Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,

I decided this morning that as the weather was OK, I would give my S Line its first wash and polish :D

I have uploaded some more pics in my gallery here:

http://www.a1-forum.co.uk/a1forum/gallery/album.php?album_id=70

I have the Autoglym Lifeshine so I used the products that came with the car. Quite pleased with the results, especially with the Super Resin Polish. Not so pleased with the polishing cloths as the bits from them get everywhere!!

Now, having polished it I have started to notice the imperfections in the paintwork, namley gold/yellow flakes/circles. I have found them on 4 seperate parts of the car (boot/passenger door handle/front passenger quarter and spolier).

I know several other white owners noticed this, did anyone manage to find why? or if they took it back to the dealer for investigation...

Cheers,
Andrew

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think I'm right that Lady Sadly Broke first raised the gold flek issue. I don't recall the answer being found.

·
Registered
84 Posts
On with my geeky hat again..... :eek:

The yellow fleks you are seeing are most likely to be iron filings, going rusty. Dont panic however!! Near high industry areas (Car factories for example) you get environmental "fall out". Basically debris etc that is in the atmosphere dropping down onto the car. Over time (for instance transport and storage) these particles bond to the paintwork. This is the reason they cant be removed by a simple wash.

Get yourself a clay bar, and some quick detailing fluid (Meguiers do a good starter kit in Halfords etc). Follow the instructions carefully and et voila, you should be set to go. Unfortunately this kinda thing is more noticeable with white cars for obvious reasons and require a bit more work to keep the showroom finish :)

Chris

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that Chris.

I will take a look for something.

I bit peeved off see as tho the car is 2 weeks old...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I haven't resolved mine, but will look very closely at the replacement car at handover.

The markings on mine are a few tiny round spots, not flecks and are on the vertical surfaces of front/rear bumpers - so I don't believe they have fallen from the sky! There are none on the bonnet for example.

If I remember, I will mention them when I do the swap next week.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You'd be suprised! As i understand it the bumpers are painted offsite from the main production line in brussels. Could explain why the problem appears to be confined to those areas.. but as you say, look closely on delivery of the replacement. It SHOULD be something picked up on during the pdi.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Car looks fantastic , glad I ordered the Amalfi now , was swithering on Daytona Gray and Brilliant Red also but white looks stunning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts