Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long have people owned brand new cars before getting them damaged?

I picked up my A1 on Saturday (1st brand new car I've ever owned) and within 4 hours somebody had already opened their door onto mine :shock:

They left a nice chip, about an inch long, on my door handle. Luckily they didn't touch the door. It was done by an Audi A4, also in grey. I hate it when people have no respect for other people's property!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Luckily mine wasn't damaged but I was sitting in the car in sandbach services about a month after I bought it and a scruffy old Volvo came and parked next to me. The back door flies open and *crack* into my car. If that happens when I'm sitting in the car I'd hate to think what could happen if I wasn't..

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
I'm anal about this... I'm a parking space spotter, i'm like a health & safety parking officer! Haha

The family get annoyed with me parking at the back of supermarket car parks or looking for an extra large family parking space.

The worse culprits i have found are the pensioners (No offense RobbieA, hehe ;) ) but they just swing open their doors at max length.

I was sat in my A1 parked well away from the next car, an old lady opened her door full swing and if i was parked any closer, my A1 would of had a nice door crease! :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The annoying thing was that I parked miles from the entrance with no cars around. I got back to my car and somebody had parked either side of me!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
hydeyho said:
The annoying thing was that I parked miles from the entrance with no cars around. I got back to my car and somebody had parked either side of me!
Like a bloody magnet :lol:

I wouldn't mind if when they park next to you are obviously just as anal about their car and you know thay've been careful, but often tit's a pile of crap :eek:

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Lucky mine didn't get damaged but I parked up at tesco once and came back to find an A4, Q7 and R8 (all in white) all parked in order next to mine :-D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully, I should be having the handle resprayed on Wednesday.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Try 3 days, caved in Bonnet....1000 Euros lighter..

Roof Avalanche of Ice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jae said:
Try 3 days, caved in Bonnet....1000 Euros lighter..

Roof Avalanche of Ice.
Suddenly, a nick on my door handle doesn't seem so bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My A1 has already been damaged and I've not even collected it yet (dent and scratch to front bumper) 

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mojito said:
I'm anal about this... I'm a parking space spotter, i'm like a parking health & safety officer! Haha

The family get annoyed with me parking at the back of supermarket car parks or looking for an extra large family parking space.

The worse culprits i have found are the pensioners (No offense RobbieA, hehe ;) ) but they just swing open their doors at max length.

I was sat in my A1 parked well away from the next car, an old lady opened her door full swing and if i was parked any closer, my A1 would of had a nice door crease! :(
haha im very much the same, but done you find that you will always come back NO MATTER WHERE YOU PARK and some one will have parked next to you... and usually its an L reg fiesta rust bucket!

ive got a small dent on the back of mine where a polish guy rammed me in a supermarket not looking... i didnt bother going through insurance, nor getting it fixed for that matter as i just cant be bothered for a 5pence piece sized dent... the mileage i do, usually the car picks up a lot more than a small dent over 3 years!

·
Registered
30 Posts
On the 10th day the door edge was chipped, on the 20th day the windscreen was smashed and roof panel was damaged. The car was off the road for nearly 4 weeks . Came back 5 days ago and the door edge has been chipped again! None of this was done by me. It was done by the valet parking staff where I live. Needless to say the matter is now being delt by the management....... :cool: :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Raj, looks like you have had some bad luck there! :(

Jolly, yeah... It's just a matter of time before something gets damaged...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mojito said:
I'm anal about this... I'm a parking space spotter, i'm like a health & safety parking officer! Haha

No offense taken Mojito and I have to agree with you about old codgers. How often have I parked out of the way with no other car in sight, only to find myself boxed in on both sides when I return and no other car for miles around. I am obsessive about taking care when I open a car door but I guess for a lot of people, old or young, a car is just transport and the don't give a Castlemain xxxx

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Yeah, i was just messing with you Robbie, i know you are cool... You have a TMC box fitted! It's just random people of all ages... Coffin dodgers, kids from hell and chavs etc ;)

We just have to minimise the risk of parking near these people, but it will eventually no doubt happen. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, Someone hit my garage door, dented that. I hadn't noticed the damage to the door until l tried to open the strangly stiff door and it flew off the side rails and bounced onto my car! Luckily, it only damaged the housing on the back windscreen wiper and scratched my rear screen which l will get fixed next time l pass the Audi garage. Phew! Could of been a lot worse.. :eek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is what I was left with:

I tried a bit of SRP which tidied up a bit but it was never going to be perfect as it appears to be down to the primer.

Luckily it's already booked in to get the handle resprayed tomorrow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
hydeyho said:
How long have people owned brand new cars before getting them damaged?

I picked up my A1 on Saturday (1st brand new car I've ever owned) and within 4 hours somebody had already opened their door onto mine :shock:

They left a nice chip, about an inch long, on my door handle. Luckily they didn't touch the door. It was done by an Audi A4, also in grey. I hate it when people have no respect for other people's property!
Hi all
I'm about to order (if I can get a half decent deal) Is there an option or an after sales, for some sort of Side Protection Strips to avoid door dents
My Scirocco was only a month old before it got done in a car park!

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
The only thing you can do is be careful where you park, but there are no guarantee it wont happen as you know.

I will only park if there is a massive space (child space) yeah i know its for children, but most of the time our daughter is with us.

Over the last few months i have had near misses and doors opened on my car and friends cars and thats whilst i have been sat in it.

Luckily no damage! But be very aware of your surroundings and park out of the way and as safe as possible.

If it happens and you see it, make sure you get their insurance details and claim.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts