check they worked. They don't fold on locking... read the five or six page thread on this somewhere else!

Not sure exactly what this has as I got all the packages bar luggage.

From my point of view I wouldn't have minded DAB radio too, but I went for the mirror option instead of this.

My main area of dissatisfaction with this car is the ordering and waiting process. I didn't really get a call every three weeks from the dealer as agreed at time of ordering and although I realise full leather was deleted from after the first PDF version of the brochure, this not being raised by my dealer during the six month wait led me to believe that I WOULD be getting the full leather I ordered. I was so disappointed by the oversight of this that the collection of the car sh4t on the whole experience. When I decided not to reject the car and sit in it, I didn't have my "promised" full tank either.

Don't even get me started on the wheels....

·
Registered
67 Posts
A few days after ordering mine i spoke to the dealer to add the Audi sound system and cruise control. They told me that once the order had been placed you can't add options. How stupid especially as the car was still three weeks off being built. The cruise apparently can be retro fitted as all of the wiring is there, but the sound system is a no no !
I can only presume the standard sound system in a Sport sound ok without the upgrade.

·
Registered
921 Posts
You can add options up to the point where build is scheduled - I altered my spec without difficulty. Cruise control comes as part of the Comfort Pack which saves you money on buying all the bits individually.
I think the standard sound system is fine (its the same on all versions) but others disagree, especially if you're heavily into your music. I did consider the Audi Sound System but my dealer talked me out of it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi

I feel slightly disappointed that I don't have Xenons/LED's but I still don't regret not ordering them. If I had, I would be regretting paying such a lot for a small car!

Luckily for me, my car has been re-ordered so I got the chance to re-spec the replacement one with the benefit of having the ownership experience. The only thing I have added is the heated seats. The very cold weather made me regret not having those.

I didn't set out to buy a car costing over £15k and went I first started looking in September, I hadn't heard of the A1. As it is, I have gone over that having fallen in love with the concept of owning one. Any more money and it just would have been disproportionate cost for the small amount of time I spend behind the wheel.

I don't regret pushing the boat out to get the A1 - not for one minute! Love it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The only thing I regret is not having a proper "winter pack" like VW offers. I wish ours had heated mirrors, but I have no need of folding mirrors. I also wish it had heated washer jets. Other than this, our spec is just fine, even if quite basic.

Perhaps the best bit of unexpected kit on the car is the SD card player. This (along with the screen) transforms the hi fi into something really useable (goodbye CD players and tapes and iPod connections). Frankly the standard hi fi is so good I cannot imagine why anyone would upgrade it.

The one "must have" option is the climate control, as others have noted. It's brilliant.

·
Registered
208 Posts
What's the attraction of folding door mirrors? I can't see the point, unless it's for people who don't have off street parking and live on busy roads? Is this why people like them?

·
Registered
127 Posts
3noisynippersandacat said:
What's the attraction of folding door mirrors? I can't see the point, unless it's for people who don't have off street parking and live on busy roads? Is this why people like them?
I'm still waiting for my car to be delivered only 2 weeks to go now. I didn't order elec folding mirrors on my sline but I gather they will still fold manually by hand ???? Or are they fixed and non manually folding. My a3 just fold in by pushing them, is this not the case with the A1

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree with Chemersteve about the luggage and storage packs not being worth the money but do like my DAB radio and would have this at the top of any want list.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.