Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A1 185 is in for a check as I found it had a strange rattling noise from the front of the car which sounded mechanical.

Only occurs at slow speeds, below 15 MPH, I can manage to get it to reproduce when slowly touching the accelerator to keep the speed up and then letting it slow down again.

The strange thing is my dealer has supplied my a courtesy car while they investigate. And this does exactly the same thing. The courtesy car is a 1.4 122 Sline Stronic.

Anybody else with an stronic gear box notice the same? I am convinced its the gear box rather than anything else and that would make sense from the type of noise.

Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yep, mine does that particularly crawling through traffic, if you shift into Manual mode it's even worse particularly going down the gears from 3, 2, 1.

Going up the gears isnt too bad, I find it's the downshifts at low speeds.

My car is going in on Wednesday next week to have that looked at along with the Start/Stop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1.4 TSFI 122 hp s-tronic and have been hearing that noise since new. I have told the dealer and other people with DSG transmissions, and everyone agrees it is normal, I even heard it on a VW GLI.
I really can not understand how the sound of marbles in the transmission is normal, but it hasn't broken down and it hasn't gotten worse.
There are even quite a bit of videos on youtube about it (search dsg noise).
Now, can anyone explain why it makes that noise??? For now my remedy has just been to close the windows and use the extremely good airconditioning of my A1, and hope it either is normal or it explodes and my warranty takes care of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yup, got it on mine too. Tend to get it after I have had a decent run and driving back into slow-speed restricted roads near home, or sometimes 1st thing in the morning.

As mentioned, it is a trait of the DSG/S-Tronic gearbox across the VAG range.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The new DSG gearboxes suck so much...
I miss those 6speed oiled DSG.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have driven plenty of cars with DSG boxes and find them great, however the potential for failure and associated cost of repair (you just know it will be after the warranty runs out) scare the crap out of me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I popped to my dealer today to have a chat and get an update.

They have hooked my car up to the computer and they have passed the information to Audi UK at Milton Keynes who have apparantly passed it to Audi in Germany. As my dealer would rather wait until they have recieved an official reply on the gearbox they would prefer I keep the courtesy A1 (even with the same or similar problem) car and I leave my car with them.

So the good news is my dealer is looking after me and I have a different A1 to play with. Think I will add some photos of the new A1, Shiraz 1.4 S Line Stronic. Have to say not a bad engine. Certainly not as wow as the 185, but more than eneough to put a smile on my face, and still very nice engine and turbo noise.

I'll provide an update on the Gearbox when Audi have confirmed the fault or issue with me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My car is still with the dealer so no news yet, they called me today to say they've done a download from my car and submitted to Audi so I await further news.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hm1975 said:
My car is still with the dealer so no news yet, they called me today to say they've done a download from my car and submitted to Audi so I await further news.
Sounds like the exact thing my dealer told me, I spoke to them yesterday, and its still at the dealership.

Wonder if I should ask them to enable the dial swoosh the next time the hook up their computer to my car :D

·
Registered
537 Posts
My friend has the new Seat ibiza Cupra which has the same gearbox, and that rattles but not quite as bad , there was a software update that some had and that helped quieten down the noise.

I have spoken to my dealer about this , so i am waiting for a software update in the near future, fingers crossed.

Keep us updated if anyone gets this sorted please,

·
Registered
179 Posts
I spoke to my dealer this afternoon, they did a download yesterday and submitted the data to Audi UK since then Audi UK have contacted my dealer and requested more data as they are working with the factory to resolve the issue.

The dealer has agreed there is a problem and it should not rattle that bad.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a call from my dealer today, and I now have my car back.

After what seems like allot of work and a good deal of communication between my dealer and the main Audi offices the conclusion is the gear box is supposed to be like that.

Its nice I have been looked after, I now know the noise isnt a problem, the car got a really good clean and I got some free Audi mints from the dealer with a feedback card.

hm1975, it will be interesting to know what your dealer tells you. But I have thought it as the normal noise from the gearbox since the courtesy car I had dod the same

·
Registered
179 Posts
My dealer called me on Friday and told me I cannot have my car back, they are waiting on more information from Audi so I wont know anything until at least Monday.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Latest information today from my Audi Centre, they've been asked to remove the Mechatronic control module from the gearbox to investigate for metal particles in the oil.

I had one of these Mechatronic modules go on a Golf R32 a couple of years ago, I am hoping this is the cause of the problem so I can hopefully get back into my A1.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any new information on the noises coming from the transmission? My first service is coming up and don't know if I should make a big issue of them and risk being a without my car a couple of weeks, or just let it go and accept them as normal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Reading this article with some interest as I am in the process of getting an A1 but cant decide between a 1.6tdi and a 1.4 s tronic.

I have to say I am slightly concerned by this noise issue as my 2011 TT is an stronic and I have never heard even the slightest sound as described.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts