Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for german a1 forums (since they already have their hands on the beasts) and they had a few threads about problems - and whilst chrome/google translate does a good job, my understanding is probably not 100% - only read A1talk.de so far.

Someone moaned about the washer jets - someone suggested sticking a pin in the holes

Someone moaned about the Xenon/LED's getting a lot of condensation inside when cold - lots of people said this is a well known problem on all models (?!!) - but that it goes after a few miles when warm - and that the xeonon/led's dont mind as much about having water around as normal bulbs would.

Someone on about the windscreen wipers making a horrible juddery noise on the return sweep (+ you tube video) - seems to have gone away after a while, presumed to have been some factory sealant (not sure whether it was on the windscreen or the wiper rubber).

Someone else didnt get a warning triangle.

Someone didnt get the chrome exhaust pipes - and forwarned, someone else checked when he went to collect and his was missing too. This is on the "Ambition" model/spec.

Others moaning about dents in the top of the dashboard (under the black plastic).

People with extra bits of felt stuck on metal parts around the boot opening (i.e. extra protection - maybe should have been removed at the factory).

The seatbelt fitting on the B pillar is not height adjustable (some short people got strangled)

Some rattling in a door - the cable between the handle and the lock was loose and moving about - fixed at workshop, handle now stiffer.

The usual things about the centre console being to one side and the passenger getting sore legs.

Some criticism of the mechanism for the Sat-Nav monitor probably not going to last very long with daily pop-up/downs.

Some mention of iPhone 3g problems with calls dropping - not sure if it was native bluetooth or on a cradle for stronger signal from the aerial.

No mention of painting faults.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Good to see that there's nothing too major on that list :)

MDPlatts said:
Someone moaned about the Xenon/LED's getting a lot of condensation inside when cold - lots of people said this is a well known problem on all models (?!!) - but that it goes after a few miles when warm - and that the xeonon/led's dont mind as much about having water around as normal bulbs would.
I get condensation in the xenons on the lupo - it goes after the headlight has been on for a few minutes and only happens in extreme temperatures. I'd only be concerned if it was building up and not evaporating when the lights are on.

MDPlatts said:
Someone on about the windscreen wipers making a horrible juddery noise on the return sweep (+ you tube video) - seems to have gone away after a while, presumed to have been some factory sealant (not sure whether it was on the windscreen or the wiper rubber).
Just out of interest (as its something I've not read up on), are they aero wipers?

MDPlatts said:
The seatbelt fitting on the B pillar is not height adjustable (some short people got strangled)
Darn it... Hope this isn't a problem for me as I'm a shorty! The seatbelts in my Mum's polo are height adjustable, but even on the lowest setting, it's still too high for me. :(

Some mention of iPhone 3g problems with calls dropping - not sure if it was native bluetooth or on a cradle for stronger signal from the aerial.
Probably the iPhone's fault I'd imagine - would be interested to know if a 3GS or 4 does it too.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Yup, fixed height...

IMG_0040.jpg

Have to say that I didnt need to adjust it, which i normally do automatically.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Re the 3G, I think that may be something to do with iOS 4 - it didnt work with the factory Golf GTi or the Audi Q5 until the latest update. Something to do with the Bluetooth Stack. I couldnt test that on this car, as it didnt have BT.

The wipers ARE Aeros. Have to say, I didnt notice any issue.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I was hoping this car would have good build quality.
I hope they can update and sort these issues out soon.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Some interesting feedback here...

I can help ease discomfort on a couple of things, the rest will just have to be seen when the cars arrive...

Someone moaned about the washer jets - someone suggested sticking a pin in the holes
This should never be an issue on any Audi. This should be checked and calibrated as part of the PDI (Pre-delivery inspection) which is carried out by the Audi dealer. All of the centres that I have dealt with have very high standards and so I am confident that nobody will have any problems with this (famous last words).

In an ideal world there should not be any condensation in the Xenons, but sadly this is often a characteristic of Bi-Xenon headlights caused by the intense heat that is created by the powerful xenon bulbs. While not every car will suffer from this, it is possible and seen on everything from a humble Ford Focus, to a £270,000 Roller. If your A1 (when it turns up) has condensation, show your dealer (it may not be visible until specific conditions are met). This small amount of condensation (and it should be a small amount!) should quickly clear up when headlights are on.

Agreed, this should not have got past the PDI check.

Someone else didnt get a warning triangle.
UK dealers are very strict on these, so you should be perfectly fine. These are checked on PDI and if missing, they are replaced before delivery.

Someone didnt get the chrome exhaust pipes - and forwarned, someone else checked when he went to collect and his was missing too. This is on the "Ambition" model/spec.
Sorry I cannot help with this one as this is a quirky German spec problem.

Others moaning about dents in the top of the dashboard (under the black plastic).
I haven't heard about any problems, once again if any body has any problems, do speak to your dealer.

People with extra bits of felt stuck on metal parts around the boot opening (i.e. extra protection - maybe should have been removed at the factory).
These should be removed by the dealer at PDI. UK dealers have a long checklist in their PDI books. You should be given this book when collecting your car. Part of this process is removing all of the protective film and coverings (quite a bit!). These pads are in place while the vehicle is in transit.

That is quite funny! I haven't thought about that. I suppose that because the seat height is adjustable (moving you closer to the pulley) this probably eliminates the need for an adjustable pulley, but good point.

Some criticism of the mechanism for the Sat-Nav monitor probably not going to last very long with daily pop-up/downs.
Having played around with oneof these, I don't really have any concerns. These are tested at the design stages, opened and closed thousands of times. You may remember me talking about the speaker grills on the viration test cars. The first cars go through hell, so that they can be sure the rest will be fine - hense their imminent destruction!

What is it about the iPhone? Even the blackberry seems to pretty much 100% compatible with cars these days...

Let's keep an eye on these guys, if problems come up then we'll flag it, but personally having spent A LOT of time with the A1, I am 100% happy with the build quality. Only time will tell on some things, but for a totally new car, in a new segment to only have a few teething problems and no recalls (to date), Audi should be very proud.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If nothing else the belgians can learn how to build them on the rest of europe for their mistakes and by the time the end of year comes around they should be leaving the factory in A1-shape perfection (pun intended).

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is quite funny! I haven't thought about that. I suppose that because the seat height is adjustable (moving you closer to the pulley) this probably eliminates the need for an adjustable pulley, but good point.
Some very useful feedback Chris - thanks for this. However, I have to take issue with your comment that having no seatbelt height adjustment is "quite funny" and that a workaround might be to adjust the seat height!! I find it staggering that a car which boasts 'prestige' status in it's class doesn't include height adjustable seatbelt pulleys! They are becoming a generic feature on many cars, including some very lowly models in the 'small car' category (my wife's humble Peugeot 207 included) and, in my opinion, this is an abysmal oversight by the A1 designers. :eek:

·
Registered
160 Posts
No problem, it is my own personal veiw. Probably came across different than intended. What I mean is that I have spent so much time with this car and never noticed!

I assure you that there would have been no oversight. Audi spends more on haptic research (testing the way things look and feel) than any other manufacturer. The fact that the pulley height is not adjustable will be for a reason. I personally do not know why, but it could be anything from safety (no car manufacturer has yet developed a seatbelt pre-tensioner that can adjust for the size of the person), or just not being necessary (with seat height adjustment).

My money would be on a bit of both. Airbags are only effective if the person is a certain position away and a certain height. Modern Audis have sensors that tell it where the seats are positioned (check out the A5 cab seatbelt gadget!) and have sensors in the seat base that measure the weight of the occupant and use that to judge whether it is a child or adult (and therefore height).

One thing I would be certain off is that it is not an oversight and not to cut corners. The amount of money Audi invested in getting the extra lights in the boot right (so hazards and sidelights can be seen when the boot is open), when they are not required and not normally provided. This model is so important for Audi that they will leave nothing to chance.

I'll look into why the A1 has no pulley adjustment, but this might be a tricky one as this would have been decided a long time ago.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was here I was reading the various types of defects - these forums being for the interior, body and engine/electrics respectively

http://www.a1talk.de/audi-a1-maengel/

I don't know about other browsers - I've only used Google Chrome since the day it was launched - but it automatically offers to translate pages into english when you view them (and you can click on a link to make it always translate unprompted in future for each language).

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm with those who think not having b pillar adjustable belt height is a negative.
The purpose of adjusting the seat height for me is to get the best driving position for my arms and legs. It would be dissapointing to get that just right and then find your belt uncomfortable. :(
Interesting that Top Gear didn't moan about that, haha. 3 stars... pah!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I know what your saying and that would be very frustrating, but I am sure that it will not happen.

I know the lengths they go to to get everything right and this would have been looked at. Only time will tell.

If the occupant is tall then there won't be a problem and if the occupant is short then chances are they will have to raise their seats to get arms and body in the correct position - this no doubt puts them in a position where the belt is right.

I am certainly not saying that not having pulley adjustment is right, but I am 100% sure that this will be for a reason and most likely it is down to positioning making it unnecessary.

This item seems to be the most controversial and so I will take it upon myself to look into this.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
921 Posts
Lets get real. Is this such an issue? How many drivers / passengers actually adjust the height of their seat belt mount? Taking it further, how many drivers / passengers actually realise that they are adjustable? I'm talking wider world here, not just this forum.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Right guys, I've done some investigation and while nobody seems to be able to confirm 100% why the belt pulley is fixed, everybody asked, (including the person who put together the A1 training) seems to think that is down to a combination of safety and determined lack of need (as above).

It turns out that lots of modern cars don't have height adjustment on the belt. Most of these are premium as seat-height adjustment is needed to give the full range. Examples include BMW 3 series, the Audi A5 range and even the new flagship the Audi A8! Also, most cars that are, or are intended to eventually become convertible, also tend to lack the adjustment.

There is certainly nothing we can do to change this and to be honest, I'm with Steve and I really don't think it will be needed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was told by my dealer that there was no need for this because there is only one correct height for your head (to which the seat belt mount is leveled), whether you are tall or short. In other words, what should go up and down depending on who's seated is the seat and not the head.

So I guess If the seat belt is hurting your neck, the problem must be that you haven't found the correct seat height for you yet :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great chaps, glad you, from your great height have concluded it is not needed. On the big cars to which you are comparing, including the sports e.g. TT, short people are not going to be buying them (can't see over the dashboard/ and or touch the pedals, and certainly not at the same time) - so whether the seat belt is fixed is the least of the problems.
But the A1 has got enough flexibility in the seat for shorter people to consider it. Stupid to have ruled out the height adjustment. It nearly stopped me buying, but in the end have got one, but have to use a child height adjuster on it. This is to my mind a disgrace.
And no chaps, don't say short people should not be driving Audis.
And no, don't say there is no demand: that is the excuse of people who have not bothered to check which groups of people are being excluded.
I am not a dwarf, just a woman, middle aged, shortish for my generation, but not abnormally so. Up to Audi whether they want to keep people like me as a customer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
kravi
It is not only about seat height, it is about shoulder height and width. I have tried every height and no there is not one that works, assuming I want to be able to get my legs between the wheel and seat (and yes the wheel is adjustable too.....)

·
Registered
4 Posts
to chelmersteve - how many adjust height? people who are not standard height, which these days seems to be about 5' 11 or more.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice to see an old thread resurrected - now people can add their local problems - which seem to be squeaks, rattles, paint-fleck, wrong spoilers, wrong specs and probably one or two others I've forgotten. Hopefully the belgians are on top of their game this week - when mine "should" be being built.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.