Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find any in depth details about the front and rear parking sensors (plenty about the rear). My understanding is that if you get just the rear installed you only get an acoustic sound. However, if you get the front installed also, you also get an image on the screen. I'm considering getting these retrofitted but not sure if it would be worth doing the front as well as the back.

Is this true, and what information does the screen give you? Does it look any good? Perhaps someone has some pictures of theirs?

·
Registered
284 Posts
It's very difficult to retro fit the parking sensors connected to the MMI Unit.
The picture you get (in case you buy from factory both front and rear sensors) is equal to a Golf or a Passat. Mainly a draw of your car showing some stripes as you aproach objects.

I got my rear sensors retrofited at my dealer, mainly because they cost half than they would if they came from factory. Although I don't get to control the "bip" tune nor the "volume of the bips" on the MMI unit.
But they work OK so it's fine by me :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Zero... I understand the picture you describe.

I too did not get the rear parking sensors at build because I noticed they were cheaper if they were retrofitted. There is quite a difference between getting just rear parking sensors, and the full set. Are there any significant enhancements in the MMI if you get the front and the rear?

Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are looking at £246 for rear sensors, and £270 for front - that is inclusive of fitting costs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
mrfaize said:
If rear sensors are retro fitted is the rear bumper resprayed? Is that included in the price?
No need to respray rear bumper, there are marked holes which need to be drilled out to fit the sensors

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
mrfaize said:
Do the sensors come pre-painted or are they painted/sprayed by dealer?
The instructions include how to paint them, but the ones I have look like they may have been supplied painted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know I am adding to an old post, but I take delivery of my new A1 at the beginning of March, and havn't included parking sensors in the order. I asked the dealer today for a quote to add the rear parking sensors, and he said that it would be £465! The posts above say that other dealers have quoted around the £250 mark. What am I missing?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Do you really need sensors on a car like A1?

Its got a great turning circle compared to most cars. Ands its tiny??? Save your money IMO

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is what I thought initially, but I've read through a few posts on the forum and the general consensus seems to think they are a good idea. Not to mention the missus will drive the car from time to time and I dont rate her parking skills.

Regardless, for nearly £500 I'd rather not have them, but for £250 I'd be interested.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The rear ones are very useful, especially since there is no plastic protective strip on the bumper.

That comes from a guy who didn't have them on previous, 60cm longer car and never scratched it (bumper, not the strip haha :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.