Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, it's not that difficult but still people feel the need to drive like complete tools in this weather.

So much so, I got the bus to work this morning. No problems with driving in the snow, I just don't trust other road users to drive competently!

(I also didn't fancy a 2 hour drive home from work tonight!)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not to mention white-van drivers who pull out of side roads in front of you - after all, its not like its (usualy) their van.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm still amazed by how many people don't bother indicating, especially when it's snowy/icy out - I've seen at least 3 near misses on roundabouts this last few days as a result of people not indicating that they are turning right and other people almost pulling out in front of them! Madness.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've got to stop getting wound up by the idiots, there's just too many of them on the road.
I have to say though, I didn't agree with that survey result someone else posted on this forum. BMW drivers do rarely indicate but in my experience they aren't as agressive as Audi drivers who seem eager to get aquainted with my rear bumper. Hopefully we can all reduce that stat though right? ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
karenm said:
Stick an L plate on your car and they are even worse, and Mr BMW... well what can I say....
well they are being very kind in letting others use their private roads don't you know - give em a break.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In all honesty most people on the road don't know/or care how to drive at all let alone in adverse weather conditions.

It seems to me that they treat a car as an extension of their home.......Get the heating on, music turned up and the sweets and crisps out.

I have even seen someone with a mug of coffee and toast on a plate on the passenger seat.

The standard of driving is truly awful in this country, but then of course as a nation we don't teach people to drive only to pass a test and most do nothing to improve their skills afterwards, so perhaps we shouldn't expect anything more.

As I said "don't know/don't care.

Ian

·
Registered
142 Posts
RichardD said:
I've got to stop getting wound up by the idiots, there's just too many of them on the road.
I have to say though, I didn't agree with that survey result someone else posted on this forum. BMW drivers do rarely indicate but in my experience they aren't as agressive as Audi drivers who seem eager to get aquainted with my rear bumper. Hopefully we can all reduce that stat though right? ;)
I heard from a good source that all BMW cars are to be recalled by next april 2011,

why ?.

Well there going to place a sticker on the dashboard with the wording > { YOUR INDICATORS ARE HERE } :lol: :lol:

And before someone slates me...i agree its the driver not the vehicle...
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
17 Posts
A1June2011 said:
In all honesty most people on the road don't know/or care how to drive at all let alone in adverse weather conditions.

It seems to me that they treat a car as an extension of their home.......Get the heating on, music turned up and the sweets and crisps out.

I have even seen someone with a mug of coffee and toast on a plate on the passenger seat.

The standard of driving is truly awful in this country, but then of course as a nation we don't teach people to drive only to pass a test and most do nothing to improve their skills afterwards, so perhaps we shouldn't expect anything more.

As I said "don't know/don't care.

Ian
As a driving instructor i take issue with your comment about teaching to pass a test and not to drive.That simply is not true,my learner drivers are taught to drive properly and responsibly,not just to pass a test,what they do after they pass is beyond my control therefore i do agree with your comment about the standard of driving.The way that people drive is a reflection of how they behave generaly in society,without thought most of the time,mind you there are always more good drivers than bad out there..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Shame there isn't retesting every five years with a mandatory component about being conciderate to other roads users. If everyone indicated, gave way etc. just imagine how much quickler we'd all get to our destinations.

Out of curiosity, what do you teach about fog lights? I'm hoping in addition to limited visibility threshold they also tell people to turn them off when in traffic. It seems like common sense to me that if I can see you, you can see me and therefore no longer need your fog lights on. It's not like they help you personally see any clearer. In fact your rear fog lights actually make it harder for people behind you to see your brake lights.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RichardD said:
Out of curiosity, what do you teach about fog lights? I'm hoping in addition to limited visibility threshold they also tell people to turn them off when in traffic.
I get really annoyed sitting behind someone with their rear fogs on in slow moving traffic when it's dark outside and no lighting on the road - I find they actually hurt my eyes!

·
Registered
159 Posts
236 You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.
[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]
Looks like they have it covered.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_069859

Have an old buddy who's a police sergeant, recall him saying ignorance isn't an excuse on this one, the drivers choice... spot fine if you admit you had them on inapproriately, court visit otherwise for "driving without due care an attention".

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nicki said:
I get really annoyed sitting behind someone with their rear fogs on in slow moving traffic when it's dark outside and no lighting on the road - I find they actually hurt my eyes!
yeah i hate HATE does people what i do is i turn on the high beam till they turn it off surprisingly it works most of the time :), (i live in mexico where fog is super rare so people just put them to look 'cool')

·
Registered
17 Posts
I teach my pupils to use fog lights only when visibility is less than 100 metres,and to switch them off when a vehicle is following so they don't dazzle.It is common sense,unfortunately common sense is'nt common..
As far as front fog lights go i rarely use them as i don't see that much benefit from them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As a driving instructor i take issue with your comment about teaching to pass a test and not to drive.That simply is not true,my learner drivers are taught to drive properly and responsibly,not just to pass a test,what they do after they pass is beyond my control therefore i do agree with your comment about the standard of driving.The way that people drive is a reflection of how they behave generaly in society,without thought most of the time,mind you there are always more good drivers than bad out there..

I wasn't criticising your or any other driving instructors ability but just making a personal observation. You may be right and I may be wrong.

I too have advanced driving qualifications and I have to say that it wasn't until I got them that I realised the difference between 'driving the car' and 'driving around in it'. I was fortunate as it was until very recently part of my job and I didn't have to pay for what is very costly and delivered by some of the best road drivers I have ever had the pleasure to be with.

I do agree that a lot of peoples driving reflects their general behaviour but when you see people driving in excess of speed limits, shaving whilst driving, reading, failing to indicate (when it would be beneficial) failing to cancel indicators, cutting in front of you then immediately breaking, pulling out without completing a shoulder check...........I could go on. That does leave me in despair of their general behaviour.

Keep up the good work.

Ian

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with most of the points raised. Sick to death of others driving so close to me in snow and ice, especially when I was in my big rear wheel drive merc., which was useless. And I have plenty of experience of driving in snow and ice, but basically some cars are a lot worse than others. It was clear to me that some people of no idea of this.

Front wheel drive cars with thin wheels much easier, but many of their drivers assume all cars are the same. the slightest touch of the brake could send the big bus's tail out!

Having said all that , I just checked the world health stats and per 100,000 inhabitants/fatalities per annum, the UK is almost at the bottom of the list. Imagine what it would be like if everyone did the IAM test.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The main cause of all the above problems is by people not thinking behind the wheel. It's just the case of asking yourself simple questions.

Is it so hard to realise that fog lights dazzle other road users in good visibility?
Is it so hard to realise that after dark / in the rain lights should be used? (I've once even seen big bus on the M8 with no lights in the dark morning...luckily some passengers used the reading lights)
Is it so hard to realise that others can't read your mind and don't know where you intend to go without using indicators?
Is it so hard to realise that on wet/snow/ice braking distance is longer?
Is it so hard to realise that driving 10m behind the other car @70mph leaves less time to brake than @30mph?
Is it so hard to realise that snow left on the car is eventually going to slide over the windsscreen / toward other cars?
Is it so hard to realise that all windscreen should be clear, not just 20cm circle?
Is it so hard to realise that after overtaking, pulling 5m in front of other car in the rain, especially without mudflaps reduces his visibility to zero?
Is it so hard to realise that huge wheels on the high suspension without mudflaps in the rain is causing massive spray behind?
Is it so hard to realise that the faster lane is to overtake and you should go back after completing the manoever?
Is it so hard to realise that turning right on the roundabout from the far left lane is dangerous?
Is it so hard to realise that reading books while driving is planely stupid? (yeah, I see it every day on M8 by bored lorry drivers)
Is it so hard to realise that driving closely behind other cars and braking hard when they slow causes traffic jams some time later on the motorway (scientifically proven - I won't mention how many times on M8 I was stuck for no apparent reason).
Is it so hard to realise that slowing down whole faster lane from 70 to 40 just because you wanted get in front of the others cars patiently going slower to exit motorway is just wrong? (seeing this almost every day on M8 Westbound @Livingston junction).
Is it so hard to realise that roundabouts are designed for the smooth traffic so when you can safely slot between 2 vehicles on it - you should, rather than stop?
Is to is hard to realise that driving 30mph on the 1 lane A road WILL cause massive traffic and more people taking uncecessary risk overtaking?

Rant over :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why are you lot all so hung up with indicators?
Would you pull out into the path of a car because it has its indicator on? Trusting that it was going to do what the indicator was showing. I wouldn't.

The ONLY thing that a flashing indicator tells you for sure is the bulb is working!!!! (ref IAM)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts