Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm loving it :D

Here is my story, i hope it may be of use to someone.

Last Friday, i went in to my local Audi garage for a new tyre, i came out having signed to buy an A1!

Sittting relaxing watching Sky News, the salesman that had sold me my A3 Cabriolet 2 years previous saw me and came over for a chat to see how i was doing. I explained i was in for a tyre, we got chatting and i told him of my intention that i was currently looking to downsize to reduce my monthly spends and how much money i was tying up in a car. I fessed up that i was actually looking at something 'like a Fiesta' but my local garage for this 'type of car' had not called me back despite my initial visit, interest and me chasing them up the following week 6 weeks previous... He asked if i could spare some time of which i was glad to, and as i read the brochure he worked up some figures which were very agreeable. As it happens, he had pretty much the car i would have specced, on site. After a look around my response was 'how soon can you have me in it, my tax is up at the end of the month' :-D

Less than 7 days later, i'm now in it and have had it for about 9 hours (half of which i sat looking at it from my office window.)

So, i've downsized from an A3 Cab 2.0TDI Sport with quite a few extra's to the A1 1.4TFSI Sport 6 speed. Compared to the A3 the spec is very basic but to be honest already i'm not missing the A3. The only extra on my A1 is the bi coloured alloys (and it has been debadged.)

After the initial excitement (and price) in speccing my A3 out with the leather, heated seats, arm rest, iPod, Bluetooth and folding mirrors i have to say ok - i had it for 2 years and it was fun but my priorities have changed now. In replacing the A3, i wasn't fussed about forking out for it all again as the novelty did wear off (though the price didn't.) Bluetooth was a must on the A1 for the phone but that was all really (though i'll see in the winter with the seats!!! Maybe it's a trade off also with cold early morning leather and the few minutes for it to warm up Vs the not so cold fabric?) My hobby required me to get some large speakers in my A3 once a month of which i had to drop the roof to get them on the back seat, how i avoided the rain for the past 2 years i'll never know, but the space issue was really becoming impractical, i needed a hatchback.

My first impressions. I'll be the first to admit for the past 6 days i've been wondering if i was doing the right thing and even for the first few moments driving off today from the garage as i remembered there was a difference between the drive of a petrol and a diesel, i was still thinking 'what have i done.' Once i got my head around the concept of the downsize in spec and price that's where the fun started. It's so much fun to drive, like a go kart! I had not test driven the A1 at all. I've done some varied driving this evening and tbh i'm not really noticing the shift from 2.0 TDI to 1.4 TFSI which was a concern. It's very nippy under 30mph and over that i'm not really noticing much difference, i will see as the week progresses especially on the hill climbs. As i sat admiring an A4 Cab today in the showroom i also thought about the softop i was giving up, though looking back it took a lot for me to actually take the roof down, i was not the type to drop it at every opportunity so i also reasoned that one out.

I'm this evening sat looking at the options for how to get my music going. The iPod dock was handy in the A3 especially as it charged the iPod but i only really used to play the available 5 playlists i had made so i think i'm going to go the SD card route in the A1 (i have an iPhone but then i'm going to have to buy a car charger for it - A handful of SD cards and i will have my whole to hand Ipod) I did have the bluetooth going this evening to play my iPhone and i also like that you can sync more than one phone (i had my work mobile synced for calls and my iPhone for the music)

I like that i have a rear windscreen wiper again and the visibility is much better in the A1. I've lost an arm rest - so what, and my mirrors don't fold in anymore - well i never used to bother! I've got money back in my pocket, a new fun car to drive and i've retained my audi badge.

To be fair, i have to keep my review balanced so hear goes with my ground shaking niggles...

I have seen this elsewhere on the forum so no need to get on it here, but why oh why did Audi only give you the date option on the dash display when you set the computer to show your speed... I really hope they may fix this with some kind of update, we'll see. I did find a sort of half way solution where if you quickly press the mileage reset button it flicks to the date and time for a second (press again to reset) Either that or maybe i can invest in a watch or stick on LED clock...

Scraping the bottom to point out what else i didn't like, oh yeah, you get finger marks too easy on the pop up display!!! :)

So, i appreciate my review is very much first impressions and i will be back to update as the week goes on.

I'm guessing i'm not allowed to say on here but if anyone between the Midlands and North West is debating buying an Audi, i would gladly PM you where i got mine from and who the salesman was (Admins let me know what i may and may not say by which method) I have nothing but praise for the dealership, the salesman and the interractions i had with the various other members of the whole team. I see so many businesses these days where they do not work together as a team and really can't be bothered (hey i could have something 'like a Fiesta' parked on my drive at the moment) but this one does. From reception, to salesman, to service and the mechanics walking round, a simple 'can you go and get me this or do that' command to someone is not greeted with a pulled face but an 'of course' attitude.

I really hope i'm feeling so positive this time next week once i've had more driving time but tbh i don't see any other option after today and my last 2 years with Audi.

Looking forward to finding my way around the site, be back soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wow! Talk about impulse buying!

Glad you've been pleased with your new purchase; I'm sure that pleasure will only grow.

Welcome to the forum, but I do have to say, you've missed the most important piece of information of all...what colour?!

PF.xx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I'd have had a choice I'd have had the basic black or would have been tempted to pay for red. The one he had in was black so I was happy (and without any roof trim as that was not my cup of tea) The thing that was the icing on the cake was it had been debadged on the back :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts