Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone managed to get a playlist to work?

I've exported an iTunes playlist as an M3U file, and the car will read it off the SD, but goes through each track in turn and declares it damaged.

If you read the M3U file off the SD card into Notepad, then you can see that it points to each file as C:\Users\[your username]\Music\iTunes.....

Short of going through the playlist one by one, and editing all the track locations.... Anyone have any better ideas? :?

·
Registered
151 Posts
My music works fine in the car, on an SD card - but not as a playlist. I think I tried that to begin with and found that I had to create a folder on the SD card first and then save the playlist into that - not directly onto the card. Then, I found I didn't really want my music as a playlist after all.

I just copied and pasted my iTunes music folders from my PC, onto the card, from within Windows explorer (not using iTunes). I've kept the folder structure as it was on my PC e.g. by Artist and then Album. I did download a programme called Media Monkey which I used to embed the artwork into each album folder - this is because iTunes puts the artwork separately and so it is tricky to get it on the SD card. All my tracks are in MP3 format as that seemed to work in the A1, whereas the AAC format didn't work (well, not for me anyway).

I've got the car's audio player set to shuffle my music tracks - so I just leave it like that for endless variety. If a track comes up that i'm not in the mood for, I just press the speaker control and say 'next track' to skip it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats pretty much what I've done. My tracks are all in the "iTunes folders layout". I was just trying to make it play playlists. I hadn't thought of creating a new directory with the playlist contents in again :oops:

·
Registered
811 Posts
lostnortherner said:
If you read the M3U file off the SD card into Notepad, then you can see that it points to each file as C:\Users\[your username]\Music\iTunes.....

Short of going through the playlist one by one, and editing all the track locations.... Anyone have any better ideas? :?
It isn't going to find the files at C:\Users !!! ;)

Open the playlist in a text editor and do a "Find" and "Replace" then select "Replace All" - if you have Word it will do this as will text editors such as Textpad.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I realised that ;)

I just didn't/couldn't think of a way of editing the file without spending hours of boredom!

I've changed the first couple of references, and there's no change.

Opted for bunging duplicates of the files in their own folder now. Sod it! :lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
My SD card works well, loaded Rihanna ablum on it then bought some new tunes from Amazon which went on to the card, they installed after Rihanna - all songs work fine, but when i put shuffel on, it plays a song and then Rihannas California King then another song and then ... yep you guessed it Rihannas California King, and keep going on like that ... now I like Rihanna but I'm thinking my car likes this song the best

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have used winamp to create a playlist on my SD card and it works like a charm.

Steps:

• Copy all music to SD card (Winapp will do this too)[/*]
  • With the SD card in your computer and winapp started expand devices on the left menu[/*]
  • Right click on the SD card device and create new playlist[/*]
  • Right click on the artists etc from the SD card library and select send to playlist[/*]
  • Once the SD card is back in the car you can browse to it in the folder structure. It gets created in the root folder[/*]

I avoid the horror that is iTunes and try and keep all my music in mp3 format that way all the different media player will play them fine. Another tool i have found useful is mp3tag http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts