Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone..

I think i might be doing something wrong....
Following the instructions in the manual, i see you have to undo the 2 small silver torx bolts, and the one larger torx bolt lower down. However the unit still doesnt appear to want to move. Am i missing something? There is another torx bolt next to the uppermost smaller one.. does that need releasing as well??....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Inverted said:
Hi everyone..

I think i might be doing something wrong....
Following the instructions in the manual, i see you have to undo the 2 small silver torx bolts, and the one larger torx bolt lower down. However the unit still doesnt appear to want to move. Am i missing something? There is another torx bolt next to the uppermost smaller one.. does that need releasing as well??....
No just the three bolts mentioned.
I did find you need to turn them more then 6 turns though.
I also found that the bottom bolt retainer seems to be slightly springy and had to push down on it slightly in order for the light to be pulled out.

Sorry for the "untechie" speak but I am not sure of the terms :D

ps when putting it back in I found it best to ensure the light was placed on all "runners" and pushed & tightened the bottom bolt 1st to ensure a flush fit.

Are you replaceing the DRL's? It so I hope you have small hands :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Yes I had the same problem and found I needed to depress toe lower rear bracket once I had loosened off the 3 bolts. Also as Eddie said, you need to undo the two top bolts until they lift clear of the headlamp unit, a lot more than 6 turns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone..
yup once i figured to depress the lip under the larger bolt, it was easy peasy....

Tried the LED DRL's looked great when on, however, being mr picky i didnt like the look when they were switched off. A shame the LED's are made of a yellow plastic :(

As such.. anyone wanting a pair of LED DRLs to change over or just for a spare pair?? Cost £20.. but willing to sell for £10 plus postage.. :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
What do you mean you didn't like the look of them when they were off? Do you mean that you can see the colour of the bulb housing or something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
Am sure someone will nab them up :)

Post a advert in the for sale section.

Did they trigger any blown bulbs errors just out of curiosity?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
yup the housing has a number of LED units. The clear resin used to seal them is a bright yellow. Just stands out a bit when switched off.

Ah didnt realise we had a for sale section... and no, no warnings for the 15mins they were plugged in :)
They are the same bulbs Robbie A has..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
My son in law messes with cars and is having trouble with LED bulbs,they keep blowing or start flashing are there a lot of poor quality ones around or is it the heat from the headlamp that is causing the problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the first time i've "dabbled" in LEDs... i've heard there are a lot of cheapo chinese etc manufacturers out there, so you have to choose wisely. Some LEDs wont work, or work incorrectly due to not having the correct current. So they require in line resistors etc, which can make it all a bit tricky. The ones i bought work fine thanks to RobbieA's recommendations without the resistors. I just didnt like them in their cold state...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Dear Mr Picky :D
You must be looking very very closely to see those.
Sorry you don't like them, but I guess if they are not what you want, it's fair enough.

I also have the same one's (same as RobbieA) and think they look fantastic.
I have not had any problems with them so far and have covered just over 2000 miles now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
I've had a bad day, so forgive me for this but.............................

Why buy bulbs for Daytime Running Lights and then say you don't like them when they are off!!! Surely the point is to have them on all the time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Inverted said:
This is the first time i've "dabbled" in LEDs... i've heard there are a lot of cheapo chinese etc manufacturers out there, so you have to choose wisely. Some LEDs wont work, or work incorrectly due to not having the correct current. So they require in line resistors etc, which can make it all a bit tricky. The ones i bought work fine thanks to RobbieA's recommendations without the resistors. I just didnt like them in their cold state...
So what will you buy now?
Keep us updated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I told you I was picky! Yes it's when the car is parked up. The bulbs in comparison to the tungsten are quite large, and the yellow diodes stand out a mile (to me) if they were White/clear they'd be fine, but alas....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
I just hope the next one's you get don't start flashing warnings at you as some of them do when using the start stop function.
I would hang on to them for a while until you find a suitable replacement (if ever)

If you do find clear one's which look as good and perform well, please keep us updated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Just to update everyone, my LED's are working fine with no errors over the past month and they still dim when headlights go on. It is true that there are yellow areas on them but I can't say its worried me and they are top quality Japanese units.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
RobbieA said:
Just to update everyone, my LED's are working fine with no errors over the past month and they still dim when headlights go on. It is true that there are yellow areas on them but I can't say its worried me and they are top quality Japanese units.
I have already had a few people ask me where to get the LEDs and I always reference RobbieA's link as they are simply the best out there at the minute.
Here are a couple of photos showing lights on, off and "static"

If you look very very closely At the 1st photo you can just see the yellow areas mentioned.
They don't bother me at all.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
RobbieA said:
Just to update everyone, my LED's are working fine with no errors over the past month and they still dim when headlights go on. It is true that there are yellow areas on them but I can't say its worried me and they are top quality Japanese units.
As it's your find Robbie, perhaps you would like to repost the link for those who want to buy them?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top