Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering about this piece of kit, Ive read the previous post about this and people are saying its too much of a hassle and is a gimmick.

But I just wanted to find out a couple of things:
As Far As Im Aware To Unlock the car you have the gizmo in your pocket and just pull the car handle and to lock it you hold it against the handle and push a button (Correct me if I'm wrong)

But How would you go about unlocking ALL the doors of the car including the boot?

Would you also get a standard key? If not how many of them Advanced Keys do you get?

Oh and what happens in the unlikely event the cars battery dies...then its game over right?

·
Registered
921 Posts
You don't have to hold the fob against the handle to lock the car - having it in your pocket is fine.
There's a button on the inside of the driver's door to unlock the other door and boot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it is worth mentioning that the Sunday Times has highlighted a potential security flaw with keyless entry systems. I won't go into detail, but they managed to start a car using quite basic electronic components.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Saw that, and also saw that the US is likely to make keyless entry a requirement on all new cars.

Audi commented on the Sunday Times article that the method used would not work on their cars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anybody know how close to the car you have to be for the system to work?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the advanced key, and I'm very satisfied.
Never have any problems locking or unlocking the car. Only thing I have to remember is to bring my jacket when I go out, since I just let the key stay hidden inside one of my pockets.

The key has a perfect range. I would say around 0.5-1 meter from the driver's door. I can unlock the car without any problems, but my friend could not when I took one step back.

The key also has a remote control for locking/unlocking and opening the boot. From the MMI, you can decide if you want to only open the driver's door, or the passenger door as well when unlocking. You can also decide if you want to be able to control the windows from the remote control.

The advanced key is not extra keys for your car. Either you have advanced keys, or you got the regular keys.

·
Registered
68 Posts
to answer a few more of the questions,

You get 2 advanced keys unlike the standard where you get one remote key, and a basic spare (i think!)
if the key battery dies, you can still unlock the door in the usual way, and you can start the engine by holding the key to a specific point under the steering wheel, this allows you to drive the car at least until you can get the battery replaced!

Hope this helps, I am very happy with getting this and would definitely recommend it

·
Registered
921 Posts
In UK you get 2 remote keys with the standard set up (i.e. non keyless)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have the standard keys and you get 2 flip keys as standard :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
eriks said:
I have the advanced key, and I'm very satisfied.
Never have any problems locking or unlocking the car. Only thing I have to remember is to bring my jacket when I go out, since I just let the key stay hidden inside one of my pockets.

The key has a perfect range. I would say around 0.5-1 meter from the driver's door. I can unlock the car without any problems, but my friend could not when I took one step back.

The key also has a remote control for locking/unlocking and opening the boot. From the MMI, you can decide if you want to only open the driver's door, or the passenger door as well when unlocking. You can also decide if you want to be able to control the windows from the remote control.

The advanced key is not extra keys for your car. Either you have advanced keys, or you got the regular keys.
Can you show us some pictures of the advanced key? :D

And does anybody know if it's possible to install it afterwards?
I guess I regret not having it :?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Amirkhan2621 said:
Im confused....Is this the advanced key?

I thought you could check the cars 'vital stats' on the key fob too?
A dealership (particularly the service dept) can access certain data by "reading" the key.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Amirkhan2621 said:
No Audi can check the details from the key using our Key Reader, the Advanced key is identical to the standard key, there is just a different chip within the key itself, and if anyone wants to know, there really is no way that can be retro fitted

·
Registered
166 Posts
madant_uk said:
Amirkhan2621 said:
No Audi can check the details from the key using our Key Reader, the Advanced key is identical to the standard key, there is just a different chip within the key itself, and if anyone wants to know, there really is no way that can be retro fitted
No way at all? That's too bad, I think I want it :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts