Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum and first of all thanks to everyone!
I'm buying my first A1 and people's comments have helped me a lot.

I'd like to get opinions on a colour for the sportback and in particular if you think our choices will impact resale values.

Basically it comes down to 2 options that my wife and I more or less agree on. Either metallic silver with a black roof or Samoa orange with a black roof. In both cases black rear view mirrors.

We went for black because the sunroof disappears with the gloss black roof.

But for the Orange Samoa I have some concerns because of websites like this:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/advice/buying/2012/february/audi-a1-sportback-buying-guide
"Most of the colour choices are pretty conventional but there are a few, such as the 'Samoa orange metallic', that may prove less desirable than others."
And in a google search people (mostly) suggest sticking to non-flashy colours
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=car+colour+resale+value+site:uk

What do you think?

(p.s. it will be a 185 sport)

cheers
Mark
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,965 Posts
markinbrussels said:
Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum and first of all thanks to everyone!
I'm buying my first A1 and people's comments have helped me a lot.

I'd like to get opinions on a colour for the sportback and in particular if you think our choices will impact resale values.

Basically it comes down to 2 options that my wife and I more or less agree on. Either metallic silver with a black roof or Samoa orange with a black roof. In both cases black rear view mirrors.

We went for black because the sunroof disappears with the gloss black roof.

But for the Orange Samoa I have some concerns because of websites like this:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/advice/buying/2012/february/audi-a1-sportback-buying-guide
"Most of the colour choices are pretty conventional but there are a few, such as the 'Samoa orange metallic', that may prove less desirable than others."
And in a google search people (mostly) suggest sticking to non-flashy colours
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=car+colour+resale+value+site:uk

What do you think?

(p.s. it will be a 185 sport)

cheers
Mark
I like Samoa although i am sure many do not. (Samoa/Daytona looks great)

I think selling privately you would be fine as the colour would be quite rare and i am sure there would be people looking for a used Samoa one.

Selling to a dealer or pxing is where the sales guy will probably come out with the 'hmmm, nice car but it would be hard to sell due to the colour' and offer a low price.

I say go for what colour you want, not what the next person may want.

Do they now do a 185 Sport? Or did you mean 185 S-Line Sportback?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mojito

Thanks for the reply (I was also thinking in this direction but wondered what the general opinion was or if anyone has had experience with the Colour). I read another Post saying someone had made a "bold" choice.

And here in Belgium it *is* possible to buy a 185 Sport:

SE = Attraction (studid name)
Sport = Ambition (also stupid)
S line = S line

The 185 Sport comes looking like the S-line on the outside but without the S-line interior package (it possible to add this for 2,200 euro extra).
Effectively the body kit + 17 inch wheels, higher performance engine, and some cosmetic interior changes cost 2800 euro extra over the 122 Sport (which I think is a bargain - hot hatches are not that popular here in Belgium).

cheers
Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Having ordered the Samoa orange model you may think me biased!
But after Both my wife and myself instantly liked the colour choice it was a no brainer really. As already mentioned before but I totally agree , you're buying the car for yourself not the next buyer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
It may be a bit more difficult to sell it, but on the other hand, I have sold three cars during the past 7 years and every time, people are trying to find a reason in order to lower the price.

If you like the colour, go for it! I had the same concern, but I got it and absolutely love it!

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,965 Posts
Looks really nice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the positive comments.

Indeed, I was probably more worried that I'd end up hating the colour in a year or two and not really about the money. I'm glad you still love yours Constantine - if gives me confidence we will too.
Nice pics, I'm taking the same alloys as you and they look great with the colour!

I hope they can do the Samoa with black roof (I can choose it on the Audi web site in Belgium and the UK but it is not in the printed catalog) but will go for Daytona Grey (no sunroof) if not.

cheers,
Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
I like it, suits the Sportback well especially with the contrast roof and bigger alloy wheels.

In terms of resale value you will probably limit its appeal a little on the used market, but it wouldn't necessarily mean its worth less it might just take slightly longer to sell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
markinbrussels said:
Thanks for all the positive comments.

Indeed, I was probably more worried that I'd end up hating the colour in a year or two and not really about the money. I'm glad you still love yours Constantine - if gives me confidence we will too.
Nice pics, I'm taking the same alloys as you and they look great with the colour!

I hope they can do the Samoa with black roof (I can choose it on the Audi web site in Belgium and the UK but it is not in the printed catalog) but will go for Daytona Grey (no sunroof) if not.

cheers,
Mark
i think it's better to go for the Daytona grey, rather than the gloss black. Daytona grey is very very nice with a lot of metallic flakes.

When I was about to choose the colour, I was between red with gloss black roof and samoa orange with grey roof. After placing my order, I went to Munich in order to visit a friend and in the Audi Forum they had a red one with black roof. I had a chat with one of the staff there he told me that the grey roof is so much better as the black one looks nice only in the showroom. He said that as soon as you take the car out to the streets, you will start seeing scratches on the roof. After he told me that, I took a close look at the car there and I could spot a few light scratches.

If you go for the grey roof, keep the sunroof. There is a contrast, but the sunroof is a must!





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,619 Posts
Totally agree with the others. Pick the colour you want , not the colour for the next owner.

Also remember it might not be to everyone's taste but there are folk out there who would actually pay more to have that colour second hand as there aren't an awful lot of them about. Its really swings and roundabouts.
Its not my first colour choice but I certainly wouldn't be put off by it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Constantine said:
I had a chat with one of the staff there he told me that the grey roof is so much better as the black one looks nice only in the showroom. He said that as soon as you take the car out to the streets, you will start seeing scratches on the roof. After he told me that, I took a close look at the car there and I could spot a few light scratches.
Possibly due to overzealous abrasive polishing, (in a circular motion?), by the showroom staff. I've got a gloss black roof with a sunroof and after over 3 years use the roof is still virtually unmarked. I only ever wax the car with finishing wax and never use abrasive polish. If anything, the glass sunroof shows more evidence of light scratches than does the painted roof yet of course the glass sunroof is never waxed.

Dust such as tree pollen is the biggest enemy of gloss black as it soon looks less than deep black.

I'd say choose the colour you prefer. When you come to sell there's always a myriad of reasons, (according to the buyer), why your particular car is now only worth peanuts.

Enjoy your choice
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top