Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question , What you guys and girls using on your alloys to clean and protect them with when you was your cars.

Ive never really used a alloy wheeler cleaner , but thought with having the car new etc be good to look after the alloys. I did know if some cleaners would like build up a coating on them so when dirt etc gets on them , the coating would stop the dirt etc getting stuck on the alloy and hence wash off easier?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,

I was investigating just the same for my car which is to be delivered in May.

I looked at a site called 'Ultimatefinish' and they have loads of products (some at amazing prices) and some not so. They do have stuff specifically for wheels which as you say puts a protective coat on the wheel....I will be giving it a try.

Good luck.

Ian

·
Registered
274 Posts
In theory the wheels have a protective coat on them - all audi alloys are painted silver and then covered in a clear-coat lacquer - but in practice brake dust and other muck will stick to them. What there is to protect them more I don't know - there is probably something, but what I don't know. Maybe something as simple as the Rain-X product might be better than nothing (makes water run off windows).

·
Registered
921 Posts
If you go for Supaguard that includes a coating for the alloys plus you get cleaner and stuff to re-coat them after you've used the cleaner. Personally I just make sure I wash them thoroughly and regularly - never yet used an alloy wheel cleaner.

·
Registered
142 Posts
One thing id be careful of is spraying cleaner/wax straight onto the alloys as it will get onto your brake discs and could reduce braking performance,i always spray onto a cloth first,although i do admit i very rarley protect them,just give them a good clean when washing the car..

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone , yes I agree I think it will be best to give them a good clean when I was the car . Just thought id ask cus the first time I will of had new alloys.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have bought some Poorboys Wheel Sealant to apply to my wheels after washing, gives a protective layer to the alloys and enables you just sponge off brake dust and road grime with ease. Costs £11.95 for a small pot plus you will need a applicator pad which costs about £1.25.
If you want a cleaner to wash your wheels with i would recommend Bilberry Wheel Cleaner. You can buy in 1 Litre and 5 Litre Bottles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts