Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was desperate to get the tow bar bike attachment for my A1- I finally gave up after about 300 hours with the poor salesman as costs were ridiculous. Looked a really practical option but not worth in excess of £1000. I've gone for the roof bars and two bike racks. About £400, so much cheaper until i drop my bike on the roof........

·
Registered
47 Posts
prop1A1 said:
I use the Saris Bones, comes in a 2 or 3 bike version, fits fine to my A1, looks good too :)
Hi would love too see a picture :)
As I'm thinking of getting something like that. How much did it cost you?

·
Registered
77 Posts
prop1A1 said:
Here's a pic, sorry it took a while, but with the weather I haven't had much need to use it :)

Personally I was not keen on these. I have an Sline and the spoiler is not flat, was not keen on the strain being pulled over the spoiler causing possible damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
Is that a rack made for the A1, or is it a universal one?
Is there any webshops i can buy it from? I'm from Norway so it's difficult to just drop by a local UK dealer..

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's a universal bike rack and it's made by Saris, I think they're a US company. You should be able to find a web retailer who can supply them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How do you plug your lighting board in ?
Please dont tell me you dont use one !
I prefer the roof bars and the bike racks on top, at least you can still access the boot without having to remove the bikes first.
I friend of mine was done for having a bike rack on the back without a lighting board. Be careful out there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
By law you must have a light board - this type obscures your reg plate.
The roof bars are the best option - except for kiddies bikes.

Carrie.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have gone for the tow bar bike rack. I have to order the:

Tow bar prep
Luggage pack (needed for tow bar prep
Detachable tow bar (fitted at the dealer)
Bike Rack (dealer to order as an accessory)
2 hours labour

All told about £1300 was the quoted price. I do hope it works.

Best wishes, Stephen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also have gone for the tow bar option. My towbar is completely hidden which is great when its not in use and well worth the expense. I have a Thule bike rack bought from Tesco direct. I hate the type which fix on the back of the car as shown on previous posts because its too easy to damage the car and fiddly to fix in place but it is a cheap option and you still need electrics so that your lights are not obscured,

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes tow bar the way to go !

Surprised it hasn't become a standard feature on cars eg like aircon or electric windows, so useful. Over £1000 is a crazy price.

Paul

·
Registered
67 Posts
There does not seem to be any perfect solution for the car and bicycles situation. All the options have disadavantages and most are expensive.

The Corsa has an interesting idea:

but I wanted an Audi A1. Does the towbar rack work well?

Best wishes, Stephen.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
What about bike bags? We used to do this on our old car on my girlfriend and I's bikes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
£1300 just to transport bikes is a quite frankly a stupid amount of money. You could by an old estate car with 12 months MOT for that and still have change left to run it for a year (fold the seats, chuck the bikes in the back and don't worry about mud etc). Don't get me wrong towbar mounts are one of the best solutions, it's just that they aren't cost effective if all you are going to use it for is bike transport. Great if you also have a trailer etc. They also have a major disadvantage in that if you are unlucky enough to be rear ended it's good bye bikes :cry:

The type shown in the photo are a big no no in my opinion. The tailgate is nither approved for nor is designed to be a load carrying structure. Would you trust the rear windscreen to take the load of two/three bikes? I wouldn't. They scratch the hell out of the paintwork. Bikes move and damage each other and the car. You can't get into the boot with the bikes on. Even if you lock the bikes to the rack all a thief has to do is cut the straps and take the lot. You've got problems with finding a light board and they again leave the bikes vunerable to a rear ender.

In my opinion roof bars and a good quality cycle carrier such as a Thule 591 gives the best compromise between cost and useability. The only real down side is carpark hight restrictors. If you can't remember you've got several grands worth of bikes on the roof and drive into one then really you deserve all you get!

The Corsa rack is a very interesting concept. My Mum works at a Vauxhall garage and I've asked her to let me know if they get one in with it fitted so I can have a gander. So far they've yet to see one fitted so it's unlikley to see them becoming popular and other manufacturers offering similar which is a shame.

I've been a cyclist for 20 odd years, driving for 15 odd of those so I've used just about every type of bike rack system going. I've even had a bike rack on a MX-5! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts