Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well, my S-line has developed the infamous passenger seat rattle as well .. ah well. However, i think i've tracked it down to what is causing it. The catch that flips the seat forward pulls various springs etc to release a catch that hooks onto a small horizontal pivot. The catch is attached to the folding (upright) part of the seat and is the part the moves when the handle is pulled. It is found behind and just underneath the passenger seat belt lock. Its this pivoting plate that rattles. It has quite a loose fit, but when you have a passenger it butts it right up to the horizontal bar and wedges it still. Its easy to see when the seat is folded forward, as it has a spring attached, and in my case has white paint marks, obviously applied to aid in the installation. Now, has anyone had any success with their dealers to fix this, or any ideas how to stop the excessive play?
Heres a pic:

Regards
Chris

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think i've found a fix! :D

Nice and simple too. make sure the seat properly clicks back in place after you fold the back .. well... back . Also a quick waggle of the release handle makes sure of this. I'm hoping it eases up a bit as time progresses. I think it may be just to the stiffness of everything as its new... :?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for this info, I also have this rattle on my Sport model, I will now have a look to see if I can find a permanent fix.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found another rattle :)

its the passenger seatbelt clip socket thingy dooda (with the red button)

One side has a felt soundproofer, but isnt anywhere near something it may hit. However, the face that faces inwards towards the seat doesnt have this, and hits the plastic trim....

Chris Ryu.. anyway of getting the felt sticker to stick onto the other side??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Found my rattle. Not the seat or mechanism as suspected on mine but it was the seat belt lower fastener rattling against the side of the seat when it was not being used. Fixed it with a small piece of self adhesive foam stuck to the side of the seat which holds the fastener away and is invisible. Easy fix and no more annoying rattle. :x

·
Registered
151 Posts
Dealer has apparently 'adjusted and lubricated mine' which to me means they have no idea what was/wrong and probably haven't resolved it.

First impressions are that it is quieter, but not gone altogether. Me-thinks the noise will come back again too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just my 2p worth.

I have the dreaded rattle as well, initial find was the mechanism that OP found - managed to squeeze a thin strip of self-adhesive felt.

2nd rattle is the metal bar than runs underneath the seat from left to right. There are 2 bars, one that loops up and then back down, and one that seems to be straight across - the 2nd one had quite a bit of play, which me and my mate checked over and over, and the only real way to fix it will be to take the whole seat out and adjust with proper nylon washers - something I have spoken to my $tealers about (will post an update when I get forward with this).

3rd is also what has been posted - the passenger side seatbelt mechanism rubbing/hitting the plastic trim - again, all it needs is a strip of self-adhesive felt and that should quieten it.

What I find disappointing is that such a high quality make like Audi can make such elementary mistakes ! :oops:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Anymore updates/ fixes for this passenger seat rattle
Does the silicon spray work on the catches?? i have tried to pad the bar underneath, but still struggling with rattles from it.
Have any of you or the dealers been able to cure the faults yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've taken mine back to the $tealers and the technician could see the problem when I just wiggled the seat with my fingers ! He said it should not be like that. I mentioned it might be a case of the seat being taken out and adjusted/fitted more snugly with some nylon washers.

He mentioned a little bit of play is there from factory on most cars he has seen so far. He also said they have seen silly things like coins managing to wedge into the mechanism and causing problems (don't know how, but OK, at least he was being honest).

But he agreed the whole seat will have to be taken out and taken apart - so 2 days of work. Just waiting for them to sort out a suitable date for booking the car in to get this done - probably sometime next week at the earliest. Will post up the results.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got the car back late Friday evening from the $tealers - they have changed the seat base.

After driving for the last couple of days, judgement so far is that it seems to have cured the rattle. What they have also done is stuck soft felt between the seatbelt holder bit and the seat, which is what I had discussed with the technician.

Will monitor over the next few weeks just to be certain.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just got my a1 today and straight away noticed a rattle. Wasnt sure where it was comming from but sound as if this could be the answer, so thanks for the post, will give it a try,cheers guys.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
anyone know which bit is causing this? starting to get on my nerves now

·
Registered
77 Posts
Make sure it is not the passenger seat belt banging against the seat.
Some plastic gizmos from a DIY shop sorted mine.
Just hold the seat belt (female bit) when driving to check.............

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
E172Essex said:
No its def something under the seat, I only hear it on bumpy roads..

·
Registered
77 Posts
taconite2 said:
E172Essex said:
Erm, well you would,its a rattle :)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
taconite2 said:
E172Essex said:
It's a severed hand under your seat.......eject, eject!! :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts