Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When waxing my car last weekend, I noticed a little patch of uneven paint at the top of the offside rear wheel arch. It looks like there is a bit of paint missing from one of the coats. It's only small, I can cover it with my thumb - but even so it is disappointing. It must have been there right from the start, so again a bit miffed that it wasn't dealt with instead of being handed over to me with a flaw.

I've spoken to my dealer and have had to take the car down to their bodyshop for examination. The chap there was very empathetic. friendly and reassuring. He took measurements of how many microns of paint there are on all the panels of my car and took photos etc to send to Audi UK.

Now I am waiting to hear if Audi UK want to send out an inspector, which they may do because it is a new model or whether they will simply authorise a repair under warranty. Bodyshop man says that in any case they can put it right and I will never be able to see it.

Whilst chatting, I asked him about the yellow flecks that some of us have had on our white paintwork. He confirmed that it is usually environmental fall-out and that the marks tend to show after the car gets wet and the metal deposits corrode. He was of the opinion that they should polish off (which they have on my 2nd car).

Ironically, I saw my previous A1 down at the bodyshop too (which was a surprise because the main dealership and the bodyshop are miles apart). Aparently, it is being used as a loan car at the moment, which seems a little sad. :cry:

What with this paint problem and the bluetooth connection issue that sometimes occurs, I can't help wondering if I should have stuck with my first car. I wonder if the first launch ones were checked more carefully than later ones?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have noticed today that when opening the boot on left hand side a bubbling effect near led lights,i have informed my dealer which i am taking back tomorrow.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
davking said:
I have noticed today that when opening the boot on left hand side a bubbling effect near led lights,i have informed my dealer which i am taking back tomorrow.
Awww, that's not good either. Do let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Took car into dealer today and the salesmen took some photos and noticed the paint on the rubber stop on the boot,will let you know more when i get a reply from dealer

·
Registered
74 Posts
Went back to dealers today and they looked at the problem and have said that will need repairing which should just take a day,also adjusted rubber bump stop on boot which was causing the problem(not adjusted at factory),the rubber on the bottom of boot is only found on sline not on sport or se.Even they where confused by what it was

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi

Would you believe it, I have looked at my boot today and I think I have a similar problem. On the left hand side, just below the light fitting, is an area where the paint is grazed right down to the metal. Looking at it, hubby says there is an adustable stopper which is supposed to stop the boot lid from striking the paint - but that this has not been quite right. Mine is a Sport.

To be honest, I am feeling a bit glum about my car now. I have a Bluetooth problem, a paint defect on the wheel-arch, and now something wrong with the boot/paint. Oh and to cap it all, I noticed today that there is a nasty cabin rattle - possibly from the passenger seat.

None of it is show-stopping or insurmountable, but has very much undermined my confidence in my lovely car. I had my doubts when I handed back car No. 1 (which was perfect) and these fears seem to be borne out.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It is annoying i know, but they will sort it all out for you just be firm with them.
It is just strange that they are not picking up on these faults back at factory ,
surley the dealers are reporting these niggles.
Chin up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My dealer has been brilliant.They rang up today to book my car for repair,they are going through warranty and NOT reporting it to audi as they have not had any other problems with other customers cars but as more cars come through with the same problem they might have too look into it

·
Registered
74 Posts
It is not on bootlid but below interior led light,on mine which is a sline there is piece of rubber near the bottom of the boot which is catching the paintwork due to the rubber stopper not been adjusted at the factory.The dealer has altered the rubber stopper with a turn of the rubber stopper and has solved the problem and now just requires the paint to be sorted out now which should only take a day.I will try and take a photo and post it on the site so fellow members can see what i am on about,hope this is some help to you MDPlatts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After reading davking's post, I spotted the problem on mine quite easily. With the boot lid open, I looked up at the rubber pads and noticed the left/hand side one had white on it. Then looking down at the inner edge of the boot, just below the secondary tail light (the one that shows when your boot is open) there was corresponding scraped paint - right down to the bright metal in my case.

I can see that this is because the threaded adjustable stopper (on the inside of the lid) has the wrong number of turns on it. I can easily see this issue affecting a lot of A1's - either now or over a period of time if the adjusters get moved. I use the boot every day, so my problem has arisen very quickly i.e. my car is not yet 1 month old.

Like davking, I will see if I can get a photo of it in my gallery shortly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
While cleaning the car just now, i've have found paint flaking off around the inside of the front bumper also on the top rim of the same bumper.The second paint chip maybe a stone chip but the first isn't. Anyone else had this? Also got a rattle from the passenger seat base cushion when seat is empty( now that just drives you mad on a journey until you find out what it is). Still a great drive though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have put some photos on my gallery so fellow members can see what i have sharing with you what the problem is.Hope this a help to fellow a1 owners, dave

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
davking said:
I have put some photos on my gallery so fellow members can see what i have sharing with you what the problem is.Hope this a help to fellow a1 owners, dave
That's exactly the problem mine has. It's curious you were given to understand it was only on S-Lines. My hubby thinks that the plastic pad which hits the paint was an afterthought. It certainly looks like it has been added over the top of the small circular pad.

Perhaps the earlier cars didn't have them? I have no idea if my first car had them or not.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on this, just checked mine and it's through the lacquer and paint, down to the white primer already, definitely not good.

Oh, BTW mine LHS as well, wonder why that is :?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just been out and checked my boot,nothing spotted but am i missing somthing here,as i do not have a rubber that looks anything like the picture davking has posted ? amalfi S-Line. :? Collected Nov 27th.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Checked mine and the left hand side one is down to something dark (but whether its primer or metal I can't tell) - the rhs one had a scuff mark on it but a rub with my finger removed it - but its probably removed some of the clear coat.

We need a fix/solution for this - perhaps remove the big rubber covers for whatevers underneath - the big rubber stoppers further up the lid/opening would be the main ones I would guess - these are just for belt/braces I would presume.

I dont think I can be bothered to take it in to be fixed if a) I can do the fix myself on the rubbers so it doesnt get worse and b) its only an inch long 1mm wide "cut". I have a touch up kit to repair the damage.

I'll probably put 2-3 layers of duct tape over it in the meantime to stop it getting worse.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A1LDU said:
Just been out and checked my boot,nothing spotted but am i missing somthing here,as i do not have a rubber that looks anything like the picture davking has posted ? amalfi S-Line. :? Collected Nov 27th.
When i took mine go dealers last wednesday the head of sales noticed the rubber on the bottom of the boot which he said he has never seen on se or sport,but have just noticed what have just mentioned is this modification as i collected mine 3 weeks ago

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's my two pictures. Top shows the boot lid and the offending plastic/rubber pad (which has traces of white paint on). Lower picture shows the damaged area below the light - which I have covered with foam tape for now.

[album]548[/album]

[album]549[/album]

·
Registered
274 Posts
Same as mine - only the left side has that much damage - so you just took off the rubber cover on the lid, screwed the thing inside it in a bit and put the rubber cover back on ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.