Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling people with S-line 1.4 TFSI with S-Tronic gearbox.

Im finding my gearbox a bit jerky on take up of drive and coming to a slow stop, also edging forward in traffic - seems a bit unsettled, anyone else experiencing similar? Reason i ask is I drove a sport with the same engine/gearbox and it seemed way smoother

·
Registered
921 Posts
Mine is very smooth - no jerkiness whatever either pulling away or just sauntering in traffic

·
Registered
218 Posts
:D Thirded, smooth as smooth :D

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Don't think there is any difference between Sport and S-line running gear

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ant1979 said:
Are you sure it is not you? How long have you had your A1?
Pretty sure it's not me, although not too sure what you imply there?

I've had it a couple of months now

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its safe to say I am driving it correctly, and didnt suddnely change driving style when in the sport

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,
I've the same problem. After 10000 miles I'm getting used, and the noise doesn't have increased. Anyway in 18000m revision I want them to check it. Such a good combination this engine and s-tronic...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm hoping there will be a software update for this soon, my box just seems too jurky, not like the others I've driven

·
Registered
354 Posts
Gear changes are ok, a little noticable in sport with it changes at 7k, but I think thats more about the amount of power being lost in the gear change.

The only issue I have is the noise at low speed, but that another thread and apparantly "normal", even if it does sound like clanking metal

·
Registered
921 Posts
The S-tronic box doesn't have a torque converter so i don't understand the reference to 'power loss in the changes'

The low speed noises are a different issue and are not normal - a few people have had them corrected - it involved, if I remember correctly, a replacement 'mechatronic unit.' A search on here would confirm it.

My box is very smooth, though unlike others on here it doesn't change up into 7th until around 40mph. Indeed I can't even get it into 7th manually below that sort of speed.

·
Registered
354 Posts
By power loss I mean the power loss from the engine to the wheels as it changes gear and drops from 7k to 5k then bangs the engine back on while my foot is still flat to the floor. I guess I mean revs dropping rather than power lost.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chelmersteve said:
The low speed noises are a different issue and are not normal - a few people have had them corrected - it involved, if I remember correctly, a replacement 'mechatronic unit.' A search on here would confirm it.
Agreed, thats not normal, we actually have one in at the moment for a new gearbox because of a similar noise. I think theres thought to be too much backlash

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just bought an A1 1.4 TFSI, with 15,000 miles on the clock, from an Audi dealer.
I love the car but the engine is noisier on acceleration than my wifes Polo which has the same engine, albeit without a turbo attached to it.
Although I do not have a problem with the sound and Audi assure me that this is quite normal I would appreciate an unbiased opinion from someone please just in case this isn't what I should be hearing from the engine bay!
Thank you
Gordon

·
Registered
921 Posts
The Polo 1.4 and the A1 1.4 are not the same engine and will sound different. Apart from anything else, one has a cam belt and the other cam chains.
The A1 exhaust note gets more 'sporty' under acceleration too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts