Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got a idea what sort of price it will be to have new 17" ( sline model ) tyre fitted?

setting up my online little accounts on my bank account. Gonna set up one to put abit of money a side for tyre/ repairs etc :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Around £100 fitted at Audi, i would say... I would use them, as i had tyres fitted cheaper at a local tyre fitters on my last car and they damaged the wheels... They used a crowbar to get the tyres off :(

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers Mojito , I have worries that one day when having a tyre fitted and balanced the buggers!! wacking a weight on the face side of the alloy. ( ive had that before ) I used to keep a look out thought when some places did deals on tyre prices. Unfort at the mo ive got two brand new tyres sitting in the spare room for old saxo ha ha

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Ebay the Saxo tyres and put the cash to your spare tyre fund! Haha ;)

I know Audi will be 30-40 dearer than those garages... But, at least you know there will not be a monkey with a crowbar wedging your old tyre off the rim! :shock:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I know , I keep saying I must put them on there

·
Registered
67 Posts
It all depends on the tyre, you could buy cheap crap for £50 a corner or stick to the PS3's (my car came with PS3's anyway?) at £120 a corner. If Audi are selling them at £100 then that's a bargain, doubtful though.

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Yes, around a £100 so a close guess to £120 :D

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Yes, i think so... Maybe more! Thats why they are called 'Stealers' :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think the A1 needs PS2/3s or other top of the range tyres, it seems like overkill on an small car like the A1. I always put PS3s or Conti's on my M3, but we're talking about a car with 330 bhp which was regularly driven hard. I'm looking forward to downsizing to my A1, week 18 build (built 2 weeks ago and just waiting for it to come to the UK now), and know I won't be putting top of range tyres on a car that won't be able to make use of them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
MrMurphy said:
, week 18 build (built 2 weeks ago and just waiting for it to come to the UK now)
Mine was week 18 built as well was told yesterday it is making its way to the UK. I thought week 18 was begining of May? I am not complaining I just can't wait anymore... ;). Where about is your dealer? Could you please keep me posted when you taking delivery?

·
Registered
179 Posts
richieshore said:
It all depends on the tyre, you could buy cheap crap for £50 a corner or stick to the PS3's (my car came with PS3's anyway?) at £120 a corner. If Audi are selling them at £100 then that's a bargain, doubtful though.
Sorry what are PS3's? Some kind of tyre?

·
Registered
67 Posts
crosbydavid91 said:
richieshore said:
Yes, Michellin PS3's, they're the standard tyre fitted on the A1 from the factory, well they were standard on mine so I'm assuming they are on all?

·
Registered
62 Posts
MrMurphy said:
I don't think the A1 needs PS2/3s or other top of the range tyres, it seems like overkill on an small car like the A1. I always put PS3s or Conti's on my M3, but we're talking about a car with 330 bhp which was regularly driven hard. I'm looking forward to downsizing to my A1, week 18 build (built 2 weeks ago and just waiting for it to come to the UK now), and know I won't be putting top of range tyres on a car that won't be able to make use of them.
Is it overkill though? At the end of the day, regardless of how you drive or how powerful your car is, the only parts of that car actually come into contact with the road are the tyres. I've always adhered to the mantra that you buy as good as you can when it comes to tyres. You also tend to get better wear - buy cheap, buy twice, as they say.

Incidentally, it's PS2s we have on our Accord. We get these done at our local Costco, around £90 a corner inc. fitting. I would expect the slightly larger A1s to be around £110.

PF.xx

·
Registered
16 Posts
geoxis said:
MrMurphy said:
, week 18 build (built 2 weeks ago and just waiting for it to come to the UK now)
Mine was week 18 built as well was told yesterday it is making its way to the UK. I thought week 18 was begining of May? I am not complaining I just can't wait anymore... ;). Where about is your dealer? Could you please keep me posted when you taking delivery?
Inchape Audi in Stockport (near Manchester). They said wk 18 was last week in April, and think they'll have it ready for collection week 3 or 4 in May. I'll post when I pick it up with a load of gratuitous pics of course!

·
Registered
16 Posts
purplefeet said:
MrMurphy said:
Is it overkill though? At the end of the day, regardless of how you drive or how powerful your car is, the only parts of that car actually come into contact with the road are the tyres. I've always adhered to the mantra that you buy as good as you can when it comes to tyres. You also tend to get better wear - buy cheap, buy twice, as they say.

Incidentally, it's PS2s we have on our Accord. We get these done at our local Costco, around £90 a corner inc. fitting. I would expect the slightly larger A1s to be around £110.

PF.xx
I agree with your points, to a degree, but different tyres have different comfort, grip and wear characteristics. On high performance cars the extra grip you get with softer compound tyres is often preferred, but you do sacrifice life of the tyre. PS3s would typically last for 9000/10000 miles.

I don't think the standard A1's will be able to driven to a point where the tyre grip will be an issue (not including top A1 which seems to have a bit more welly to it!), so whilst avoiding the cheap and nasty tyres, I'll be going for mid-range comfort and endurance tyres, rather than soft high performance ones which I wouldn't benefit from.

It's only my opinion of course :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
The tryes dont seem too expensive, but thats relative to the £210 a corner I pay for my A5s tyres (255/35)

I know my A1 when it arrives should have 225/35 on 18 alloys

Also what size alloys are people basing there prices on? Looking around at prices the 225/35 are not as cheap as your prices.

·
Registered
17 Posts
richieshore said:
crosbydavid91 said:
richieshore said:
Yes, Michellin PS3's, they're the standard tyre fitted on the A1 from the factory, well they were standard on mine so I'm assuming they are on all?
mmm i wish they came on michelin - in Holland they come on Conti sportcontact 3 ..not my choice !!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.