Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Having suffered loads of pollen, dust etc over the past few week's lovely weather in generous coatings on my A1 I am after a bit of help. The dirt is meaning I need to do even more of a careful pre-wash before cleaning. Would anyone recommend a pressure washer? I was thinking of spending around £80 and getting one that would do a good job on the car and around the garden etc. What would be too powerful? Too feeble? I certainly don't want to damage the paintwork.
All advice gratefully received!
Thanks

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Karcher :) had one for years and its never gone wrong...

they usually supply several adaptors one for the car one for the pavements..

·
Registered
305 Posts
sg107 said:
Hi all.
Having suffered loads of pollen, dust etc over the past few week's lovely weather in generous coatings on my A1 I am after a bit of help. The dirt is meaning I need to do even more of a careful pre-wash before cleaning. Would anyone recommend a pressure washer? I was thinking of spending around £80 and getting one that would do a good job on the car and around the garden etc. What would be too powerful? Too feeble? I certainly don't want to damage the paintwork.
Thanks
no no no no no no no

pressure washers are a massive mistake... at work they use them to clean the company cars... after 6 months we had 2 brand new passats rusting and a mondeo... they are just too powerful.

once every while wouldnt hurt but dont be buying one for a regular once a month car clean... they cause all sorts of problems.

just use a hose, bucket and sponge... you can never go wrong!

·
Registered
305 Posts
btw im so anti power washer because i used to use one the whole time when cleaning my car, until one day i sprayed a motorway chip on the bonnet, and because of the immense power, it took about a 2p piece sized flake of paint straight off the bonnet... theres just no need for that amount of pressure when cleaning your car!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pressure washers are fine in my opinion.

I have a karcher one also and does the job fine, if your not too close to the paintwork. I also got a karcher foam attatchment which i spray on and leave for 5 mins and then spray off before cleaning, just gets rid off all the grime before going over with your mitt :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
jollyretard said:
sponge... you can never go wrong!
no no no no no no no, not a sponge please, lambswool or microfibre mitt

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
sg107 said:
Hi all.
Thanks
I do like something to shift as much of the crud as possible before actually washing, snow foam is a nice idea and good fun too :D

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-a ... d_371.html

You will however also need a pressure washer of your choice, I've had two, one the make of which I cant remember but it lasted about 2 years then the pump gave up, I bought a Karcher and so far it's still going strong after 10 years or more.

Just remember they are pressure adjustable ;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
i just dont understand whats wrong with a hose? is everyone that lazy these days??

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
jollyretard said:
i just dont understand whats wrong with a hose? is everyone that lazy these days??
Strange comment as it takes more effort to get the pressure washer as well as the hose :?

·
Registered
51 Posts
triplefan said:
I do like something to shift as much of the crud as possible before actually washing, snow foam is a nice idea and good fun too :D
How long do you leave the foam on for and how much liquid do you need per wash?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pressure ones can be to powerfull.

However, to me the ones you get at garages etc seem to have a low amount of pressure that seems fine enough for the car

Its the big brush things that scare me !!

·
Registered
305 Posts
triplefan said:
jollyretard said:
Strange comment as it takes more effort to get the pressure washer as well as the hose :?
i wasnt talking about the prep... why use a pressure washer instead of a hose?

hose - will never damage your car
pressure washer - possibility of damaging your car

so why?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
JPosh said:
triplefan said:
How long do you leave the foam on for and how much liquid do you need per wash?
Generally somewhere around 5 mins, and how much liquid depends on the size of car you are washing and which product you are using ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Cheers Triplefan. I'm trying to justify buying pressure washer and foam does look fun, but will probably stick with the low tech hose and elbow grease method - the garage is already full of stuff that's only been used once :(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yh definitely get yourself a pressure washer, miles better than a hose, It doesnt damage the car unless your using a concete cleaning tool or a petrol or diesel pressure washer. Also like triple says sponges are total no no, get yourself a meguairs Lambswhool wash mit fantastic and if your car is black like mine it will help stop swirls!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
And not forgetting the 2 bucket system to wash your car!!

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
people you are aware with pressure washers you don't use the pavement attachment (which has a single high pressure directed stream!)

the car wash attachment produces a wider mist which won't cause damage providing its used properly!....

used mine for years with no rust/flakes/probs what so ever...

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree with taconite2, make sure you use the correct attachment.

But I also dont take it right up to the paint and also keep the keep it moving rather than concentrating on any part to long.

I have heard tails of the power washers blasting of the coatings on plastic like the hub covers on the wheels and also pushing water under rubber seals around windows when used to aggressively.

Its like many things, used wisely its a good tool, used badly and it will really mess things up. Thats why I would never use a polishing machine, apparently good results are amazing, bad diy results not so good.

Although I have to say, I bought a new spray gun from wilkinsons

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/spray-guns ... hBdw%3D%3D

And I am actually surprised with the jet power, no where near a power washer, but pretty good to rinse the car and shift most of the dirt before the wash

·
Registered
38 Posts
I defiantly recommend a pressure washer 100%, would not wash without , helps get rid of dust and other surface stuffs prior to wash. Obviously don't spray right next to surface or concentrate on one place but there's nothing worse than scraping a sponge over a car when the dirt has not being removed prior, otherwise you are going to be left with a road map of swirls and scratches on your nice lovely car.

So Snow foam is a big yes, then wash with a meguiars or other type of sheep's fur mitt, always wash in straight lines and use a two bucket method.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.